TV Games Kick Off Times

Spiderpig

Your Preferred Weekend Kick Off Time  

82 members have voted

1. 1. What is you preferred kick-off time?

• Friday Night 7:45pm approx.
    • Saturday Lunchtime 12:30pm approx.
    • Saturday Afternoon 3pm
    • Saturday Evening 5:30pm
    • Sunday Lunchtime 12:30pm approx.
    • Sunday Afternoon 3pm
    • Sunday Evening 5:30pm approx.
    • Monday Evening 7:45pm

So 12 noon kick off then? Hmmm, right away you alienate all those families who have sons or daughters playing football on Saturday mornings, you can't go upsetting the entire youth system just to prove your point as it then becomes more of a tug of war trying to get fans in, many of whom already have their Saturday planned out, fitba' wi kids in the morning, fitba' at Fir Park afternoon. Just one example but one which potentially loses hundreds of fans, and/or loses hundreds from youth football. Clever thinking. Only higher standard amateur and Junior football is played to coincide with pro games in the afternoon and they're not going to turn up to replace the ones you've just lost cos they're more interested in their own careers.

Plenty more examples to come I'm sure but that one is enough for me.

Not. Sure. if. Serious.

Okay then Last post by. let's put your proposal to the test....

Hopefully covered most bases for a "weekend" slot. What would you preference be?

Poll now active.

Great idea. I think it's obvious what will win the day, but a more interesting poll may be what everyone's choice would be for a TV weekend game moved from the traditional slot. My vote just now would be Friday evening.

I'm certain if the kick off was earlier you'd get an increase on the gate. People need to evolve and stop thinking because it's always been like that somehow makes it right.

I know some will disagree, but more will agree which is why it should change.

Doesn't really sound like your putting across your opinion or own preference there. Looks like you are claiming to be delivering facts. That's why I'm saying you're wrong. Of course you're entitled to prefer whatever kickoff time you like, but when you say you are certain that's what the majority wants then you become wrong.

It don't really worries me when the game kicks off.

It is usually around midnight or zero zero dark early here when the games kick off, a 7:45pm KO means its breaky time here.

So I vote for going back to the traditional time of 3:00pm Saturday kick offs for ALL games. (and 7:45pm KO's for midweek for cup ties & Euro games)

Whether you agree with last post by's assertion that lunchtime Saturday would be the best standard kick-off time or not, he does raise a valid point. Kick-off has been Saturday 3pm for as long as any of us can remember. But the decision was made when work patterns and lifestyles were different. If we want to look at pricing, quality of football, matchday experience and other factors to explain falling attendances, then why not the time the games are played.

I'm not suggesting that crowds would increase if all games were played at 5pm or lunchtime, but it shouldn't be blasphemy to ask the question "is 3pm on a Saturday the best time?". And I mean really ask the question why we play then, why it's the most convenient. Because if the best answer you can come up with is "we've always played then, it's tradition", is that really thinking about it..?

• Like 1

It has been considered many times though and 3pm on a Saturday seems to work well for most fans.

When has it really been looked at? You really need to ask the people who used to go to the games as well as those of us who still do. Pretty sure there's never been a serious look at it without the "traditionalists" shouting it down. The dirty little secret of these "traditionalists"? Most of them would still be there if games kicked off at 5pm. Question is would more people manage to games if it was then?

Frankly (and I know I'm only speaking for me), 5pm on a Saturday would be a lot better than 3pm. But I still go. Are there people who share my opinion but that don't go to games? There's a debate to be had but it never happens because it gets bogged down by traditionalists wanting more games at 3pm and moaning about the time of TV games. Why not look if there's a time that'd get more fans into non televised games and we won't have to suckle as hard at SKY's teat...

Saturday afternoon at 3pm for me 99/100 times. Gives me time to do what I need to on Saturday morning, get through to Motherwell, visit family, then head up to the Cooper for a pre-match pint. Any earlier and I'm struggling. Any later and I'm pottering about waiting to head through. The 1 out of 100 case is the odd Friday night, simply if I happen to have something on that weekend, it's handy if the game's on a Friday to save missing it (Hibs last October as an example).

Anything earlier than 3pm is just plain wrong in my book. I'll still go to the games, I have a season ticket after all, but it's inconvenient.

If you fancy shucking tradition, start with trying summer football

Again, a debate people don't really want to have. "People are on holiday, have other stuff to do". Never gets beyond that. Doesn't strike them that if you have kids and match prices are reasonable then a lot of people would rather take their kids to a game than spend the same amount of money going to the cinema to see Disney's latest offering. Improve the matchday experience (make it an experience, facepainting, music, various food stalls - all more viable in warmer weather), see how many families you can encourage to keep coming back. Kids spend more at the football than adults (I have found to my cost). But you still get the adults admission price if they're bringing them along...

But then this requires imagination, which is in short supply in the corridors of power of Scottish football..

When has it really been looked at? You really need to ask the people who used to go to the games as well as those of us who still do. Pretty sure there's never been a serious look at it without the "traditionalists" shouting it down. The dirty little secret of these "traditionalists"? Most of them would still be there if games kicked off at 5pm. Question is would more people manage to games if it was then?

The Friday night kickoffs is probably the last time this situation was really looked at.

There is another word for those traditionalists - the majority. That is why they keep getting heard. Of course a lot of them would turn up any time, they are fans and do what they can to get to games. Same for the fans that want 5pm or Monday nights etc.

5pm on a Saturday might be fine if you are tootling back from Fir Park, but driving home from Inverness in February probably not so much. The last thing we want to do is start penalising travelling supporters.

Again, a debate people don't really want to have. "People are on holiday, have other stuff to do". Never gets beyond that. Doesn't strike them that if you have kids and match prices are reasonable then a lot of people would rather take their kids to a game than spend the same amount of money going to the cinema to see Disney's latest offering. Improve the matchday experience (make it an experience, facepainting, music, various food stalls - all more viable in warmer weather), see how many families you can encourage to keep coming back. Kids spend more at the football than adults (I have found to my cost). But you still get the adults admission price if they're bringing them along...

But then this requires imagination, which is in short supply in the corridors of power of Scottish football..

I would say that this is what should be discussed I agree with what you say there mate...and I would suggest that the KO times and days to suit that.

I've already stated one reason for Sat 3pm kick offs, I don't see much more of an argument for stupid O'clock kick-offs other than just to get it up the traditionalists. Folk and families do other things Sat mornings, Sat nights, Sundays, all could be changed but don't have to. Changing times will not attract more fans I'm sure of that, in fact it would probably go the opposite way.

Anyways no-one wants to listen to reasoned arguments it seems other than just being a traditionalist so I'll leave that one. Summer fitba' is one I've come round to accepting is the way forward. Never in a million years would I have thought that when I was playing, rather go out and run about to keep warm on a freezing day than be sweltered, but for watching it makes perfect sense. Going back to kids fitba', an absolute must to change, way too many games called off then a mad rush in the last few weeks to get games played for end of May. Holidays are spread round the year these days so not so big an impact as 20 yrs ago when everyone went on holiday at The Fair here.

I wasn't having a go at you, Matt, as you pointed out you at least give some reasons for your thinking (whether I agree with them or not). But there are a lot of people who simply state they prefer 3pm "because there's no need to change it", they won't even discuss the subject...

Obviously, never going to get a kick-off time that suits every fan. And that's going to get worse as people's working weeks become less traditionally "Mon-Fri 9-5". I think it's a discussion worth having even if afterwards, the answer is still Saturday 3pm..

The thing is, we do play summer football. June is about the only month the players don't have a game.

Depending on when you start, pre-season could be an issue too. And then there is the issue with teams that make European League stages (albiet far-fecched currently). Is there a schedule we could adopt that would mean they don't have to play for 12 months?

And when we shut down for 4 week Euro and World Cup competitions in the summer (plus the added time the FIFA/UEFA allows teams to conscript players ahead of that), then we would be creeping back into winter 2 years out of every 4.

Of course, we could do a 16 team league with a nice winter shutdown - as long as we keep the 3pm kick-offs :)