Kevin Van Veen

Toxteth O'Grady

7 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Without wanting to take anything away from the pre war era football it's worth nothing that in Ferguson/MacFadyen era teams lined up with 5 forwards and 2 defenders.

You still had to put the ball in the net, without looking, were games higher scoring? Also per era these guys outperformed others, producing the goods is producing the goods.

16 hours ago, Yabba's Turd said:

You still had to put the ball in the net, without looking, were games higher scoring? Also per era these guys outperformed others, producing the goods is producing the goods.

The only stats I could find (although I was using Yahoo for some reason rather than Google) were for the English league but the Top 25 best average goals stats were all pre 1960 and 14 of the 25 were pre war.  So I think it probably was easier to score.

In the 1800's they were averaging almost 5 goals per game and then up to about the 1970s it was around 3 - 3.5.  Now it seems to be averaging around 2.4 to 2.8.  

I mean I don't think the dimensions of the goals has changed but I'm sure the average height of a goalkeeper is probably about half a foot taller these days!  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...