Nick Daws - The man for the job?

David

With Hammell under the spotlight and being scrutinised, I thought it only fair that some of the other key figures at the club see the same discussion.

So, Nick Daws. Appointed head of recruitment on June 11th 2021, he was brought in the season after Alexander replaced Robinson, replacing Martin Foyle. 

It's obvious that Daws was Alexander's guy, having worked with him previously. 

Let's look at the transfer business we've done since he came in:

• Justin Amaluzor
  • Kaiyne Woolery
  • Kevin van Veen
  • Liam Kelly
  • Darragh O'Connor
  • Mich'el Parker
  • Callum Slattery
  • Juhani Ojala
  • Sean Goss
  • Sondre Johansen
  • Ross Tierney
  • Jordan Roberts (Initial loan from Hearts, then permanent signing)
  • Victor Nirennold
  • Joseph Efford
  • Robbie Mahon
  • Liam Shaw (Loan from Celtic)
  • Blair Spittal
  • Paul McGinn
  • Josh Morris
  • Aston Oxborough
  • Shane Blaney
  • Stuart McKinstry (Loan from Leeds)
  • Matt Penney (Loan from Ipswich)
  • Rolando Aarons (Loan from Huddersfield)
  • Louis Moult (Loan from Burton)

One thing I would point out is that Amaluzor, Woolery, Van Veen and Kelly all arrived within a month of Daws taking the job, so how much we can consider them to be his signings I'm not sure, but it's worth considering that those players were most likely identified if not already being spoken to by the time Daws came in. 

Anyway, that's his transfer incomings thus far. 

• David changed the title to Nick Daws - The man for the job?
13 minutes ago, David said:

With Hammell under the spotlight and being scrutinised, I thought it only fair that some of the other key figures at the club see the same discussion.

So, Nick Daws. Appointed head of recruitment on June 11th 2021, he was brought in the season after Alexander replaced Robinson, replacing Martin Foyle. 

• Justin Amaluzor
  • Kaiyne Woolery
  • Kevin van Veen
  • Liam Kelly
  • Darragh O'Connor
  • Mich'el Parker
  • Callum Slattery
  • Juhani Ojala
  • Sean Goss
  • Sondre Johansen
  • Ross Tierney
  • Victor Nirennold
  • Joseph Efford
  • Robbie Mahon
  • Blair Spittal
  • Paul McGinn
  • Josh Morris
  • Aston Oxborough
  • Shane Blaney

One thing I would point out is that Amaluzor, Woolery, Van Veen and Kelly all arrived within a month of Daws taking the job, so how much we can consider them to be his signings I'm not sure, but it's worth considering that those players were most likely identified if not already being spoken to by the time Daws came in. 

Folye was more successful in my view.

28 minutes ago, David said:

• Justin Amaluzor
  • Kaiyne Woolery
  • Kevin van Veen
  • Liam Kelly
  • Darragh O'Connor
  • Mich'el Parker
  • Callum Slattery
  • Juhani Ojala
  • Sean Goss
  • Sondre Johansen
  • Ross Tierney
  • Victor Nirennold
  • Joseph Efford
  • Robbie Mahon
  • Blair Spittal
  • Paul McGinn
  • Josh Morris
  • Aston Oxborough
  • Shane Blaney

We really have wasted a fair amount of cash on utter dross when you see some of the names on that list, no wonder we are struggling now.

We need to make up our minds - are we now blaming the recruitment guy for transfers? 

theres no way that daws was identifying arrons, moult or mckinstry in the same way it’s unlikely he was involved in Kelly van veen etc.  There will be some players  the management identify, some via the recruitment team. Consequently, it’s difficult to apportion blame / credit.

The list, irrespective of responsibility,  doesn’t make for good reading it has to be said

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Big Wispy Flossy said:

We need to make up our minds - are we now blaming the recruitment guy for transfers? 

theres no way that daws was identifying arrons, moult or mckinstry in the same way it’s unlikely he was involved in Kelly van veen etc.  There will be some players  the management identify, some via the recruitment team. Consequently, it’s difficult to apportion blame / credit.

Good post. Its almost impossible to apportion individual signings to the Head of Recruitment or management. 

Just now, Kmcalpin said:

Good post. Its almost impossible to apportion individual signings to the Head of Recruitment or management. 

Well, it's an internet forum and the football is giving me the fear, so it's worth a try 😂

Seriously though, I just thought it would be worth mentioning some of the other key players at the club to try and open to conversation from just slating the manager and players.

I wonder what the general success rate is across all teams in our division, and whether we're above or below that line. Hibs must be the worst, they've thrown a whole load of shit at multiple walls to get that first XI, so sometimes moreoney doesn't equal better recruitment.

You don't tend to look at other teams dross, instead you see they signed a couple of decent players and assume they're good at signings. I also think there's some rose tinted glasses with Foyle, he signed some good ones, but also some dross squad filler.

Daws is the head of recruitment, so he has to be the one accountable for who we sign. I thought the idea of having one of these guys is to ensure there's consistency and forward thinking in our recruitment, and to take the responsibility away from the manager. Unlike Foyle, he hasn't signed anyone good yet. Maybe KVV?

Without seeing how much work is done behind the scenes and how many of the recommendations are taken up, not to mention how successful the negotiating team are, its impossible to say. What I do know is that its imperative he has a good January and that the manager and the board get their bit right as well.

The problem, at least in some ways, for me is that we hired the current head of recruitment based on their relationship with the manager at the time. 

Daws worked with Alexander as  his assistant at Scunthorpe United, and was obviously Alexander's choice to replace Foyle. The question I have is, did Foyle signal his intent to leave when Robinson got the boot? Or was he effectively removed to make way for Alexander's choice?

For a club our size, the head of recruitment is a huge position, and isn't something that should be chosen by whoever the manager at the time is. If Foyle was ousted to make way for Daws then serious questions need to be asked, as he was doing a good job by all accounts. 

Oh its definitely important for a club our size to be maximising the bang for our buck in the transfer market and no doubting the importance of the position. Its just impossible to have an opinion on it with so many unknown variables.

5 hours ago, David said:

• Justin Amaluzor
  • Kaiyne Woolery
  • Kevin van Veen
  • Liam Kelly
  • Darragh O'Connor
  • Mich'el Parker
  • Callum Slattery
  • Juhani Ojala
  • Sean Goss
  • Sondre Johansen
  • Ross Tierney
  • Victor Nirennold
  • Joseph Efford
  • Robbie Mahon
  • Blair Spittal
  • Paul McGinn
  • Josh Morris
  • Aston Oxborough
  • Shane Blaney

jesus christ David you must have some amount of spare time on your hands ???    just saying like :)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, well_said said:

Rumour has it , Daws has left the building.

ahhh   agent daws,    return to alexander  base        mission ( nearly )  acomplesed        youv managed to leave them in shite street with your recomendations good job agent daws, :whistle: