Nick Daws - The man for the job?

David

On 4/7/2023 at 3:29 PM, Spiderpig said:

For me Daws is nothing more than a scout hawking players to any club who will take them. If Motherwell feel they need a head of recruitment etc then that person should be based at the club full time, know the players, set up etc and identify players that they think will fit our system and improve on what we have.

I dunno, most of the folk on here who apparently know all those things better than him are only based at the club for 90 minutes a fortnight.

• Haha 1

If we had someone who was based at the club full time the complaints on here would be "why are we wasting a wage on someone who just watches videos in his office all day instead of located for easy access to all the games in our target market?"

On 2/4/2024 at 8:55 PM, Dossertillidie2 said:

The one thing Hammell had in abundance was a great judge of character. wanted Dawes/sol/ojala/morris/shields/maguire moved on to make space for new signings the day he came in. Eventually got the majority of those out but dawes held on to damage us again this summer. The guy fancies himself as a coach but landed a nice cushty number working from his home down south thanks to his pal alexander and we are stuck with him.

when a guy not long retired can scout furlong, butcher, casey, penney before his own recruitment manager that says it all!

100% mate daws is the biggest reason we are in the position we are in 35 players he has brought in with the exception of 2 or 3 the rest are shit 

On 2/4/2024 at 11:47 AM, wellgirl said:

How do you know the new players we have recruited are awful. You don't want Bair? So you don't want someone who is scoring goals for us just now? Just get rid aye?

Our defence was leaking goals ... Maybe that's why we signed some. 

Ehh the way we played this season sums that up as we have been awful unless your going to different games to me 

• Haha 1

On 2/13/2024 at 11:59 AM, wellfan said:

Either this means we won't see the back of Daws anytime soon, or it's replacing him. I hope it's the latter.

https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2024/02/13/partnership-with-off-the-pitch/

This platform is more finance-driven than player-driven statistics. It's a welcome addition, though, as anything that helps us tighten up our processes across the board is a good thing.

It certainly won't be replacing Daws. No software can do that. We're always going to need a Head of Recruitment and a team of analysts. These platforms, and the ones I have messed about with in the past, can provide all the information you need, but someone has to act upon it. 

3 hours ago, David said:

This platform is more finance-driven than player-driven statistics. It's a welcome addition, though, as anything that helps us tighten up our processes across the board is a good thing.

It certainly won't be replacing Daws. No software can do that. We're always going to need a Head of Recruitment and a team of analysts. These platforms, and the ones I have messed about with in the past, can provide all the information you need, but someone has to act upon it. 

It is indeed finance-driven; therefore, I wonder why Daws was rolled out to provide a media quote for the website article. His role must have some financial/budgetary aspects, but you'd imagine his focus and expertise are more on the player-driven stats you refer to. Perhaps there is more to the partnership and platform than the media release demonstrates. 

I agree a lot of our recruitment has been questionable to say the least, but I'm wondering how much of that is down to Daws?

We aren't party to targets he has identified but have not wanted to come to us for financial reasons.

Perhaps 4 targetted players for a position have knocked us back and we are recruiting  'way down his list', at 5th choice or worse, so maybe not surprising a lot haven't worked out?

As I say merely wondering if thats the case?

On 2/14/2024 at 7:23 PM, Clackscat said:

I agree a lot of our recruitment has been questionable to say the least, but I'm wondering how much of that is down to Daws?

We aren't party to targets he has identified but have not wanted to come to us for financial reasons.

Perhaps 4 targetted players for a position have knocked us back and we are recruiting  'way down his list', at 5th choice or worse, so maybe not surprising a lot haven't worked out?

As I say merely wondering if thats the case?

Thing is, when it comes to recruitment, the buck stops with the head of the department. 

He knows our budget; it's his job to find players in the positions the manager identifies. If he isn't capable, then he needs to be replaced.