The Steelmen Online Player of the Year 2023/24

David

So, thanks to @weeyin and his consistency with the MOTM threads after every game, I've had a look at who has been winning those votes each game this season and compiled the following list of players who are, by democratic vote, considered the performers of the season for Motherwell.

Leading the way with 7 MOTM awards, and of absolutely no surprise to anyone, is...

16x9-Van-Veen-side-graffiti_790x500_acf_cropped-1.jpg

Kevin Van Veen. 

Striker extraordinaire, lazy c*nt, budget Bergkamp. He's been called it all this season, but the one thing he absolutely is, is crucial to our success since Kettlewell took over.

Top striker, top guy, let's hope he's still here next season.

In second spot is...

Matt-Penney-site_790x500_acf_cropped.jpg

Matt Penney

Not even at the club for six months, but it's fair to say he made an impression during his time in Lanarkshire. 

16 league games, two cup games. 5 MOTM awards. Basically, he was voted our best player in almost 30% of the games he played for us. 

A very good player who most fans would loved to have kept here for longer.

Third place in the voting is shared among three players who nabbed 4 votes each...

Liam-Kelly-Site_790x500_acf_cropped.jpg

Liam Kelly.

The captain, and one of the best shot stoppers in the league in my opinion. He gets a bit of stick when he dips below the usually high standards he sets, but that comes with the territory. 

Solholm-Johansen-site_790x500_acf_cropped.jpg

Sondre Solholm Johansen

At the club for just shy of 18 months, the big man made an impression on the fans for sure. A bit of a cult hero, even if he had his deficiencies as a player. Always gave his all, and will be fondly remembered by most fans I'd like to think.

McKinstry-signs_790x500_acf_cropped.jpg

Stuart McKinstry

While the local lads homecoming didn't go quite to plan and he was slowly phased out when Kettlewell took over, he did more than enough to win the votes of fans in the times he did play.

Will we see him at Motherwell next season? I doubt it. But he'll go on to do well somewhere I think.

So there you have it. The players who secured the highest three votes in the season. Thanks again to @weeyin for running those polls. 

• Like 1

Yep big thanks to weeyin for all the organising, it's always good to have chance of voting on each game. Interesting seeing the results, Sol in 4th place is an eye opener but just my opinion as I never rated the guy. He reminds me of Bevis, a cult figure and nice guy but just not that good

12 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Interesting seeing the results, Sol in 4th place is an eye opener but just my opinion as I never rated the guy. He reminds me of Bevis, a cult figure and nice guy but just not that good

Far superior to Lamie and Mugabi to be fair, we all know you didn't like him on the megaphone,  he got stick for being slow but was Usain Bolt compared to Ricki. His early partnership with Ojala looked like it was going to be immense but sadly injuries put paid to that.

It was some season for KVV, it'll be sad to see him go. You think of some of the chances he missed earlier in the campaign he could have been well into the mid-30s. I liked Penney but he tailed off massively toward the end, I was worried about Furlong being his replacement as he had only managed to muster a few senior appearances before coming here.

It's nice to see Kelly get back to form with some fine stops yesterday. Feel bad that McKinstry dropped out of the side, I understand why but he was one of the rare shining lights earlier in the campaign.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, maz said:

Far superior to Lamie and Mugabi to be fair, we all know you didn't like him on the megaphone,  he got stick for being slow but was Usain Bolt compared to Ricki. His early partnership with Ojala looked like it was going to be immense but sadly injuries put paid to that.

It was some season for KVV, it'll be sad to see him go. You think of some of the chances he missed earlier in the campaign he could have been well into the mid-30s. I liked Penney but he tailed off massively toward the end, I was worried about Furlong being his replacement as he had only managed to muster a few senior appearances before coming here.

It's nice to see Kelly get back to form with some fine stops yesterday. Feel bad that McKinstry dropped out of the side, I understand why but he was one of the rare shining lights earlier in the campaign.

Yup I did mention the megaphone 1 or 10 times!! Lol. Apart from that I just didn't rate him.  For McKinstry I do feel sorry for him as he has been doing well. The 3 5 2 was difficult to fit him in but when SK has record of W9 D3 L2 it's hard to disagree with that formation 

Interesting how the results are weighted to players who performed under Hammel when the team was shit. I'd say Furlong was much better than Penny, but Penny only had to compare with Carroll and McGinlay who are rank and should ever have had extended contracts. I reckon Solholm got the votes because he was a megaphone fans fav, but again Butcher and Cassey are head and shoulders above.

I guess Van Veen's purple patch under the Kettle has stopped the other mentioned above getting the votes it would be interesting to see this split under Managers.

Thanks for setting this up 

• Like 1

I think the comments about Sondre and his megaphone swaying opinion in these polls are fairly accurate to be honest. Though he did contribute more than Bevis or Lamie in the first half of the season.

Kevin van Veen certainly has enjoyed a ‘purple patch’ since Kettlewell took over in mid February but he has clearly been out and out our best player all season long. Without the goals he got from August to February we would probably have been facing the playoffs this week at best. I know he cut a frustrated, even huffy figure at times during that spell but given that he was getting next to no support from his teammates and the system we were playing just didn’t suit him then I can understand that.

He definitely did improve significantly when SK took over, as did Blair Spittal who has looked a different player to what he was under Hammell. 

When you then factor in his almost ridiculously good scoring run in the last round of matches then it is no wonder that he is our player of the year.

Despite being one of his more vocal critics thru the winter period, Im surprised KVV only won 7 MOTM awards. Outnof 38 games I would have expected more than that. 

Also surprised Spittal doesnt even rate a mention.

I guess the awards must have been shared widely througout the squad.....

PS. Well done Weeyin!

Someone has to take responsibility for these things so its nice to be appreciated!

Thanks @David for doing the boring part of tallying up the votes.

Some interesting stats across the season. If you look at total votes cast, KVV was first and Goss was a clear second. Goss actually picked up votes in more games across the season than Kev. Same for Spittal in fourth spot - he also picked up votes in more games than KVV.

O'Donnell had the 6th highest total number of votes across the season.

Butcher manages the 7th highest total which was pretty impressive for 14 appearances.

Kelly had the highest individual total in anyone game - 42 in our early season win against St Mirren.

The lowest number of votes to win it was Matt Penney, when he was MOTM against Rangers in December. There were only 7 votes cast he 4 were for him.

• Like 2