St.mirren V Motherwell 14/9/13

Yabba's Turd

I don't make it to many away games days but went today and enjoyed the game. It was a bit of a strange game though - there were spells for both teams where there was some quality play and possession and also spells where both teams played as though they'd never kicked a ball before with everything being mis-hit.

St. Mirren were let down by their final ball and decision making up front, particularly in the first half when they came onto a game and had a lot of good possession with out really troubling Hollis. Our goal was a bit against the run of play and difficult to see the reason for the delayed reaction -couldn't tell if it was nearly saved and crept over or if it was just we needed Sutton to get up and celebrate to know we had definitely scored.

We should have put the game away in the second half with a run of good chances. Anier in particular just needed to lift the ball slightly to get it over the goalie's foot. Bob McHugh was very unlucky not to get a well hit shot on target and Hutch hit the bar with a header he tried to place into the top corner. A nervy finish but I thought we deserved it for creating the better chances.

I actually thought they should have had a penalty and would need to see it on TV. Although Lasley started his challenge outside the box, he continued to slide into the box and I thought the St. Mirren player had evaded the challenge before finally being caught by Lasley's toe when he had got into the box.

Hard fought 3 points and an enjoyable game for me. I also thought Hammell showed his experience in adapting well to the right back position and Angol played well at left back and still managed to put in some good crosses including the one he hung up for Sutton.

Police all over Scotland are ar*eholes !! I had the pleasure of being singled out up at Inverness a couple of years ago, me and the lads were a bit pished having a laugh as you do celebrating a good win then on the way out this big copper grabs me pulls me to the side and snarls in my face "you and your fu*king pals aren't coming in to my town to cause problems" that made my mates angry and they reacted to it which then means the polis were on top of them as well !! Police Scotland as they are now are a shower of wan*kers towards football fans especially of smaller clubs cause they can't treat the old scum fans like that due to the sheer number of them. I can confidently say there is some lads on here who can relate to this story ??

• Like 2

Smoke bombs are illegal yes. People have been constantly warned that it's too big a risk.

But 50 odd police? undercover police? kettleing tactics? taking everybody in the end sections details? searching 15 year olds in toilets? not being allowed to leave without giving up ones details?

Can anybody honestly say that is valid use of resources? An appropriate response to the crimes alleged to be committed? or in any way an acceptable way to treat largely innocent supporters?

• Like 1

Tried to post earlier but battery ran out.

I got in just before ko, so may well have been till roll spindles which Thomson removed, although there was def smoke bomb beyond the ad boards, albeit not on pitch.

That said, the stewarding/policing was stil waaay over the top.

Expect them do deploy the same tactics with the Celtic fans... oh, wait.

the smoke bomb on the other side of the boards was moved out the stand by a steward who then made an arse of putting out.

I think they were daft to give the police an excuse by having smoke bombs but i'm certain no one threw one.

I've been to games where it's obvious there's sections of the crowd looking for trouble but today was not one of them yet the police took the decision to bring in reinforcements as the second half went on and take a very confrontational approach which could well have caused problems with a more aggressive crowd.

Yes, they're entitled to take action against anyone letting off smoke bombs but they decided to surround an entire section of the stand as they obviously didn't have a clue who to go for. I counted four smoke bombs being let off which led to them bringing in huge numbers of police for a group of supporters who were otherwise singing and enjoying themselves and not in an aggressive manner. Even the section of the stand I was sitting in behind the goals had loads of stoney faced police below the stand as we left. I hope there were no genuine emergencies in Paisley as all the police were in our stand - it must have been costing St. Mirren a fortune.

Supposedly Chick Young reported the game was held up for two minutes due to the ref removing flares. He did briefly delay a corner as he picked up the inserts from till rolls which were used as streamers before the game started. Sensationalist reporting like that doesn't help anyone but Mr. Young has previous for exaggerating or even making up incidents involving our support.

I think they were daft to give the police an excuse by having smoke bombs but i'm certain no one threw one.

That's it in a nutshell. Everyone knows by now that you can't let off smoke bombs inside any SPFL ground. Regardless of whether you agree or disagree with the regulation, you can't argue it exists.

Moreover, after all the good work done by the bois (and the club) to promote themselves and gain wider acceptance at away grounds - this is a backwards step. If the club is fined, that just makes it even worse.

None of that excuses heavy handed policing or stewarding - some common sense needs to be show by them too.

But why even give them the chance?

• Like 2

From what I could see the smoke bomb was dropped onto the pitch by a steward

That puts a different slant on it then. Didn't see who done it but the fine would be for an object entering the field of play and if it wasn't a Motherwell fan who did it then we surely can't be fined.

In saying that, speaking to one of the polis who told me that they were summoned from Ibrox by the St Mirren security staff and were told that there was some sort of riot going on so came in mob handed

This...

whether you agree with the rule or not, the minute you let a smoke bomb off you are inviting yourself to get into trouble.

The offence is "entering or attempting to enter the stadium" with them.

Smoke bombs are illegal yes. People have been constantly warned that it's too big a risk.

I think they were daft to give the police an excuse by having smoke bombs

Yes, they're entitled to take action against anyone letting off smoke bombs

That's it in a nutshell. Everyone knows by now that you can't let off smoke bombs inside any SPFL ground. Regardless of whether you agree or disagree with the regulation, you can't argue it exists.

the point is they shouldn't be in the ground at all

I love the party atmosphere that’s created by the Well Bois, and they really have given our support a much needed kick up the arse. Sing, dance, make noise, wave flags, however please don't take anymore smoke bombs into stadiums.

• Like 1

This...

I love the party atmosphere that's created by the Well Bois, and they really have given our support a much needed kick up the arse. Sing, dance, make noise, wave flags, however please don't take anymore smoke bombs into stadiums.

None of this justifies the reaction of the St Mirren security staff or for that matter the Police who came charging in mob handed spoiling for a fight.

That puts a different slant on it then. Didn't see who done it but the fine would be for an object entering the field of play and if it wasn't a Motherwell fan who did it then we surely can't be fined.

In saying that, speaking to one of the polis who told me that they were summoned from Ibrox by the St Mirren security staff and were told that there was some sort of riot going on so came in mob handed

It's an odd one there were a couple of smoke bombs but no confrontation or negative interaction with the stewards, someone bottled it today be it Security staff or Match Commander and hit the panic button.

IMO the positives the Bois bring to games far outway any negatives and if a few smoke bombs is all we have to worry about then I for one am prepared to put up with them.

The very nature of these groups mean they sail close to the wind and will inevitably cross the line at times. They are young guys full of the drink and expecting impeccable behaviour at every game is just being unrealistic.

I have read many fans say we have the best away support in the league with regards to atmosphere and they are a form of entertainment in their own right. The time, money and effort these guys put in to what they do is nothing short of fantastic. You really do notice when they are not there.

In saying all that I don't think smoke bombs add anything to the atmosphere. It seems to me using them is just sticking two fingers up to the authorities. A you can't tell us what to do gesture if you like.

Oh, Big... John.... Sutton... Motherwell's no. 9!

• Like 1

if a few smoke bombs is all we have to worry about then I for one am prepared to put up with them.

As I said on this early on this thread smoke bombs don't particularly bother me, however the authorities view them differently.

Can anyone confirm if a fine is handed out, is it us or St.Mirren who have to stump up the cash? If it's us, I am sure that Motherwell will not be prepared or afford to put up with them.

None of this justifies the reaction of the St Mirren security staff or for that matter the Police who came charging in mob handed spoiling for a fight.

This.

Police tactics were so wide of the mark today. there was what 3 or 4 smoke bombs? yet 50 odd police? fuck knows how many detained after the final whistle?

Any body who thinks that the police were in any way justified in their actions today is a complete loon.

Sing, bang the drum, bounce around and support the team and it is unlikely you will get much bother. Let of smoke bombs then your asking for unwanted attention. They dont write the rules but need to apply them. I've been lifted previously at a match and looking back it was me acting the clown! (Shocker!!)

It ain't my cup of tea but the lads do bring much needed atmosphere to matches. Cut out the smoke bombs and such likes and you won't see too much bother at away matches!

• Like 2

Selective policing as always, shower of bullying bastards creating more problems than the supposed culprits.

Explain this one Fat Controller

"We are very keen to provide an enjoyable atmosphere at games but the threat posed from smoke bombs and flares is significant.

What threat? The stand isn't going to burn down from a smoke bomb, it's a minor inconvenience for folk in the immediate area but threat?

Usual talking bollocks, and holding the lads back at the end for "Public Safety" reasons? More lies and shite from the supposed guardians of the law. Picking on the youngest element to prove a point is bullying and causes more resentment, leading to potential real unrest. Caused by those meant to be keeping order. They need questions asked of their role at football as it seems they actually want to provoke disorder to give them something to do.

• Like 1

Usual talking bollocks, and holding the lads back at the end for "Public Safety" reasons?

To be fair the law states that smoke bombs shouldn't be allowed in the ground. Same way you would be ejected for brining a few cans of lager into the ground.

The main lads who lead the group put in a huge amount of work and they are a huge asset, however a few clowns are undoing the good work by giving the police/stewards reason to start ejecting and lifting folk.

The things are band so can't complain when they take action.

To be fair the law states that smoke bombs shouldn't be allowed in the ground. Same way you would be ejected for brining a few cans of lager into the ground.

The main lads who lead the group put in a huge amount of work and they are a huge asset, however a few clowns are undoing the good work by giving the police/stewards reason to start ejecting and lifting folk.

The things are band so can't complain when they take action.

OH you can complain when such selective action is taken. Unlawfully detaining a group of 14-15 yr olds, threatening to arrest other family members merely looking out for their family, OTT policing is not justified in any way here.

The smoke bomb was at the start of it, the detention inside the ground had nothing to do with that other than our big brave polis flexing their muscles. "Public safety" was not compromised in any way but was quoted as a reason for their detention. Lies, outright lies.