White Vs Black

Bigwellfan

Anyone watch this last night. It made me think back to Joe Wark's testimonial when we were humped 8-1 by West Brom.

It is the only time I can ever remember the opposition being applauded for the way they played that night

I was at that game, I forgot the score ( pleased to say ).

I have a memory of Wullie Pettigrew racing Laurie Cunningham and Cyrile Regis before the game, I remember him winning but everyone else says he got gubbed, can't remember.

All praise to Laurie Cunningham and Cyrile Regis.

Anyone in the stadium that night saw two of three greatest ambassadors for black British players ever - along with Viv Anderson. Those of us old enough enough will remember the CONTROVERSY - yup, controversy - of Viv Anderson, a black player being picked for England.

Different times - hard to believe and hard to explain to the youngsters of today that it was even an issue.

Laurie Cunningham - what a sensational, unbelievable player - who went to Real Madrid and died way too young in a car crash.

Cyrile Regis - I remember him playing with the Coventry City team that won the FA cup in 87. Another outstanding player.

These three men should be lauded ( Cunningham was awarded a blue plaque in London after his death ). Regis and Anderson should be knighted for services to football.

What they endured to plow the path for modern black footballers was beyond belief.

WBA were excellent and, to make things worse, we played mince.

I suspect, as was normal in those days, Motherwell were expecting a bit of a kickabout exhibition game whereas WBA seemed to approach it like a cup final and took us to the cleaners. Felt bad for Joe Wark as he was never at the races.

I also remember Willie Johnson made a returning cameo appearance after his expulsion from the World Cup.

I was at that game, I forgot the score ( pleased to say ).

I have a memory of Wullie Pettigrew racing Laurie Cunningham and Cyrile Regis before the game, I remember him winning but everyone else says he got gubbed, can't remember.

All praise to Laurie Cunningham and Cyrile Regis.

Anyone in the stadium that night saw two of three greatest ambassadors for black British players ever - along with Viv Anderson. Those of us old enough enough will remember the CONTROVERSY - yup, controversy - of Viv Anderson, a black player being picked for England.

Different times - hard to believe and hard to explain to the youngsters of today that it was even an issue.

Laurie Cunningham - what a sensational, unbelievable player - who went to Real Madrid and died way too young in a car crash.

Cyrile Regis - I remember him playing with the Coventry City team that won the FA cup in 87. Another outstanding player.

These three men should be lauded ( Cunningham was awarded a blue plaque in London after his death ). Regis and Anderson should be knighted for services to football.

What they endured to plow the path for modern black footballers was beyond belief.

Yeah you're memory is shot to pieces - WP hardly got out of the blocks before both Cunningham and Regis were over the finishing line. He wasn't even close.

Aye, Wullie P's advantage was he was a yard quicker off the mark than the defenders he played against.

Cunningham and Regis had the physique of Olympic sprinters and the speed to match. I still think Cyrille could have given his cousin John a run for his money, never mind Pettigrew.