Astroturf Pitch Now.

gaz7

You must be at the madam.

The answer is clearly no, it isn't financially viable. We can't afford to spend millions of pounds levelling the pitch and rebuilding half of the ground just to install a plastic pitch!

You are obviously an engineer with experience of astroturf laying pepper. Stop making things up and have a normal debate. Go onto the hearts fan site and see the views of guys who work in astro laying industry and also their support.

You are obviously an engineer with experience of astroturf laying pepper. Stop making things up and have a normal debate. Go onto the hearts fan site and see the views of guys who work in astro laying industry and also their support.

Noone is saying it can't be done. It's the cost that's prohibitive. As others have said it was discussed at length when the pitch was in a state a few years ago and because of the cost it was deemed a none starter. I am sure this info came from inside the club too but I can't be bothered searching back for the thread.

You asked for reasons why we don't have an astroturf pitch and people have given you plenty all of which you continue to dismiss. Anyone who disagrees with you is apparently stuck in the dark ages, so what is the point in debating. It aint going to happen whilst we are still at Fir Park, it's that simple.

I believe around the time we were having major troubles with the pitch, the club investigated how much it would cost to level the pitch while we were at it, and were quoted something in the region of 3 and a half million. Lowering it at the east side wasn't possible because it would take it down into the foundations of the East Stand, and raising it at the other side affected the front few rows of the South Stand west, and also involved the lifting of the dugouts and raising up of the tunnel entrance.

gaz7, aside from any investigation or quote, it shouldn't be hard to work out that if you lift one side of the pitch up by 5 feet, every single thing pitchside needs to be lifted up by 5 feet....you're talking about spending more than the whole ground is worth, just to put in an astroturf pitch.

People aren't in the dark ages...they are just aware of why it's impossible at Fir Park.

1420739756[/url]' post='428571']

massive benefit out-side hiring the pitches out to the public is the fact that all the youth/academy teams can train on the surface during the week and play their youth league fixtures on it too. Which is a massive cost saving for the clubs in the SFL, most of which don't have a training academy. I dont know but i would imagine it cost for our partnership with braidhurst. Partick Thistle for example are paying out a large chunk in hiring pitches for all the youth-sides, where as Stenhousemuir or Alloa aren't.

question to ask ourselves.1, would it give our players at all levels an advantage however slight over other teams we played on it.2 would it be financially viable and beneficial for our club. And the answerto both questions is yes.

Is it? Upkeep? Do these facilities maintain themselves? The club were creative at Braidhurst & also at Dalziel Park with costs favourable to owning & operating their own. The proposed community hub may well come to fruition as the club evolves, this seems to be a perceived norm to attract both new first team additions & developing youth talent.

The teams you mention have facilities part funded by local government which allows for community use, under no circumstances would North Lanarkshire Leisure back any similar moves at Fir Park when they have their Ravenscraig development just up the road.

Why don't we just move to a new site where the slope won't be a problem? (Ducks and slams on flak jacket and helmet) seriously though I can't think of anyone in the pro game who likes Astro and believes it to be the way forward outside of the bean counters

We seemed to be very impressed with the artificial surface we played on in Norway a few seasons ago. If it has got to the stage that they are now on a par with the real thing then it will, at some stage in the near future, become an investment worth making.Lots of top end rugby stadia are going for a plastic / grass combination which seems to be a way forward, if somewhat expensive initially, if the quoted costs are to be believed.As to the link with on field success at Hamilton, I would tend to favour the argument that a hard working bunch of well organ players are reaping the rewards but that it has little to do with the playing surface.