Tom Hateley

Frazzie

I don't think anyone said that to be fair, nor is the discussion on the merits of players moving abroad or we'd have already had it after Ojamaa or Higdon went.

What I'm questioning is whether or not leaving Motherwell turned out to be the right or wrong decision for Tom Hateley. I'm not sure of the answer - that's why it's being discussed. My opinion on the standard of Scottish football has nothing to do with it at all.

Well after a quick check on wikipedia Poland has a higher UEFA coefficient than ourselves.

Poland's co-efficient is artificially inflated by 11/12 which takes in to account Euro 2012, where they get more points for getting draws, effectively. Aside from that, their co-efficient is broadly similar to Scotland's with Scotland outperforming Poland three out of the last five seasons.

Club wise, they do better in Europe, but Slask are still ranked below Motherwell. Krakow, Warsaw and Poznan above us and below Celtic and Rangers (RIP).

Nothing remarkably better.

I was also basing that on the fact Polish teams in recent times have snapped up some of Scottish footballs more exciting prospects (and for reasonable sums that we couldn't afford): Barry Douglas and Ojamaa for instance. And the fact their national team has been more successful than ours. I've no idea what kind of contract Hateley will be on over there or even exactly how much he was earning here, but I was just hazarding a guess that due their average attendance being over 17,000 a week they could probably afford a lot more than us.

Barry Douglas is an exciting prospect? Nah.

15,000 at £6/7 a ticket? Markedly similar to what we have.

So yeah, he's traded like for like, aside from probably taking stick about not beating the first man in Polish.

I genuinely don't see that it's a particularly good move unless I'm missing something.

Unemployed ---------------> to, Employed on decent wage with decent contract, in a marketplace that a mate has recommended = Good move

and like almost every ex player I hope he does well, unless against us

ex-players failing after moving does Motherwell no good at all.

• Like 1

Despite Tranmeres poor run of form, manager Ronnie Moore has been falsely claiming that Tom Hateley has been injured for the past two months to justify leaving him out of the team.

Surely Tom joins a long line of folk who have left us for the promised land only to regret it. Terrible shame!

Tom Hateley@TomHateley6 20h ..just for the record - I was told I wouldn't play again cause I was out of contract and more important to keep the in contact lads happier.

Tom Hateley@TomHateley6 20h

..so where the whole injured situation came from I have no clue!!

No one is going to be able to touch the Big Five but there nations out there that have the potential growth to form a second tier of leagues that are significantly more developed than the others.

Poland, with a population of 40 million, has the potential to be one of those and become a major European force in football along with places like Ukraine, Russia and Turkey.

They are ahead of us as it is but with the amount of investment they will be able to generate and the potential support that's there they will only get further ahead of us.

Ten years from now I doubt there will be any comparison between our league and the Polish one.