Lee Hollis

mosquito

Well I don't know the ins and outs of what the powers that be's position on his contract or presence within the club was but what I do know is that Woods was never able to hold the number 1 jersey as his own during his time at the club and Alex McLeish, Harri Kampman, Billy Davies and Eric Black/Terry Butcher all brought in another keeper whilst managing the club and ALL of those keepers either completely ousted Woods from the first team or were given long runs in the side at his expense. And given the level of Woods' performances in that same time it wasn't difficult to understand why.

Like I said, I make no claims he was brilliant, but 9 years is a long time to hang around if you are useless. I don't care how many managers you serve under.

So, despite the fact he was mince, nobody at Fir Park was smart enough to either terminate his contract or not renew his contract - they felt it was better to keep paying him for 9 years.

He wasn't even close to the worst keeper we have had in my lifetime.

Like I said, I make no claims he was brilliant, but 9 years is a long time to hang around if you are useless. I don't care how many managers you serve under.

Maybe we can agree he seems to have talent as a goalkeeping coach.

Maybe you've answered your own question there. Woods is by all accounts a very good goalkeeping coach and has built up a strong reputation as such at Celtic. It's possible the managers here liked having him around to work with the youngsters coming through and that's perhaps another reason why he lasted so long at Fir Park. Just guesswork of course...

I don't remember Stevie Woods being bad consistently, he seemed to have one off nightmares or bad spells that lasted a couple of weeks.

The rest of the time he was ok, never brilliant, but decent enough.

Michael Fraser is the worst keeper I've ever seen for us, the last game of the season v Dundee utd (?) was so bad it was funny!