Motherwell Vs Aberdeen Saturday 15Th August

postiejim

I've no real truck with Law being in the team if he's playing well. He's a perfectly serviceable squad player however at the moment he looks completely lost to the point where opposition are targeting him as a weak link. 3 of the 6 goals we've conceded have come from the right back position and the number of times Laing is having to get dragged out of position in order to cover is a definite issue.

Every player will go through dips in form, that's just natural and there are a few in the XI at the moment who are struggling to find the right gear however that's 4 games now and 6 soft goals conceded where the opposition have barely had to work for them. I'm interested to see whether the manager decides to make some changes with the personnel or whether he persists in the hope that they get it right. I understand the logic of giving an XI time to find their feet but at the moment this defence look guaranteed to simply gift goals in every game.

The obvious choice would be Watt to come in however even then we've brought in Kieran Kennedy who by the clubs own admission can play right back: "A centre-back to trade, but with the ability to also play at right-back,". We've brought the player in and he plays in a position in which we're having issues, presumably he's not here simply to sit on the bench or indeed do we have players who are viewed as "undroppable".

I was unhappy when Josh Law was given an new contract so my position on him is clear. We released better players than Law during the summer.

However I don't think Baraclough is going to chop and change at this stage. We've got some difficult games out of the way and now he'll be looking to play what he sees as his strongest team against more manageable opponents.

The fact that Law was given an contract extension, has played the vast majority of matches under Baraclough and started the season as a first team choice suggests he is going to be our right back for at least the foreseeable future.

Overall (since Pearson signing) P23 W9 D3 L11 WIN PERCENTAGE 39%

With Pearson P16 W9 D1 L6 WIN PERCENTAGE 56%

Without Pearson P7 W0 D2 L5 WIN PERCENTAGE 0%

Well that is quite telling. Not won a game without him and nearly 6 in 10 with him in the side.

Makes his tackle / injury in our very 1st league game/all the more disappointing.

Only been 2 games in but Taylor has not shown too much yet given his supposed pedigree.

I am in 2 minds about Laing. He has the makings of a decent defender but was involved in the loss of both goals yesterday. His sauntering languid style can be misleading.

Would like to see Kennedy and what he can offer.

The positives yesterday that were despite Law's efforts and Taylor's no show we held our shape well and made a much better job of matching Aberdeen physically than we have over the past few seasons. McManus and Laing were both good and Hammell had a good first hour then his head went down after the free kick debacle. Ainsworth didn't get much service and it was pointless moving him to the right but he kept going for 90 so hopefully he's going to have his head screwed on this season.

Dom Thomas also did well and despite being about 6 inches shorter than Johnson won more headers in five minutes than MJ did all game. McDonald came onto a game late on as well. I'd stick McDonald right up top and play Thomas, Johnson and Ainsworth in behind at Perth.

Would love us to try 3 at the back

Laing,McManus,Chalmers

Ainswworth and Johnson on the wings

Lasley,leitch and Taylor (the 3 for now) pearo when fit in there

Moult,fletch up top

Id just like to see us adopt a different style like this if not going to be playing a straight 4-4-2

From a sentimental point it leaves out a couple of my favorite players but would be interesting to see how we would fair

Do I think that Stevie Hammell is without flaws in his game? No, he wouldn't be playing for Motherwell otherwise. But (takes a breath) Billy Davies, Eric Black, Terry Butcher, Mark McGhee, Craig Brown, Stuart McCall and Ian Baraclough have all thought him good enough to play SPL football. Don't think they all think that because he's "one of our own".

Stevie Hammell will have poor games from time to time, and is not getting any younger but to suggest as some on here are that he's never been good enough is frankly nonsense...

I'm keeping a goals conceded map this season and so far of the 6 goals we've conceded 3 have come from the right back position and none from the left back position. Draw your own conclusions.

In any case Aberdeen are very strong down the wings, they will give most teams a roasting down the flanks I'd imagine. With the full backs pressing forward and the interchanging between the three attacking midfielders, our full backs often found themselves in the middle of a triangle with little cover from wide midfield players.

Still positives signs from yesterday. Aberdeen throw on an extra defender with boring negative football as usual. Moult was motm for me, tireless running, strong and linked play well. The defence is definatly looking harder to beat than last season, Laing has improved.

Low points: thats the worse game ive seen Stevie Hammell have in a well shirt. Maybe hes not fit? if he is fit, I see nothing wrong with playing Chalmers ahead of him. Law was poor though I reckon it was an improved showing on the united game. Really wish we had Luke Watt fit though. The boy Taylor looked more than a yard off the pace! Johnson was great one minute then howling the next.

That said, I think we will pick up points in the next few games.

Hammell is a stick on 7/10 week in week out. An actual left back, not a utility gap filler. I think his game is affected by the standard of performance we get from whoever he's paired up with on the left. Big Marv is "marvellous" on his day, but I fear his day may be on an inconsistent basis, he needs to learn to apply himself and keep our shape especially when he's forgotten how to trap the ball or beat a man. Standard wingers problem though, Ainsworth has improved on that front although playing with Law is not ideal.

was it just me who noticed that for almost all of the game we went for the long high diagonal ball which was pish easy for big ash taylor, why did we not get scott McDonald to play in tight to him and play balls into his feet , the way wee dougie arnot used to do it , cause the big centre halfs usually lean in and commit fouls when there in that situation , its only my observation from the pod stand

was it just me who noticed that for almost all of the game we went for the long high diagonal ball which was pish easy for big ash taylor, why did we not get scott McDonald to play in tight to him and play balls into his feet , the way wee dougie arnot used to do it , cause the big centre halfs usually lean in and commit fouls when there in that situation , its only my observation from the pod stand

There are far too many long balls being kicked from hand by the goalkeeper, we need to play it out from the back. We have two wingers that are rapid, a long ball down the middle isn't exactly playing to our strength.

A question of tactics, when we played the diagonal ball to Moult when he was up against the full back, he won every ball in the air- and attempted to actually knock it inside to McDonald- f ck me, that could be in danger of being a- partnership, whit next?

A question of tactics, when we played the diagonal ball to Moult when he was up against the full back, he won every ball in the air- and attempted to actually knock it inside to McDonald- f ck me, that could be in danger of being a- partnership, whit next?

ffs it was just an observation .... and maybe a different approach ie ball into feet , quick lay off a spin a maybe an inroads to many people on here are to feckin quick to jump down peoples throats

There are far too many long balls being kicked from hand by the goalkeeper, we need to play it out from the back. We have two wingers that are rapid, a long ball down the middle isn't exactly playing to our strength.

It's a good laugh watching Marvin trying to head them though.

• Like 2