Motherwell In The Media

Goggles & Flippers

Dundee United are masters at that and I have never quite understood how we don't employ similar tactics.

Our financial status prohibits us from offering anything but one or two year deals. Other clubs are aware of this and will continually pick off our best players, leaving the management to replace with youth or loan signings. Last season was a sell to survive season again and don't see anything changing this year.

The reality of following The 'Well.

Apparently we give it our best shot but players advisors boss the proceedings.

The question is more around how do Utd do it? A decent slice of the transfer fee?

In the case of Goodwillie, selling to an EPL team with a clueless owner helped.

In an ideal world you put players on a 3 or 4 year contract and look at new terms or sale with 18 months to go. Thats the best way to get the best money. However, it is risky given the chance a player could turn out to be a dud. Given our financial tightrope walking every year I would imagine thats why we only dish out 2 year deals (usually).

our ownership and sustainability issues seem to have been resolved 10 years ago

Staggering.....

was about to say the media coverage has improved a tremendous amount in the last decade or so , yes there are areas that are still frustrating, but it has certainly improved.

big buff mentioned the amount of 'Well fans in the press and media and the split also seems to be improving (also handy for rolling about Russian streets with :whistling: ) guys from outwith the traditional catchment for this area also give positive coverage to our club, probably a direct spin off from the media teams good work.

Sadly as many as there are, not enough editors are publishing , more a sign of the state of paper media than anything else.

cannot believe Richard Gordon got credit for mentioning Motherwell on sportssound, go see the lengths individual well fans are going to, to highlight the shockingly poor coverage to him and his editor on social media for lack of 'Well coverage after matches, its the one area that truly shocking. A token mention one week, doesn't balance that out, sadly the week Chick Young covered our game he actually gave rave reviews, only to forget about his match functions , when a weegie subject came up, BBC used to be the relatively balanced source, but that radio show, will easily split its last hour, into 30 minutes Celtic, 15 minutes new firm, ten minutes the other big city clubs then a token gesture mentioning the provincial clubs. Hell after Aberdeen, we literally got mentioned as they were going into the wrap at the end of the show.

But thinking we have our ownership sorted and are sustainable at present, means clearly, far too pleasant a picture has been painted

Sorry Brazilian I can't help but feel I have to explain myself fully and in great detail whenever you raise an eyebrow. Legacy of our exchange in the WS thread perhaps?

10 years ago was the Administration era and no doubt as we were one of the first and the laws/penalties have changed since, we've avoided a great deal of upheaval that has and will hang round the neck of quite a few clubs (some we know about and some we will in the next few years).

As a result of having our fingers burned I think we've been best placed over the past few years as we introduced our own austerity measures and that has served us well:

Ownership - Not a bank/accountant who's aim is to raise short term capital with no thought to the long term, yes JB is looking for an exit, but we're hardly facing a boardroom civil war or impending doom

Sustainability - We budget conservatively and by an large (despite any major sales of our young assets) we're much healthier than a great deal of our contemporaries and dare I say it, better placed and more able to deal with future financial worries (2 years ago if you said we'd lose 4 home matches a season vs Rangers and Hearts but gain two with Ross County and Dundee then it would rightly have alarm bells ringing).

Hardly a "Staggering" statement unless you wish to taint it negatively.

As for this thread, its not the amount of coverage its just the unfanciable nature of our perception.

on the bbc website. a club like bradford will also be covered on the local bbc radio station and by several local daily papers so i would guess they get more coverage over all.

we shouldn't be grateful that bbc radio scotland occasionally give us a mention

Occasionally give us a mention by covering virtually every game we play live on radio? That putting aside the discussion before and after matches?

Don't know if you noticed by one of the best known football presenters on BBC Scotland is a Motherwell fan who isn't shy about his allegiance.

There are several local newspapers cover Motherwell as well.

Occasionally give us a mention by covering virtually every game we play live on radio? That putting aside the discussion before and after matches?

Don't know if you noticed by one of the best known football presenters on BBC Scotland is a Motherwell fan who isn't shy about his allegiance.

my point - backed up by other posters - is that we get very little discussion pre and post match compared to the other clubs around us in the league. cowan doesn't really talk about football so i don't think he's very relevant.

sportsound needs an overhaul. it's full of journalists who are too comfy and think they are the attraction such as gordon and young and imbeciles like murdo, dodds and preston who are experts in saying nothing at length and are terrified of offending anyone in the game. they barely talk about what happens on the park and probably wouldn't be able to tell you the strengths and weaknesses of most players in the league. radio scotland needs someone like stan collymore who is passionate, informed and able to give his opinion without worrying about treading on toes.

• Like 1

Listened to that McCall interview. Great to hear that Hutchy loves it here, but a real kick in the baws when McCall says that if we had got through in the cups he would be confident of the big man signing a contract extension. Now we can't afford to offer him the type of salary that would have kept him around a bit longer, and certainly meant we could have sold him for a real price.

but a real kick in the baws when McCall says that if we had got through in the cups he would be confident of the big man signing a contract extension.

That Scottish Cup exit has set us back quite a bit and you could still hear the anguish in McCalls voice when he spoke about it. The fact that we will have no income apart from the pay at the gate fans until the end of the season is not good news. Even Hearts have a cup semi to look forward to.