Irn Bru Cup

WishyWell

By the sounds of it we are lucky to be only one down. Possibly too much for the boys.

With Accies, Aberdeen and Ross County u20s getting gubbed you have to wonder how long they will keep these teams in the tournament.

Why? 5 of the 6 clubs beat senior sides in the first round. If they've kept League 2 clubs and Non-League clubs in while their performances as a group have been historically worse then results wouldn't be the reason to pull them.

I still maintain a large part of the inclusion of U20 sides was about softening clubs and supporters up for the future attempt at the inclusion of both Rangers and Celtic U20 sides in the lower leagues in Scotland.

Happily though for both of them it hasn't gone anywhere near as well as those in favour of their inclusion might have hoped. None of two of them have come close to winning the thing, the anticipated thronging crowds that their supports would bring failed to materialise and the viewing figures from the Celtic games Premier Sports featured last season were so poor they haven't even bothered this year.

• Like 2

Most fans of lower league clubs feel it is devaluing the competition and given the fact that most Premiership clubs won't even play their games at their home grounds they have a point.

The only reason the u20s are in was to test the waters for Old Firm Colt teams in the league set up. The results have proven that is a non starter now so we should leave the lower league teams to their tournament.

Happily though for both of them it hasn't gone anywhere near as well as those in favour of their inclusion might have hoped. None of two of them have come close to winning the thing, the anticipated thronging crowds that their supports would bring failed to materialise and the viewing figures from the Celtic games Premier Sports featured last season were so poor they haven't even bothered this year.

I remember someone on here said Celtic u20s were the favourites for the tournament last year which was mental. As you say i'm glad they have been found out.

Just Newell I think and he is only 20.

McMillan would be the other one.

1.5.5 “Over Age Players” means Players who are League Registered with the parent Club of the Colt Team and who had attained the age of 19 years on 31 December of the year before the year in which the relevant Season commences;

https://spfl.co.uk/docs/067_324__challengecupregulations201730june_1501603596.pdf

McMillan was 19 on 18th December last year.

I still maintain a large part of the inclusion of U20 sides was about softening clubs and supporters up for the future attempt at the inclusion of both Rangers and Celtic U20 sides in the lower leagues in Scotland.

Was listening to Sportsound today and I think it was Darryl Broadfoot more or less said that the inclusion of "cross border teams" was done to set a precedent with a view of smoothing access to England for Celtic and Rangers. If true, agenda if getting their U20s into the League wouldnt be a surprise.

• Like 2

Was listening to Sportsound today and I think it was Darryl Broadfoot more or less said that the inclusion of "cross border teams" was done to set a precedent with a view of smoothing access to England for Celtic and Rangers. If true, agenda if getting their U20s into the League wouldnt be a surprise.

This wouldn't surprise me. I have no objection to Celtic and Sevco joining English leagues, none whatosever, but don't leave their under 20s behind. If they leave they leave end of.

• Like 2