Scottish Premiership Aberdeen V Motherwell Wed 15 Feb 19:45

Yabba's Turd

I'm relieved Aberdeen turned it around.

My point still stands though. Surely that much is obvious?

I'm not really sure it does. We were absolutely awful against Aberdeen in midweek. Whether Kilmarnock were beating Aberdeen or otherwise it still wouldn't change the fact we were absolutely awful against Aberdeen in midweek.

Setting one specific outcome against other. How much does it really prove?

Does that mean we should all be cock-a-hoop because we only lost 2-0 at Parkhead yesterday because Inverness lost 6-0 the week before? What perspective does that put on yesterday's result? Surely that proves we must be significantly better than Inverness no? Of course it doesn't.

I think if you're using a broader range than one game against another - such as our league record against Rangers for example - then sure you can say definitively we've a real issue with a team. Or to use that game earlier as an example the stat that Kilmarnock have lost something like 19 successive league games against Aberdeen. But selectively comparing two teams results against the same opposition I'd suggest is more useful for pointing scoring than gaining any real perspective.

• Like 1

Eh? What points are to be scored?

I was merely trying to point out Killie (and Dundee) proved despite being not really being any better/worse than us that it is possible to give the top 4/5 teams a game. Dundee now have 9 points v the top 5 teams (we have 1) so losing to the top teams shouldn't necessarily be the foregone conclusion we appear to believe it is.

Most of us are relieved yesterday wasn't a cricket score but despite Celtic horsing Inverness and Killie at Parkhead had also only beat Accies, Thistle and us by the 1 or 2 goals in previous games so perhaps a convincing if not emphatic he win wasn't entirely unexpected.

Okay let me put it another way. We've fans who will routinely leap upon the outcomes of games against any given opponent and use it as an easy stick to beat the team or manager with despite the fact that taken in isolation the comparison generally proves little.

I didn't actually have you in mind when I made the remark about point scoring but your original post is actually a reasonably good example. If the point you were making was that Kilmarnock beating Aberdeen illustrates that teams from the bottom half can beat the bottom half then why not just say that? Why the need for the "a Kilmarnock side managed by Lee McCulloch......" reference?

To me that read little more than attempt to portray us in an even further negative light (as if anything to do with Wednesday could get much worse!) the inference being how truly awful we surely must be if a side managed by Lee McCulloch can be beating Aberdeen whereas us....

But as it happens Kilmarnock and Aberdeen is the perfect example of why such isolated comparisons prove little or nothing because as it happens having already been pumped 4-0 and 5-1 this season and now lost 19 on the spin against them rather than just one particularly awful game against them it transpires that Killie are actually even worse than us and are consistently dug shit against Aberdeen! :)

I still stand by my point that some of our number can be a bit hasty in using a single result as "ammunition" for a negative "woe is me" style point to be made but if I've misread the intended point in your post then clearly I'm not going to disagree that we should be doing better against the top half sides.

• Like 1

I really don't get the fascination with who we beat and who we lose to. A win versus a top six or bottom six opponent is worth exactly the same number of points. So Dundee have done better against top six clubs than us. Good for them. They've obviously then lost points elsewhere (I.e. against bottom six clubs) or they'd be out of sight of us.

• Like 2

Eh? What points are to be scored?

I was merely trying to point out Killie (and Dundee) proved despite being not really being any better/worse than us that it is possible to give the top 4/5 teams a game. Dundee now have 9 points v the top 5 teams (we have 1) so losing to the top teams shouldn't necessarily be the foregone conclusion we appear to believe it is.

Most of us are relieved yesterday wasn't a cricket score but despite Celtic horsing Inverness and Killie at Parkhead had also only beat Accies, Thistle and us by the 1 or 2 goals in previous games so perhaps a convincing if not emphatic he win wasn't entirely unexpected.

Just in case you missed it:

The same players, give or take, will start every week and the only other question is are we going straight down or via the play offs?

If you're taking bets on that, I'll have twenty quid on not going straight down or being in the play-offs.

I'll take some of that as well. £20 to whatever charity you'd prefer, Milo, should we go down.

I'll take some of that as well. £20 to whatever charity you'd prefer, Milo, should we go down.

On the Frear front I only listened on the radio but they were shocked when he wasn't hooked at half time and I can't remember him mentioned the second half.

Just the usual pull a guy from non-league football and throw him to the wolves routine that we are getting good at.

Who in their right mind thinks that conference players can step up against teams like Aberdeen from one week to the next?

Mental stuff.

Just the usual pull a guy from non-league football and throw him to the wolves routine that we are getting good at.

Who in their right mind thinks that conference players can step up against teams like Aberdeen from one week to the next?

Mental stuff.

Who do you think would win between Wolves & Aberdeen?

Winner to play Bellshill Athletic.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Tonight's result paint us in a better or worse light? Clearly Aberdeen can score a lot of goals against any team. But the fact that Dundee took so many goals off of us doesn't look quite so good...

The day Dundee scored 5 against us, didn't say anything about them our defending was that bad a Boy's Brigade team would have scored 5.

On a serious note, I didn't realise we were only 3 points off Dundee and with a game in hand after last night. Apart from the Rangers victory and our utterly shambolic display against them, Dundee have been horrendous all year. Definitely catchable.