Greatest Well Eleven You Have Seen

joewarkfanclub

Listening to Tam on Stuart on the radio the now. Alison Walker picking her best Hamilton 11. I know we have had greatest ever Motherwell teams but that always throws up arguments about great players from our past most of us never had the privelege to see. So, off the back of todays articles about The Grew and Faddy, what is the best Well 11 of players you have seen in the flesh. Take 1960 as the earliest date to make it fair!

Sieb Dijkstra

Luc Nijholt

Brian Martin

Chris McCart

Joe Wark

Phil ODonnell

Bobby Russell

Paul Lambert

Davy Cooper

Bobby Graham

Wullie Pettigrew

Subs

Randolph

Corrigan

ONeill

McFadden

Coyne

• Like 1

Although i went to games earlier only really remember post administration era, so mine would look a little like this :

Ruddy

Corrigan-Craigan-Reynolds-Hammell

McCormack-Lasley-Law-McFadden

Higdon-Mcdonald

Subs

Randolph

Hutchinson

Humprhey

Porter

Clarkson

Probably missing some obvious ones because I didn't think I would have Law starting and Humphrey on the bench

Started regularly going to 'Well games when I was 10 / 11 I think and now 26 so the players that I remember will be fairly recent but my effort is this:

Randolph

Corrigan - Hutchinson - Reynolds - Hammell

Murphy - Valakari - Lasley - Elliott

Coyne - McFadden

Subs:

Ruddy

Craigan

Law

Clarkson

Higdon

Possibly more my favourite eleven rather than 'greatest' eleven but never mind!

Forgot how well served we have been at right back over the years.

Burley

Nijholt

Krivocapic

Corrigan

all decent shouts. I was quite young at the time but I remember thinking Stuart McLaren was a decent right back as well. Maybe older posters can confirm or refute that.....

Forgot how well served we have been at right back over the years.

Burley

Nijholt

Krivocapic

Corrigan

all decent shouts. I was quite young at the time but I remember thinking Stuart McLaren was a decent right back as well. Maybe older posters can confirm or refute that.....

Not to forget wullie watson

Darren Randolph

Luc Nijholt

Brian Martin

Mitchell van der Gaag

Rob McKinnon

James McFadden

Paul Lambert

Phil O'Donnell

Davie Cooper

Tommy Coyne

Dougie Arnott

Subs

Sieb Dykstra

Chris McCart

Keith Lasley

Stevie Kirk

Scott McDonald

Mio Krivokapic and Bobby Russell unlucky not to make the 16. Few others as well Tom Boyd, Chris McCart, I'll stop there!

GK - Keith Macrae

RB - Luc NihjoltLB - Joe Wark

CB - Craig PatersonCB - Brian Martin

RMF - Vic DavidsonCMF - Bobby RussellCMF - Phil O'DonnellLMF - Davie Cooper

Striker - Willie PettigrewStriker - Tommy Coyne

Subsitiutes:Darren RandolphWillie WatsonTom BoydPaul LambertJames McFaddenDougie ArnottBobby Graham

• Like 1

Big Peter McCloy did very well for us but his one fault was he was not good with anything low to the ground near the corners.

Billy Ritchie had been a top line 'keeper with Rangers and was a bit past it when he came to us but managed to do a decent job when required - reliable safe pair of hands.

Big Jackie McInally (I'd an uncle that called him Jacqueline as he didn't seem to rate him) again was probably by his best when we got him - he'd won the league with Kilmarnock a few years previously but from what I can recall he formed a decent partnership foil for Dixie Deans.

All three gave their all for the old 'Well in an era when players were paid peanuts so my respect to them all.yes.gif

Is it to be a best 11 or favourite 11?

My best 11 would have to include McDonald. Lambert and Spencer (based on the form he showed up to signing a permanent deal) but none would make it into my favourite 11.

Its the best 11 you have seen. However, I would say there is some artistic licence, your favourite players must have been decent to make you like them?

Van der Gaags goal against Dunfermline is my number 1 Well memory. I was 4 when we won the cup and i wasn't even staying in the country at the time so i never seen that, but even the european tours and games that secured us european fitba will never compare to the buzz of seeing that shot hit the back of the net !! Mitchell is a must in the top Well 11

• Like 1

It was a good hit and the importance of the goal made it very special.

This is where favourites come in. Although Van der Gaag was up there he was with us such a short time. I have a real soft spot for big Buff Martin. IMO he should have been a first pick for Scotland for 2 seasons. By the time he actually got his chance his form had started to dip.

Buffs 30 yarder at Ibrox is one of my favourite memories.