Sums Up This Season

Jacol

Didn't do hearts any harm last season throwing in young guys when they were up against it. They are benefiting from it now. Too many players, Sutton, mcmanus, lasley to name a few , seem to be in a position of knowing they can play as badly as they can and still not be dropped.

This'll be the Hearts that were,eh,relegated?

• Like 1

Exactly, Hearts for most of last season were woeful. It was only when it turned out that the likelyhood of safety was all but gone did Hearts end up playing well, and gaining huge plaudits for their run. From 30 March to the end of the season they won 5 games - for all the months prior they managed 6 wins. Demand and pressure is a lot to do with it.

Doesn't change the fact that there was zero expectation and zero pressure on them, which makes a huge difference to young players.

Would be a different story at Fir Park where we cannot afford to be relegated.

Do you really think young players are worried if they get put out into a struggling team? That's what their aim is, to be full time players playing in a top flight starting eleven.

Hearts gave their young players game time, and are now getting the benefit. Coventry done it last season as well. Played a team full of academy players, most of whom have became first team regulars, a couple have already moved on to bigger clubs for big money.

I don't think anyone wants us to be starting our U19s week in week out, just the introduction of one or two who have promise to shake things up a bit would be nice.

Sadly, I think the case is that the youngsters maybe aren't good enough to make a difference.

Do you really think young players are worried if they get put out into a struggling team? That's what their aim is, to be full time players playing in a top flight starting eleven.

It's not what I think that it matters, it's what history shows. If you put a bunch of youngsters in a struggling team and they get hammered a few times and the crowd starts giving them pelters, it can hinder their development.

I'm not against giving our youngsters an appearance every now and then, but you only have to look at our U20s results (losing to Dundee most recently) to see the inconsistency you can expect.

It's not what I think that it matters, it's what history shows. If you put a bunch of youngsters in a struggling team and they get hammered a few times and the crowd starts giving them pelters, it can hinder their development.

I'm not against giving our youngsters an appearance every now and then, but you only have to look at our U20s results (losing to Dundee most recently) to see the inconsistency you can expect.

Better inconsistent youngsters than seasoned pros being consistently under performing