Challenge Cup 2016'17

livivoice

I'm glad the youngsters won but there's something wrong with the competition when you see the number of under-20 teams that went through (although a good few went out). Partick Thistle and Clyde used to have a good rivalry but it really shows how their fortunes have changed when Clyde lose 5-0 to Thistle's under -20s.

I'm glad the youngsters won but there's something wrong with the competition when you see the number of under-20 teams that went through (although a good few went out). Partick Thistle and Clyde used to have a good rivalry but it really shows how their fortunes have changed when Clyde lose 5-0 to Thistle's under -20s.

Going by what the Bully fan at work saying, Clyde objected more than most at the inclusion of U20's and had threatened to play their own U20's if they faced an U20 side.

Enjoyed the game very comfortable until lost goal then panicked for about 10 mins but regained composure and held on easily impressed by Barry McGuire at the back but disappointed with Campbell as thought he had very quiet game was expecting more but all in all very good win as 1st game of season for most of these boys as very young team

Clyde put out a supporters XI by the looks of it. David Marsh and Jamie Watson are about the only names I recognize.

Enjoyable enough game tonight with the team carrying on the same style of play from last season. Once again, Allan Campbell was a standout performer for me. Haven't heard of the boy Fry before but he impressed in flashes. Meanwhile, Jason Cummings' brother looked not too bad for Edinburgh.

I quite like the idea of the competition and more games like tonight will be a valuable learning experience for the under 20s. Regarding Clyde, I don't know the script tonight but Barry Ferguson has been filling his squad with 16/17 year olds.

Despite my belief we shouldn't be involved I went along and enjoyed it also.

I was impressed with the possession based style of play and many of the team looked to have good ability. Lots of good close control, confidence and patience whilst on the ball on show.

We only really wavered from that towards the end when the City goal knocked us out of our stride and the focus changed to just getting over the line. Again though despite my reservations I would concede that last fifteen minutes in particular will prove to be good experience for the team in seeing the job through against what in many cases will be more senior experienced opponents.

Good goal from Mackin and persistence from Fry for his.

All in all a good evening for the 402 there.

Thought Watt showed up well at centre half again. Standouts by some distance were Campbell and Turnbull though the latter dropped out the game 2nd half.

All in all a very decent performance, first half in particular I thought they passed and moved well. Played with a fair bit of composure too. Couple of lovely goals, Mackin's in particular.

I thought the performers who did best were Turnbull and McLean, they never wasted a ball and McLean in particular had a bit of zip about him. Campbell and Mackin did a good job too but from what I'd seen before and read I felt they didn't quite hit the levels I expected. We defended a bit naively last twenty minutes and at times through too many bodies forward. I think we had better players, both sets tired but they were maybe a bit more streetwise latterly. I'm not sure we should be involved in this either but playing league teams of men will only bring these players on a bit and can only be good for us long term.