Mcghee Out?

postiejim

Who's the other ex player we were interested in that did something in Portuguese football, or am I making this up? Vaguely remember something about it.

Van der Gaag I presume mate, he was in the running when we appointed Baraclough. Took Maritimo into Europe and won promotion with Belenenses. Not sure where he is now though.

Van der Gaag I presume mate, he was in the running when we appointed Baraclough. Took Maritimo into Europe and won promotion with Belenenses. Not sure where he is now though.

Had to take time out after a heart worry.

Took Eindhoven to the dutch playoffs in the first division last year, and is battling relegation with Excelsior this year (With the bold Nigel Hasselbaink in his team).

Van der Gaag could be a good shout.

He's a young manager who has connections with the club, would love to take the job, and boasts a good track record and some really good success in his short managerial career so far. Certainly not everyone's cup of tea, though.

Without being an expert on the matter and going on what I have read online, Van der Gaag carries much better pedigree/experience/achievement than Valakari.

However, they are both risks as don't know Scottish football other than their brief spell with us. I think we do need a revolution at the club and for me someone who can breath new life and energy into the club.

Right now, I'm very much in the opinion of ANYONE but McGhee.

Van der Gaag could be a good shout.

He's a young manager who has connections with the club, would love to take the job, and boasts a good track record and some really good success in his short managerial career so far. Certainly not everyone's cup of tea, though.

Agreed mate.

• Like 1

Luc Nijholt/Simo Valakari/Mitchel Van Der Gaag/James McFadden/Alex McLeish/Craig Brown/Gordon Mair is only a phone call away.

* Delete as appropriate

+ Crawford Baptie

It was mentioned on the Podcast that Jim McMahon is in hospital. Hopefully it's nothing too serious but it may delay the inevitable.

Who is vice chairman? Dickie?

Yeah Dickie is vice chairman but as Alan Burrows is on the board as well I believe he can also make the decision on their behalf.

Winning the Finnish League is akin to winning the Irish League...is Stephen Kenny available?

He got Dundalk into the Europa league group stages where they didn't disgrace themselves, and almost took them into the Chanpions league proper.

I doubt we could afford him.

:lol:

They conceded 1 more goal in there 6 group games than we did at Pittodrie

:lol:

Simo Valakari "He's a young manager who has connections with the club, would love to take the job, and boasts a good track record and some really good success in his short managerial career so far. Certainly not everyone's cup of tea

Apart from the "connections with the club", you could have written that for Ian Baraclough prior to him getting our job. I think with the catastrophic failure of young, hungry managers like Gannon and Baraclough in the last decade, we're not going down the untried, inexperienced in Scottish football route this time.

It is very harsh to say that Baraclough and Gannon were catastrophic failures. Both managers rebuild squads that had been severely depleted by the previous managers who were both Scottish and familiar with Scottish football (McGhee and McCall).

In Gannon's case the list of good players he brought in was almost unprecedented and let's not forgot that he left the club at Christmas with Motherwell sitting fifth in the league. They finished fifth that season under Craig Brown (as experienced in Scottish football as they come).

In Baraclough's case he kept us in the SPL, something that can hardly be classed as a catastrophic failure. it would be a brave man that would suggest that any manager could have kept us up that season, so surely he must be given some credit. Baraclough also brought us a victory at Ibrox, something that no other Motherwell manager has been able to for decades. He was also responsible for bringing Marvin Johnson and Louis Moult to the club, Motherwell's best sellable assets in some time.

Also has the tried and tested Scottish manager worked this time round?

I don't have a strong preference as to who any new manager should be, in fact I hope that McGhee can turn this round and remains our manager but I would like to keep an open mind rather than trashing people because they are a) not Scottish b) don't know the Scottish game. It is that parochial attitude that has left Scottish football in the sorry state it's in.

As an aside Alex McLeish gives me the fear. Turned one of the best Motherwell sides of my lifetime into relegation fodder while spending a relative fortune in the process. Report's of his time at Motherwell and Rangers suggest that he was very relaxed when it came to things like player discipline and the players eating/drinking habits. Maybe I am not so opened minded for that kind of 1980's style management after all.