Our Problems On The Field

Graeme Bremner

The rot set in after we finished second. Apart from winning a cup I'm 100% sure a lot of the players (plus the gaffer) thought - consciously or subconsciously - "there's not much better we can do here".

Once that happens, it's really difficult to break out of that mindset.

The greatest teams guard against that by, even when successful, bringing in 2 or 3 new players at every window. We didn't, and probably couldn't afford to.

Add that to the difficulties of getting out of a losing habit - again, a thing many good teams have encountered - and it's hard to change. That's why I said at the start of the season I'd be OK with 8th or 9th this campaign, because it will take time to fix. If there was an easy way to do it, teams with much more resources than us (like a Leeds Utd, or a Nottingham Forest or, currently, an Aston Villa) would have implemented it.

So what clubs end up doing is rolling the dice with a new manager and hope that is the catalyst for change.

Just like success breeds success, failure breeds failure. Players lose confidence, they stop taking creative risks, they hope someone else will step up in a game, they stop anticipating opponents' moves, the hesitate for a second before shooting etc. That is really difficult to address and again, will take time.

Of course, sometimes teams get lucky and the new manager goes on a tear up the league, but history shows that is the exception, not the rule.