Where Do We Go From Here ?

gilmour

What we need to do is re-adjust our expectations.

I broadly agree with your post as regards league football but the other night was a completely different situation.

We've been one of the best teams in Scotland for 4 seasons now, yet when it comes to cup football we choke, while lesser teams go on to pick up silver wear.

It's all the more galling that we've consistently made the same mistakes in preparation for these matches.

If fans feel hurt and disappointed it's because it seems we want success more than the management and the players do. Cup matches aren't about overall qualities, it's about desire and will to win over 90 or 120 minutes. We have consistently failed to show that, over and over again. If there is bad feeling among the support it's not just about Wednesday night it's about a long string of cup failures.

I'll be there on Sunday as always but I genuinely feel pretty down right now and I guess a lot of supporters will feel the same.

We do have a few what i'd call '1st div' players in our squad that is dragging us down but a fit Faddy and Ainsworth and Annier surely can get us the results we need to get us back on track.

i disagree with the vast majority of your posts, so much so that sometimes i wonder if we actually go to the same game

can you please enlighten me which players we have in our squad that are 1st div players that are dragging us down

Just to reply to Weesacs. The first div players who are dragging us down are as follows. Nielson. Cummins. Lawson. Carswell. McHugh and a clearly unfit McFadden who doesn't look an SPL player either at the moment. Not particularly impressed with Vigours either. Over to the happy clappers. <_>

Where to start.

Anyone any idea what our best XI is, what formation suits us best?

With everyone fit I'm happy enough with the back four. Hollis has actually been ok as well. Neilson I think is more error prone but maybe not the worst back up ever and enough decents saves I wouldn't want to write him off.

Sutton is a decent SPL striker and largely doing what we'd expect of him. However the service to all of our strikers this season is poor. We lack the movement, pace, flair and creativity we had last season. We look quite pedestrian and despite occassionally theatening to play football have rarely imposed ourselves on games.

Young lad Moore does look reasonably bright and I hope he gets more of a look in but after a positive start Anier has looked anonymous last couple of months. McHugh just isn't up to it, can score now and again but really not enough to his game.

The midfield who knows what to do with. Lasley is fairly reliable, Carswell isn't the worst player ever, Vigurs show glimpses of talent as does McFadden but neither really contributing anything like enough. Jury is out on Ainsworth and Lawson certainly isn't the answer of the questions involves where do we get some pace or creativity from.

That we have 22 points seems like a minor miracle, or just shows how bad some other teams are but it is looking like a long season unless McCall can find a balance that is sorely lacking thus far.

1384021661[/url]' post='398834']

As much as it pains me to see my team toiling, a small part of me thinks a dose of reality might weed out some of the absolute plamfs among our support who seem to think the successes of recent years are a god given right

Don't think anyone thinks success at a Club like Motherwell is anything like a 'god- given right', and why we'd want anyone 'weeded' out of our small support is strange. We are fucking garbage right now, and have been all season, how we have 22points on the board is incredible.....the supporters have every right to express their opinion on how they think their team is doing.

Success or failure for us isn't over a run of 5 or 6 results or anything approaching that for motherwell FC

We have had transfer windows that looked like failure that in reality were inspired, more often than not we've had just plain old successful ones. And very rarely we have one that doesn't really work out the way that we hoped. success for failure for us shouldn't be judged over one or two transfer windows either though we've got to have a wee bit more patience than that surely. Right now we're low on options and low on pace and teams like Utd and Aberdeen have brought in better players to strengthen slowly improving core squads nothing to get all that despondent about when you look at the big picture.

We need to get through to January and attempt to bring in some creativity. Probably funded by Hutch's departure, Try to play more on the deck. try to give more of the kids a chance bust most importantly focus more on t he long term future than losing the plot over a bad run. We've had it great for ages. a wee reality check is good for us all.

And as Eddie said earlier hopefully we can weed out some of the folk that don't have the stomach for the fight.

I would also like to add that I would include every single person that booed the announcement of Vigurs being sponsors man of the match.

That proves to me they're a vindictive bunch that form a skewed opinion and stick to it.

Fraser Kerr was my MOTM today followed by Vigurs who at least attempted to find a way through a tremendous Utd side.

There was absolutely no need for that today. he was by no way the worst on show.

• Like 5

Success or failure for us isn't over a run of 5 or 6 results or anything approaching that for motherwell FC

We have had transfer windows that looked like failure that in reality were inspired, more often than not we've had just plain old successful ones. And very rarely we have one that doesn't really work out the way that we hoped. success for failure for us shouldn't be judged over one or two transfer windows either though we've got to have a wee bit more patience than that surely. Right now we're low on options and low on pace and teams like Utd and Aberdeen have brought in better players to strengthen slowly improving core squads nothing to get all that despondent about when you look at the big picture.

We need to get through to January and attempt to bring in some creativity. Probably funded by Hutch's departure, Try to play more on the deck. try to give more of the kids a chance bust most importantly focus more on t he long term future than losing the plot over a bad run. We've had it great for ages. a wee reality check is good for us all.

And as Eddie said earlier hopefully we can weed out some of the folk that don't have the stomach for the fight.

For someone as critical of many posters misspelling players' names, some of the spelling and punctuation in this post is absolutely horrendous.

ETA - Tongue is clearly firmly in cheek.

I would also like to add that I would include every single person that booed the announcement of Vigurs being sponsors man of the match.

That proves to me they're a vindictive bunch that form a skewed opinion and stick to it.

Fraser Kerr was my MOTM today followed by Vigurs who at least attempted to find a way through a tremendous Utd side.

There was absolutely no need for that today. he was by no way the worst on show.

Top 5 for me, perhaps top 3.

I don't really rate him, and I thought he stood out today for at least seeming to care, and being willing to fight as the game went on.

Days like today, hideous though they may be, with performances like he gave will win me over regardless.

1384023915[/url]' post='398846']

Agreed. Vigurs was far from brilliant, but he at least looked like he cared, the reaction for his motm award was poor, although I get the feeling the match sponsor was taking the piss considering ZFA got young player of the match even though he was the worst player on the park

McCall seems intent on playing a conventional 442 with two up front and it's not working and he seems to have no plan B. It worked last season as we had the firepower to outscore teams. Even earlier this season when Anier and Sutton were scoring we were getting away with it but neither has scored since September. In saying that I know the service they get is poor. Again though I would put that down to our formation/tactics.

We have no one to drop deep and pick up the ball from the defence and start attacks like Law or Jennings did so instead we bypass the midfield altogether and go long to Sutton which just isn't working. I thought Lawson would do that role but again he won't fit into a conventional 442 which McCall seems intent on playing so has been hung out to dry and benched. You could say the same for Faddy and Vigurs as well. McCall keeps juggling his players trying to fit them into his system, square pegs in round holes comes to mind.

Take United today, they played with a 4-2-3-1 with Paton and Rankin in front of the back 4 doing the ugly work and keeping it simple allowing the front 4 to express themselves. It really suited their team and you could see they thrived in that formation. Meanwhile we continue to persist with an old school 442 even though it clearly doesn't suit our team.

McCall has to go away and come up with a way to get the best out of the players at his disposal. Rather than fit the team around the formation pick the formation that best suits the team.

• Like 2

Had a similar discussion with siebsbarmyarmy at half time.

Bottom line the formation needs to change to suit the personnel to hand.

Also

I think given that he's had horrific stick, some below par performances and in turn a dent to his confidence. To expose young Zaine today as our solitary left sided player against their firepower was an incredible decision.

McCall seems intent on playing a conventional 442 with two up front and it's not working and he seems to have no plan B. It worked last season as we had the firepower to outscore teams. Even earlier this season when Anier and Sutton were scoring we were getting away with it but neither has scored since September. In saying that I know the service they get is poor. Again though I would put that down to our formation/tactics.

We have no one to drop deep and pick up the ball from the defence and start attacks like Law or Jennings did so instead we bypass the midfield altogether and go long to Sutton which just isn't working. I thought Lawson would do that role but again he won't fit into a conventional 442 which McCall seems intent on playing so has been hung out to dry and benched. You could say the same for Faddy and Vigurs as well. McCall keeps juggling his players trying to fit them into his system, square pegs in round holes comes to mind.

Take United today, they played with a 4-2-3-1 with Paton and Rankin in front of the back 4 doing the ugly work and keeping it simple allowing the front 4 to express themselves. It really suited their team and you could see they thrived in that formation. Meanwhile we continue to persist with an old school 442 even though it clearly doesn't suit our team.

McCall has to go away and come up with a way to get the best out of the players at his disposal. Rather than fit the team around the formation pick the formation that best suits the team.

Could not have put it any better myself McFadden will never play on thew wing, We should go, 4231 Sutton up top with Anier, McFadden (Vigurs), Moore just behind get Sutton to hold the ball not flick it on as no one ever gets anything from the flicks.

Got to agree with Steve Diggle re Angol.

In the first half he was the only player in a Well jersey on the left hand side of the park. Sure he didn't have the best of games but FFS what the F**k is he supposed to do with nobody within 30 yards of him to give the ball to.

Even with our normal back four we were in for a cuffing from Utd today.

As Jaffa said after the game it was 4 nothing and we were lucky to get nothing.

Mon the Dossers