Sums Up This Season

Jacol

I think the quality of our youths is at its worse level in many years. How many times you seen him Stu? All I'm saying is I would rather trust the opinions of those who see them in training every day than those who see his reports on Twitter.

I've seen him twice i think, Cowdenbeath and Fulham.

He was a stand out at Central Park and scored a great goal and i thought he did well against Fulham. Josh Law plays every week yet we won't give the best player in our u20s a run out, as the thread title says that pretty much sums up at the moment.

I'd rather he got 20 mins or half an hour at least here and there during a season when our "stars" aren't pulling their weight. I don't think that's unreasonable, especially given we are supposed to be a club that encourages and develops young players in order to survive

How do you know he's good enough though? St mirren tried the same yesterday and put in the worst performance of the season (just when they thought they couldn't be any worse) so it doesn't always work out as planned. Is a relegation battle the time to do it? Leitch Cadden Erwin have all had game time season and it hasn't really worked out I'm sure all will agree. I still maintain that part of the problem is McManus lasley and Sutton have been woeful all season (and have played just about every minute) but I just don't think the youngsters are good enough to replace these 3

The old adage has it that you'll never win anything with kids, but there will come a point this season - if it hasn't arrived already - when the thoughts of the supposedly seasoned pros turn to an exit strategy. Then it becomes a poisonous death spiral. If those who see the kids in training every day believe that they won't be better than what we've got coming then I genuinely fear that we are fucked. There really is no plan B.

How do you know he's good enough though?

By the same token, we'll never know if he isn't given the chance. I don't for a minute think this guy is the answer to all our woes but I'm stunned that in the midst of such a dreadful, bleak season our supposed brightest light can't even get a 15 minute run out ahead of guys like Josh Law. He's not going to develop if he isn't pitting his wits against players at a higher level than currently.

• Like 2

Inverness - You can't expect to go up to Inverness and win at any time but especially not when they have been very good and are undefeated at home and we have been very poor. If you think we should have won yesterday when you need a big dose of reality. I said during the game that I'd bite your hand off for a point but it wasn't to be. We should be judging this team on it's performances against fellow strugglers not teams that are joint top of the league a week shy of December.

The Clarkson and McFadden decisions - Clarkson should have been signed. I said it at the time, no hindsight required and I think McCall's decision to actually leave the club was partly down to that bad decision. Not entirely but I think it weighed heavy on McCall's mind. Managers have to make good decisions and when Clarkson scored against us and basically sunk us a couple of minutes into a very important match I reckon McCall's confidence in his own decision making was effected.

McFadden was not the McFadden of old last season but he would easily deserve a place in this team and I bet we would have more points than we do now if he had been playing this season. For me the McFadden decision was a money one. He didn't deserve and we couldn't afford to pay over the odds for him but if he'd been willing to play on a reduced wage then I would have kept him. You can point out he wasn't great last season but there are people out there who aren't willing to acknowledge McFadden's contribution last term which wasn't insignificant. He contributed to 10 goals in the league scoring 4 and setting up 6 just for a start. The squad is worse off without him especially as he wasn't replaced.

Dom Thomas - If he is as good as we are all hearing he should have been played before now. I saw him against Fulham and I thought he showed up quite well making his debut in a match where we were comprehensively beaten. We've been crying out for a left winger for a couple of seasons which makes McCall's decision not to play him even more baffling. I don't know if Dom Thomas is the answer but that's kind of the problem. No one does because he's never been given a chance. Even the players that have like Lee Erwin have been played out of position. The Dom Thomas situation is just part of the complete pigs ear Motherwell have made of youth development over the last few years and whether you like it or not that coincidences with Stuart McCall's reign. Meanwhile Dundee Utd have actively tried to develop a player like Aidan Connolly, even though there are several players in his position ahead of him in the pecking order, and he scored yesterday. The fact is our youth development has gone backwards by a long way and has turned into some kind of Walter Smith 1990's dinosaur stuff. Wonder where that came from?

Insightful..... Are you here all week or is this just for one day only.....

If by "here" you mean this forum then you would see from my profile that I've been here since March 21st. This is, I assume you have deduced, a little over 8 months which, again relying on your math skills, is longer than a week.

If by "here" you mean this forum then you would see from my profile that I've been here since March 21st. This is, I assume you have deduced, a little over 8 months which, again relying on your math skills, is longer than a week.

A sad cry to be accepted I thinkand a total loss of humour

Remember Mark Reynolds....

Only got a game as 5 other centre backs were injured. Never left the team for years.

How do we know they are not good enough until we give be them a chance???

For every Mark Reynolds there is a Bobby Donnelly whistling.gif think that guy still has nightmares about Dado Prso

How do you know he's good enough though? St mirren tried the same yesterday and put in the worst performance of the season (just when they thought they couldn't be any worse) so it doesn't always work out as planned. Is a relegation battle the time to do it? Leitch Cadden Erwin have all had game time season and it hasn't really worked out I'm sure all will agree. I still maintain that part of the problem is McManus lasley and Sutton have been woeful all season (and have played just about every minute) but I just don't think the youngsters are good enough to replace these 3

Don't agree regarding game time -As stated before it would be good to compare Sutton versus Erwin in the forward position,unfortunately Erwin has played two games this season up front (St Mirren and County) the rest across the midfield whereas with the exception of Accies at home Sutton started all games at centre forward.

I think the quality of our youths is at its worse level in many years. How many times you seen him Stu? All I'm saying is I would rather trust the opinions of those who see them in training every day than those who see his reports on Twitter.

I don't trust the opinions of our management and coaching team this year. Self-evident.

I would respectfully submit that this debate is academic bollocks. Because of where we are in the league at present it is no time to be considering playing young players. The time to introduce young players is when you are safe at the opposite end of the table. It would be totally unfair not to say downright irresponsible to start playing youngsters at present.

I would respectfully submit that this debate is academic bollocks. Because of where we are in the league at present it is no time to be considering playing young players. The time to introduce young players is when you are safe at the opposite end of the table. It would be totally unfair not to say downright irresponsible to start playing youngsters at present.

The "experienced" players we have seen so far this season have been utter pish, so why not drop some of them and give others ie the younger playersa chance to show what they have to offer. If they are deemed good enough to earn a pro contract then they should be good enough for the 1st team especially when the current ones look as though they don't give a feck.

Don't agree Grew. Why does there have to be a specific time to introduce. If they are good enough then we have to play them!!! Can't be worse than what is on show at the moment.