The Shoutbox - Opinions Please

Yabba's Turd

101 members have voted

1. 1. Should we keep the shoutbox?

• Yes, keep it open 24/7
    • Yes, but close it on matchdays
    • No

Think the shoutbox function is great for quick updates and alerting the forum to interesting/important topics. Perhaps it can be used for tea lines and score updates on match days only? Nothing worse than scrolling through threads and having to wait for an entire page to reload in order to see whether there was a penalty given or not.

All for keeping it.

Not sure if the software allows it, but is it possible to add the MFC Twitter feed to be displayed anywhere? Their match updates could replace the shoutbox during the games and leave the chat to the thread.

There is an option to add twitter updates to the shoutbox, I'll test it later, when it's less intrusive.

My concern was that folk on mobile were missing out on a feature and if I couldn't implement that feature then direct traffic towards the matchday thread, I'm learning all the time about what's possible and to be honest the mobile theme was an after thought for me in the old version.

I've got one or two plans for the main forum page that I hope would enhance the site, if I can get it working it should be half decent

My concern was that folk on mobile were missing out on a feature and if I couldn't implement that feature then direct traffic towards the matchday thread, I'm learning all the time about what's possible and to be honest the mobile theme was an after thought for me in the old version.

I've got one or two plans for the main forum page that I hope would enhance the site, if I can get it working it should be half decent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug9Cr-ED5XA&list=PLoBSoR2vm9Gns8jPe05AXcFMoNsKZqdoF

The shoutbox is still functioning on the full version, the mobile version I tried wasn't universally compatible, but it looked good on my Archos and Android browsers. I'm trying to design our own version of a mobile shoutbox (if you'd told me this last week I'd have laughed you off the forum) with either a link to open a shoutbox window or stack the text entry and reading pane, the problem with changing the mobile skin is that mobile browsers all have their own quirks and settings in the CSS, no doubt Apple have a dev site for testing mobile stuff, just need to find it and test the mobile version on that.

Going to watch the first half of the St Mirren match, this is where I would have used the shout box if anything of note happens that affects us. It is unlikely there would be a St Mirren chat topic.

Edit : Goal difference on a par now

As if it wasn't bad enough that the shoutbox is still there after most people voting to bin it, it's now decided to stay at the top of every forum and thread!!

I might be wrong but I seem to remember it always being there, it isn't just since since the upgrade.

However.... if you move your cursor across the right hand side of the claret header that has Shoutbox on it, and let it hovver for a second you should see a wee minus sign. Click the minus sign, the shoutbox is minimised out of view, and you need never be bothered by it again.

And if you ever get nosey, same principle applies, except it'll be a wee plus sign you'll click to re-activate it.

I've never had it before the upgrade and until this weekend it only appeared if I actually went to the shoutbox.

I did try the minus sign but it didn't work. While I could possibly have coped if it was just on the forum pages it was a pain on the threads.

I seem to have sorted it by changing the theme to IP.Board rather than the snapshot

It's all about choice though, 53-48 against keeping it, and zero feedback about it being closed on macthdays with the twitter updates, if there was a massive vote one way or the other then I'd go with it, but you have a choice of closing the window and ignoring it and the matchday discussion will be on the forum and updates via twitter.