Gunnar Nielson

Chrismfcno1

• 1 month later...

Manchester City goalkeeper to join Wrexham FC

Published Date: 26 March 2009 GUNNAR NIELSON is hoping he can play his part and help revive Wrexham FC's floundering play-off ambitions.The 6'3" Faroe Islands international goalkeeper has joined Wrexham FC on loan from Manchester City until the end of the season and will make his Reds debut against promotion chasing Histon at The Glass World Stadium tomorrow (3pm).

And the 22-year-old has pledged to do what he can to put Wrexham back on track after picking up just one win in nine outings.

"I heard on Wednsday from our goalkeeping coach Kevin Hitchcock that Wrexham wanted me on loan," said Nielson today. "I thought it would be a good chance to get some competitive games.

"I will try and help Wrexham go forward. I know they are trying to get into the play-offs but it has not gone well recently so I will just try my best for them.

"There are nine games left and I will do what I can to help them - I want to do well for Wrexham.

"It will be a good experience and I am really looking forward to it. I am confident in myself and I want to kick on."

After joining Blackburn Rovers in 2007 from Danish club BK Frern, Neilson spent the first half of the current season on loan at SPL outfit Motherwell before returning to the Premiership club.

But after leaving Blackburn earlier this year, Mark Hughes, his former manager at Ewood Park, snapped up free-agent Nielson in February and he has signed a deal at City until the summer of 2011.

"Mark Hughes knows me and knows what he is getting so I was happy to join City," said Nielson.

"I am enjoying it there. I am adapting to being there and learning about the people, and I have played a couple of reserve team games.

"When you have seen people like Robinho on television, and then then you are working next to him in training, it is great.

"It is a club with great plans and is going places. I will just work hard and see where it takes me."

Capped at all levels from under 15's to 21's for Faroe Islands, Neilson was handed his full debut in last Sunday's 2-1 win over Iceland.

"It was a local derby and was great to be involved, and to win," added Nielson.

Anthony Williams has been between the posts for Wrexham's last five league games, taking over from first choice Gavin Ward.

And assistant manager Terry Darracott said it was time for a new face following Wrexham's recent slump in form with the Reds losing their fifth game in nine league outings when they went down 1-0 against Kidderminster Harriers at The Racecourse on Monday.

"Our performance on Monday was very good and we were pleased with that but disappointed to let in a late goal," said Darracott.

"We have conceded too many goals lately. We created enough chances against Kidderminster, particularly in the first half, but you have got to give yourselves a better chance by not conceding.

"It is all down to Mark Hughes for letting Gunnar come here.

"We decided we wanted to make changes there and look at someone else.

"We've seen Gunnar play and hopefully it works out for him and us.

"He is keen to do well for us. We've got nine games in four weeks so it is going to be an interesting period for us."

I don't know what's the most significant aspect of that report. Nielson going on loan again or from a Scotland perspective, that Iceland lost to the Faroes.

Wouldn't read too much into that, the key Icelandic players did not feature, with the main exception being Eidur Gudjohnsen.

They will be an entirely different proposition with him in the starting XI.

They really shouldn't though. We have played Iceland three times in the last few years and I am still awaiting for Gudjohnsen to show up...

Judging by his performances against Scotland, when he turns out for Iceland the amount of times I have saw him drop back into the defensive mid role (I know he is slightly familiar with playing further back for Barca, just not that far back), just to pick up a little bit of possession. This when he is meant to be a CF for Iceland. Not his fault, he has to play and move into more unorthodox positions just to get into the game at all.

Not that I am saying he makes a team, but an Iceland without Gudjohnsen has basically no threat whatsoever and should be treated almost as a walkover at Hampden and a comfortable win away. But, with Gudjohnsen in the team they have a slight threat about them.

I mean plenty of shite players have looked good when surrounded by class. So, even with Eidur there his mere presence may get that little bit more out of his teammates e.g means we may put an extra man on him - marking him out the game - allowing extra space for someone else to exploit.

Despite not being impressed in his previous matches against Scotland, you would admit to rather playing Iceland without him than with him..