Strength In Depth

livivoice

Did others see the strength of our bench today?

For a group of us today in the Cooper we agreed that anyone of the 7 would have contributed a lot if called upon.

This is a big contrast with previous years and gives confidence for the season ahead.

I take it I was one of this group in the Cooper?

As Robinson said post match - the team no longer picks itself. Newell and Petravicius available as well. If we keep Moult and Cadden, and sign someone who can cover right and centre back, then we have a squad to feel optimistic about.

I mentioned it in the Hearts thread too. There were 3 or 4 different line ups suggested, all which had their merits.

There can't have been many squads in the last few years where we aren't significantly weakened when we have 3 or 4 players missing. Even the teams that finished 2nd/3rd there was very little behind the first 12-13 players, although I appreciate the starting 11 back then was stronger. We now have a squad of 17-18 players who can all be relied upon.

Depending on what position you're talking about whether we have strength in depth or not.

Centre midfielders? Loads of them.

Strikers? Falling out of cupboards.

Centre halfs? Hmmmm, only one spare (Plummer) and he's relatively untested, and then we're converting a midfielder for cover.

Potential sale of Heneghan will I reckon see McHugh at centre back and a midfield three of Rose, Bigirmana and Cadden with MacLean and Campbell as back up.

Also could do with cover for Frear on the left. Fisher is not an option.

I do agree with the general point that we have more options than before but if we're going to play three at the back we need more than four centre backs in the squad...

• Like 1

Potential sale of Heneghan will I reckon see McHugh at centre back and a midfield three of Rose, Bigirmana and Cadden with MacLean and Campbell as back up.

You say that like McHugh will accept the move with grace and be happy about it. I think he sees himself (rightly) as a centre mid and accepted the move last season because we had our backs to the wall. However with a window still open, replacement targets no doubt identified, being drafted back to the defence from midfield deliberately may not go down well.

Positives:

Allan Campbell

Big Cedric (I often think what a pairing we could have had if Dembele opted to stay)

Bowman .... where the hell were you last season? Looks like he's taken on Louis work ethic

Henegan, before the season when many were listing their ideal starting line up he wasn't even on the bench

Jury's Out:

Still to see Petravicius so it could be a revelation

Plummer, not really made it past the U20's so far but encouraged by his pedigree and review of St Mirren fans. He could be the left wing back solution

Sorry to say it but Louis seems a bit miffed we've possibly put a bump in the road of his career, still doing the business though

Rose, Tanner - How they'll be used and where, at the moment we've yet to see Robinson's strongest line up

We know that Frear has something about him, was arguably the best player from Jan to May, not regained all form but know what he's capable of

Only disappointments so far have been:

Bigirmana (I thought he would have been more instrumental in our plans)

Fisher (Granted Bowman has came back like a new player but still looking for last seasons late form to continue)

Tait's situational awareness and defensive qualities in question now

Still early doors and on paper this must be the strongest side with respect to pedigree and achievements:

------------Carson---------------

----Henegen--Kipre--Dunne----

Frear-----McHugh-----Plummer

------Cadden--Bigirmana ------

-------------Rose-----------------

-------------Moult----------------

Robinson seems to favour a three centre back, wing backs sort of formation. This above allows McHugh to offer cover to the centre half in a position he's played successfully in last season, Henegen can drift across to RB if required because you don't associate Frear with defensive capabilities. Cadden to offer the drive and Bigi to win the ball and McHugh to come forward to help when not under attack. Rose offers the lynchpin and Moult goes without saying.

However based on form its a different line up, you'd have a good argument for Campbell and Bowman at least. Rose, Cadden, Campbell, Kipre, Bowman and the keeper have all had decent scores in the MotM scoring. Granted some players may have been tasked in something non glamorous thus far, out of position or not even made it on the park to show what they are capable of.

Tait has scored 2 and set up a few, and despite his defensive misgivings (and that he is clearly under instructions to be more attacking) we have won more than we've lost. He also had a load of assists last year, so I'd say he has proved himself as a starter, whereas Plummer hasn't done anything. Frear also hasn't done anything to suggest he can play on the right, and since his game is about getting to the byline and getting crosses in, he'd be better on the left.

I'm pretty sure that by the end of the season frear and tait are going to be way up there in assists.

I think there has been talk of bigi nursing an injury, but I had expected him to be the one we'd be raving about by now, but he hasnt met those expectations yet. I still expect him to be pretty influential as the season goes on though.

I still think fisher will come good, but bowman's improvement has been welcome when fisher and tanner haven't lived up to expectations (yet).

Kipre has been really good, and dunne has been interesting, but a lot is going to depend on who we replace Ben with. If we were looking for a defender anyway, and now the possibility of losing him, we really need someone with a bit of experience to replace him and a right sided center back/wing back hybrid to push tait.

So we'll sign two strikers tomorrow