Dom Thomas

Dom Thomas should have been getting an extended run in the team years ago, instead he's been left to wither on the vine.

If you add up the 31 fragments of game time he's had it doesn't amount too much and he's not been exposed early enough or long enough to first team football.

Does he have a future? I don't know but I'll say this. Probably the best young player we've developed in recent times was Jamie Murphy. Jamie Murphy took probably about three seasons to settle into first team football, in the beginning it wasn't even certain what his position would be - midfielder? winger? striker? What Jamie Murphy got though was a chance starting with sub appearances that gradually transitioned into starts over an extended period until a time when he became an automatic pick. However, we had to develop him into a player, he didn't hit the ground running, like say, Chris Cadden has.

For me Dom Thomas has not been given that same opportunity to develop at first team level over an extended period. For a few years we seemed to completely lose focus on youth development. McGhee, who brought through the last batch of really good players (Reynolds, Hutchison, Murphy), seems to be doing something similar again.

Unfortunately for Dom Thomas his crucial development years might have come a bit too early.

Marc Fitzpatrick played over 100 games for Motherwell. He came through the youth system and eventually made it into the first team. He was deployed at left mid, left back, a midfielder and a holding player, and scored the goal that put us in the league cup final.

Fitzpatrick wasn't good enough, and stuck around with us far too long. He's now captaining Airdrie because it's his level. Playing more games for us didn't make him a dramatically better player, and playing more games elsewhere hasn't turned him into a premiership level player either, because he isn't that good.

Using individual players as comparisons doesn't really prove anything, and using Murphy as an example doesn't really make sense either. He had the same last 5/10 minutes impression to make in games, but that, allied presumably with what he did in training, he forced his way into the first team, and developed. Thomas never has, and when he's given the chance, he's non-existant. He's had vastly more chances, and has been given way more time than someone like Fitzpatrick got from the support.

It's not some great, club level conspiracy against the guy, he's just not good enough.

I could be an absolute mile oot on this, but I reckon the reason DT has never been loaned is because the respective managers and coaches believed he had the ability to break into the team and make his mark during the past couple of seasons.

He hasn't made that impact and by all accounts is now failing to dominate as he should for the u20s.

What we don't see is what happens during the other 5 days of the week and I would wager that that is where Dom Thomas' career is being lost.

Unfortunately Celtic don't release many star up and coming players, so since he came to us from Celtic, I've always believed that although he can at times excite the fans, his height / weight has always disadvantaged him and with no change in this, he increasingly looks like a Scottish championship player.

I hope I'm wrong but today's players are more athletic that previous generations and as such skill alone is not enough to make it.

I've always believed that although he can at times excite the fans, his height / weight has always disadvantaged him and with no change in this, he increasingly looks like a Scottish championship player.

I hope I'm wrong but today's players are more athletic that previous generations and as such skill alone is not enough to make it.

I've said exactly this about players in general for a long time and been frequently castigated for it, but you're 100% correct. Its also the reason Hearts released Craig Moore.

I'm not entirely sure I buy the "he's too small" line of argument. It's slightly disingenuous on my part but at 5' 7" he's taller than Jonny Hayes, Patrick Roberts, Ryan Gauld, Danny Swanson (who's one of the least "athletic" players I can think of) and the same height as Shaun Maloney. I'll not list all the players who are the same height as him but you get the point passing off on the idea that he'll not make it because he's not 6'+ is simply looking for an excuse. Having said that, it's fair comment that he's often seemed to be brushed off the ball too easily in first team games.

I like Dom as a player but while he's been consistently good at u20 level and can turn full backs inside out he hasn't offered much by way of end product in terms of goals and the regular comment is that he needs to improve his final ball, unlike some of those that players I've mentioned above. I'm not sure what his goalscoring record is like for the 20s but it's been a while since I remember him scoring. That aspect of his game has nothing to do with his height or his weight.

I don't think it's specifically height and/or weight (overall physique) that's holding him back or has held him back at 'Well. But his lack of both is a bit of a disadvantage over other less skillful and experienced players. That's just a fact in the current game.

So, he has to have even better skill than his competitors in a top level game, make better decisions on the field and not lose the ball as much. If he does all of that he will play.

He is/was a similar build to Ryan Gauld when he first broke through. Gauld was just so good he didn't need to rely on his physique and therfore played and got a big move. Wether that was the best move and be improves is another argument...

I still think he has a shot. But he needs to really impress when he get his sub chances and/or impress out on loan in Jan. Otherwise, I think unfortunately his time may be up in the next year or 2.

• Like 1

Openly admit I have never really taken to the hype surrounding Thomas. He has some good skills but his failure to have any sort of end product or even find another guy with a pass is there for all to see. Cadden has proven if you play well enough you can break through to this team.

In my opinion we should have put him out on loan a long time ago. I would loan him out in January and if he does nothing we might as well let him move on. I am sceptical that he would even get a regular game for even some championship teams. The reality is that u20s is a BIG gap from first team competition. This is partly the reason so many managers want the reserve league back.

Perhaps going off topic a bit, but would the reintroduction of a reserve league really help? You're allowed five overrage in the 20s as it is, how many Premiership teams have more than five spare over 20s who didn't play at the weekend? And even if they did, it would just restrict the chances of young players progressing.

I'm not entirely sure I buy the "he's too small" line of argument. It's slightly disingenuous on my part but at 5' 7" he's taller than Jonny Hayes, Patrick Roberts, Ryan Gauld, Danny Swanson (who's one of the least "athletic" players I can think of) and the same height as Shaun Maloney. I'll not list all the players who are the same height as him but you get the point passing off on the idea that he'll not make it because he's not 6'+ is simply looking for an excuse. Having said that, it's fair comment that he's often seemed to be brushed off the ball too easily in first team games.

Height by itself is not the be all and end all, although it is essential across a team. However if the player isn't tall he needs to be physically strong. Jimmy Johnstone comes to mind - he was only 5-4 but he was as strong as an ox and could could fend off challenges from much bigger players. Danny Swanson? You're right Captain he's not athletic at all but a narky, abrasive, physical player who will bite scratch and claw to win the ball or hold onto it. There's no way he'd have made teams managed by Tom Wright or Craig Levein otherwise. Character is also important and players like Billy Bremner or more recently Willo Flood are not the kind of guys you'd want to meet up an alleyway after dark. Why hasn't Dom really broken into the first team? Mark McGhee and Faddy are probably best placed to answer that as they'll see him 5 or 6 days a week, as Gadgey said.

Can't he go out on loan to a team at the lower leagues or is that past now

He could go out on an "emergency loan" (Emergency Temporary Transfer) to a side in the Championship and lower for a minimum of 28 days and maximum of 93 days. From the looks of things now if he's going to move it'd probably be in the next transfer window. Having said that, another side has to want to take him.

You can't just arbitrarily decide he's going out on loan and force him on some lower league side.