Kilmarnock V Motherwell 23/11/13

Yabba's Turd

Decent performance today. No more no less.

Pretty even first half albeit we created the better chances and should have gone in at half time in front. Moore was excellent today but should have hit the target twice in that period and at least worked the keeper.

Second half we stepped it up and were the better team by a distance. Well worthy of the 2 goal win. Perspective is required however as Killie were pretty poor at times in the 2nd half.

Aniers turn and finish for the 2nd was worth the admission fee on its own.

A baby step forward.

Wasn't at the game, went to Murrayfield instead! Delighted with the win and the clean sheet, here's hoping it kicks us off on a wee run.

Good 3points and a clean sheet. 8 wins from 8 v bottom 6. Quite a statistic.

We are yet to click. So we all say but are still 3rd and ahead of Aberdeen and United who the media are having a wankfest over.

2 assists from Iain. Shame he did not score as i have spunked £50 on him scoring in 90 mins. I mean 9 goals last season v zilch this season. Still rate him and think he will go on to be a star for us,

Faddy yet again fails to deliver. U need to start worrying if he ever will.

Wasn't at the game, went to Murrayfield instead! Delighted with the win and the clean sheet, here's hoping it kicks us off on a wee run.

Putting the Egg chasing ahead of the 'Well, becoming quite a habit young sir.

Rugby is played by men with odd shaped balls!

Moore, Sutton and Kerr played very well and the rest other than Faddy were decent. Killie are a poor, poor outfit and other than the wee number ten they were shocking.

Our first away game in a month and it was another small away crowd. We usually take 800+ to killie, I'd guess we had about 400 today but I don't think they announced it. We'll see what effect the poor fare is having next Saturday.

Clyde FM were saying the crowd was 3714. Didn't look as much as that to me tbh.

I don't think we're way worse than other fans, but we do have a reputation for fickle. This isn't a guess, over thirty years the crowd has changed, we used to be known for backing the team.

Dunno about that, I always remember an interview with Duncan Shearer just after he'd turned down a move to us and was asked why, and his answer was why would I move from a club where the fans treat me like a hero, to a club who's fans berate their own players.

Putting the Egg chasing ahead of the 'Well, becoming quite a habit young sir.

Rugby is played by men with odd shaped balls!

It's healthy to have other sporting interests mate!

• Like 1

Dunno about that, I always remember an interview with Duncan Shearer just after he'd turned down a move to us and was asked why, and his answer was why would I move from a club where the fans treat me like a hero, to a club who's fans berate their own players.

I'm talking through the late 70's until I would reckon around 89/90 I started to notice more bile, although it might have started as early as 84/85.

Shearer was dead on the money with that comment though.

Our first away game in a month and it was another small away crowd. We usually take 800+ to killie, I'd guess we had about 400 today but I don't think they announced it. We'll see what effect the poor fare is having next Saturday.

Perhaps a smaller travelling support yesterday had little to do with "poor fare" as you put it and more to do with the fact that we have two successive away games in a week. Or the fact that Christmas is only a month away and folk are gearing themselves up for the expense that brings. Or even the fact that Mr A.Father can get him and an urchin in for £19 next weekend whereas it was £22 just for himself yesterday.

• Like 3

I'm talking through the late 70's until I would reckon around 89/90 I started to notice more bile, although it might have started as early as 84/85.

Shearer was dead on the money with that comment though.

For me 1991'92 is the year I think you are looking for. Previously those who wanted to support the team more vociferously graduated towards the fence in the shed. When the East Stand came into being that focal point was removed. People were at a stroke, displaced across it. There was no strategy to keep those who provided the atmosphere together.

At the same time opposition fans were displaced out behind the goals to a uncovered terrace limiting what previously was a close hand, potentially nasty but exhilirating interaction for the next couple of years.

Then ofcourse the team were shite. Completely failing to build on the Cup win and spent the next 18 month on a downward spiral. The expectation level was huge that this was the "Great Leap Forward" to use the fanzine title of the day that we'd been building towards.

By the time McLean rejuvinated the team the kind of backing that had been the norm in the previous decade or so was gone seemingly for good.

It was like some invisible switch had somehow been flicked in some of our supporters overnight. Almost as if right I'm paying more to sit in a stand than you used to charge me for standing, you've won a cup so should be doing it every other year now and if I don't get what I want I'm going to let fucking everybody know all about it.

People tried to change attitudes back to that of old, but a generation grew up knowing no different. Sitting not standing. Silent and critical instead of noisy and supportive. Fatcalf had that commendable attitude that he often referred to in OSB and still sticks in my head. Motherwell - win, lose or draw it should be party time but it so often fell on deaf, sometimes bitter ears.

I think that's why the emergence of the Bois is to encouraged and supported as much as possible in current times. For me, and perhaps others of my ages, it feels as close as we've been to a return to that kind of noisy, supportive and positive backing that we used to take for granted and loved.

• Like 4

That's all fair comment, especially about a change in attitude of the 'core' support over the past two decades.

However, I think it's perfectly understandable, especially among the 'younger' generation of fans that they have a different outlook on supporting Motherwell than those who were reared as 'Well fans during the barren years of the 70s and 80s because if you're time supporting the club began late 80s/early-mid 90s onwards then you have supported a club that's never been out of the top flight, reached two cup finals and qualified for Europe several times. So success breeds success and there is a perfectly reasonable desire to see us continue to build on that and prosper as a club, and as time moves on, the game changes and thus expectation levels change with it, but some Motherwell fans don't seem to want to hear that kind of talk, they'd rather harp back to the days of Roger Hynd and shout down anyone who voices disappointment at the results against Aberdeen in the cup recently with "you weren't here in the really bad times, it used to be that Aberdeen would beat us 8-0 etc". Well, times have changed....

Speaking of Aberdeen, it's often said that their fans are 'stuck in the 80s' and still think they are the force they were back then, and yes I would agree with that. However on the flip side of that, I'd say that some Motherwell fans are guilty of the same thing, just in reverse, because to listen to some of them, you'd think that we had been a yo-yo club like Partick Thistle of Falkirk or even like Hamilton who've barely been in the top division in the past twenty years, rather than been an established top flight club, unbroken for what is it, 24, 25 years now?

So, when does Motherwell, never mind being a top flight club, but one that has regularly finished in the top six of the top flight in recent years become the norm for these fans who are stuck in the 80s? I've yet to meet the Motherwell fan who seriously believes that we can challenge for he league title or have a God given right to win Cups or even finish high up in the table, in fact on the contrary I'd say our support, even the younger element, harbour fairly humble expectations and continue to back the club win, lose or draw. Just look at the 'Well Bois and the support and backing they give the team, week in, week out, win, lose or draw. That's not to say that there aren't some utter arseholes in our support who do nothing but scream blind abuse and criticism at the players every week and that's not acceptable. However there is a world of difference between that and being upset or angry at poor performances like the recent Cup tie when so much was at stake or the thrashing by United and voicing constructive criticism of the team on the back of that, which is what most folk on here do most of the times only to be lectured about 'what being a Motherwell fan REALLY is all about, cos I lived through the 70s' and such like.

Football fans can be fickle and ours are no different, but I'd say we are no different to any other set of fans in that when we win we're happy, when we go on a good winning run the mood rockets sky high and when we lose we're not so happy and when we go on a losing streak the mood plummets. It's human nature apart from anything else.

But this 'supporting Motherwell should be a party, win, lose or draw'?? Nah...not for me.

• Like 2

Nobody ever said it was a party.

And

If you think reaction to the preceding games was constructive by the majority then you've just blown an otherwise excellent post right out the water.

I was referring to Andy_P's quote from OSB in his above post and how that quote "fell on deaf or bitter ears".

The majority of criticism in the light of recent results has been constructive on here from what I've seen, I have only seen fans voicing disappointment to recent letdowns and concerns about where we might be headed, that is all fair and constructive to me. Criticism which is not constructive I'd say would be abusing players mindlessly without any logic or reason, ie. "GTF McCall, yer shite, end of" or "X player is utter shite bla bla bla". Obviously there are the odd exceptions but the majority of here do not resort to that, if they've got a point to make they do so constructively and tend to explain their reasons for making the point.

Like I said, there is a world of difference between dishing out plain abuse and scorn and voicing concerns and disappointment.

I was referring to Andy_P's quote from OSB in his above post and how that quote "fell on deaf or bitter ears".

The majority of criticism in the light of recent results has been constructive on here from what I've seen but if you can show me any examples to the contrary, of the majority then fair enough. I though have only seen fans voicing disappointment to recent letdowns and concerns about where we might be headed, that is all fair and constructive to me. Criticism which is not constructive I'd say would be abusing players mindlessly without any logic or reason, ie. "GTF McCall, yer shite, end of" or "X player is utter shite bla bla bla". Obviously there are the odd exceptions but the majority of here do not resort to that, if they've got a point to make they do so constructively and tend to explain their reasons for making the point.

Like I said, there is a world of difference between that and voicing concerns and disappointment.

In terms of the "Win, Lose or Draw it's party time" line you actually picked up on exactly what Fatcalf was getting at in your original response when you referred to the Bois.

Just look at the 'Well Bois and the support and backing they give the team, week in, week out, win, lose or draw.

I do agree with you (shudders :P) in terms of different age groups of 'Well having different perspectives based upon what they have seen in their lifetimes.

But for me its how those experiences and expectations in times of adversity are handled.

Where in many a year gone by a goal against or going in at half behind would have resulted in the support either getting behind the team even more, or at worst silence. Over the past couple of decades the default reaction for some when things aren't going well is just "booo fuckin' boo", "XXXX you're shit" etc, etc, there is no thought that encouragement might help remedy the situation, help spur the team on etc. Some are a ticking timebomb waiting for a certain set of circumstances for them to explode, abuse, to seek blame and point fingers.

All my original post was trying to do was to ascertain when and why that change began to happen.