Pat Nevin new book

twistandshout1983

20 hours ago, mfc said:

I think boyle really thought we could take it to the old firm when he took over but he had no clue in running a football club,putting nevin and davies in such important roles was a huge mistake,we needed experience in the dugout and behind the scenes.theres definitely been more enjoyable times following us when we were skint than shelling out fortunes to watch the likes of spencer and brannan.

Was a fan of both Brannan and Spencer , but definitely been more enjoyable times in the years since 

Main reason I was interested in reading as the late 90s/early 00s was probably the time when I was most obsessed with all things Motherwell.  

At times we were brutal on the park to watch , Davies last year or so in charge springs to mind but in those days I used to enjoy going to the Reserve games also on a Monday night where we witnessed the birth of Faddy etc 

57 minutes ago, twistandshout1983 said:

Was a fan of both Brannan and Spencer , but definitely been more enjoyable times in the years since 

Main reason I was interested in reading as the late 90s/early 00s was probably the time when I was most obsessed with all things Motherwell.  

At times we were brutal on the park to watch , Davies last year or so in charge springs to mind but in those days I used to enjoy going to the Reserve games also on a Monday night where we witnessed the birth of Faddy etc 

I was never really a fan of either to be honest,I dread to think what they cost us while they were here,brannan to be fair was fond of cracking goal every so often,mainly when the game was on the tele,his goal when we beat hearts in the cup at fir park when they won it the year before was a peach,that was probably my favourite game throughout that whole period.it was definitely an interesting time for us,I was obsessed with reading the papers each morning as we were linked with new players pretty much everyday 😂.

1 hour ago, mfc said:

I was never really a fan of either to be honest,I dread to think what they cost us while they were here,brannan to be fair was fond of cracking goal every so often,mainly when the game was on the tele,his goal when we beat hearts in the cup at fir park when they won it the year before was a peach,that was probably my favourite game throughout that whole period.it was definitely an interesting time for us,I was obsessed with reading the papers each morning as we were linked with new players pretty much everyday 😂.

One we were linked with I remember was Gazza  . Sure I remember it was quoted we would use some of the gate receipts to fund the deal , was never ever happening .  Ended up at Everton a few weeks later

14 minutes ago, twistandshout1983 said:

One we were linked with I remember was Gazza  . Sure I remember it was quoted we would use some of the gate receipts to fund the deal , was never ever happening .  Ended up at Everton a few weeks later

I have no memory of that, none. weird 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, twistandshout1983 said:

That would have been a very expensive mistake at a time when we were already well down the road to financial ruin.

One ex Rangers player we should have signed during that spell was Ally McCoist when he left Ibrox in 1998 and ended up at Killie. He would have contributed more goals in that team than John Spencer did imo.

5 hours ago, MJC said:

That would have been a very expensive mistake at a time when we were already well down the road to financial ruin.

One ex Rangers player we should have signed during that spell was Ally McCoist when he left Ibrox in 1998 and ended up at Killie. He would have contributed more goals in that team than John Spencer did imo.

If I remember correctly we did try to sign him but he was persuaded to join Killie by Ian Durrant. 

In 1998 we had also tried to sign a veteran John Robertson when his contract expired at Hearts. 

I think looking back, with the handling of Kampman getting his jotters which included a bumper payoff and for him not to speak to the press was a sign of things to come on how the club operated at the time. Some past favourites like Jim Griffin were treated shoddily then you had the likes of Rob Matthaei and David Kelly threatening or getting into fights. 

1 hour ago, pretzel said:

If I remember correctly we did try to sign him but he was persuaded to join Killie by Ian Durrant. 

In 1998 we had also tried to sign a veteran John Robertson when his contract expired at Hearts. 

I think looking back, with the handling of Kampman getting his jotters which included a bumper payoff and for him not to speak to the press was a sign of things to come on how the club operated at the time. Some past favourites like Jim Griffin were treated shoddily then you had the likes of Rob Matthaei and David Kelly threatening or getting into fights. 

Seem to remember there being some fall out between Jim Griffin and wee Billy , but can’t remember what the story was 

He ended up at Motherwell College doing sport and fitness not long after as he was my mates tutor 

47 minutes ago, twistandshout1983 said:

Seem to remember there being some fall out between Jim Griffin and wee Billy , but can’t remember what the story was 

He ended up at Motherwell College doing sport and fitness not long after as he was my mates tutor 

My memory might be playing tricks, but was it not some "car mechanic/electrician" course.

23 hours ago, weeyin said:

While I appreciated Ready's frustration at the time, I remember his public complaints making him sound like a spoiled brat. His message seemed to be that footballers were special and shouldn't be treated like other employees in other businesses when administration kicks in.

I'd imagine the vast majority of fans in Lanarkshire have been through redundancy at least once and didn't expect the special treatment Mr Ready was expecting.

Understand and agree. According to Eddie F - he was sold a dream by JB and PN, uprooted his family, etc - which wouldn't be the same as others (I'm not trying to lessen their blow) - anyway long story short according to story - he kept on asking to speak to them. Maybe denying was sensible - I wouldn't have liked to have been in a toe to toe with him!

8 hours ago, steelman1991 said:

My memory might be playing tricks, but was it not some "car mechanic/electrician" course.

As a student when he was with the club he did indeed do that but after he was replaced as assistant manager he went to the old Motherwell College and became a lecturer before becoming a head of that department. 

I think around that era there were some ludicrous headlines in the tabloids. The original Ronaldo was apparently approached by Rangers but it was something like he didn't need to play in SPL fixtures it was Europe only. Ironically enough it was at a time when they were also spending dosh above what they could afford but it was an additional 10 years after us that it caught up with them.

I've ordered Pat's book, always interesting to get insights of particular events. I'm sure he and Boyle used to be good friends but I think that soured over the whole administration stuff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kat said:

I think around that era there were some ludicrous headlines in the tabloids. The original Ronaldo was apparently approached by Rangers but it was something like he didn't need to play in SPL fixtures it was Europe only. Ironically enough it was at a time when they were also spending dosh above what they could afford but it was an additional 10 years after us that it caught up with them.

I've ordered Pat's book, always interesting to get insights of particular events. I'm sure he and Boyle used to be good friends but I think that soured over the whole administration stuff.

My copy came in today , and looks like there is a lot of Well related stuff in this 

The unfortunate death of youth player Andy Thomson in 1998 , talks about the late Andy Goram as well and the build up to the 7-1 defeat against Glasgow’s other mob 

My only minor niggle with Nevin is, at least up until now, he has never seemed to take any blame for the mistakes that happened under his watch. Be interested to hear if his book is any different in that regard.

Actually, I lied. My other niggle is the night he played a major part in defeating us 4 - 3 at FIr Park in a cup game when he was making his name as a youngster at Clyde.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2023 at 11:35 PM, twistandshout1983 said:

Gascoigne is the best player I've ever seen in Scotland but he was absolutely done as a footballer before the end of his Rangers career.

On 6/17/2023 at 12:17 AM, weeyin said:

My only minor niggle with Nevin is, at least up until now, he has never seemed to take any blame for the mistakes that happened under his watch. Be interested to hear if his book is any different in that regard.

Actually, I lied. My other niggle is the night he played a major part in defeating us 4 - 3 at FIr Park in a cup game when he was making his name as a youngster at Clyde.

Which was a replay, after he had scored a wonder goal in the first game to get them the draw. *

*Subject to my dodgy memory being correct. **

** Which is unlikely.

Definetly will be an interesting read , there is at least a good 140 pages Motherwell related 

Interesting as well that in 1998 Owen Coyle was the other contender for the manager along with wee Billy 

On the subject of Gascoigne/Cooper also , two great players in Scottish football, Gazza was indeed done in 2000 and would have been a costly mistake 

Definetly biased towards the Coop though for obvious reasons 

1 hour ago, Yabba's Turd said:

He's no Cooper, but he's up there

Was just about to post Gascoigne isn't even the best Rangers player I've seen. He was a fantastic player, of course, but Cooper at his peak would edge it for me.