10 players you forgot played for us

SteelmaninOZ

14 minutes ago, Kris-A-Goalda said:

That was the game v Aberdeen where Jim Leighton got attacked by the fan?

The same season but not the same game. It was Woods in goal for us that day, he saved a last minute penalty only for them to score the rebound and win 2-1. It was after that goal that Leighton was attacked.

The game Scott Thomson played also finished 2-1 to Aberdeen but it was the last game of that season.

Here's a question. Has any of these players actually left us and gone on to do anything of note since?

Casper Sloth is one that will always stick in my mind.

He arrived here with 8 Denmark caps, and having played for Leeds, AaB and Silkeborg. Playing regularly for the latter two teams before arriving in Motherwell.

Then he does absolutely nothing, leaves after seven months, signs for Notts County that summer and is there for two months, before signing for Helsingør where he sticks around for eight months, before finally washing up at Stjarnan where he leaves after 15 months and has been without a club since January last year.

Number of competitive games played since he was at Motherwell? Seven in total.

Lewis Grabban. Always remember watching him training at half time while he was on loan and thought he looked decent. Never really got a chance though.

He went on to have a very decent career. Banged in quite a few championship goals and a couple of multi-million £ moves if memory serves me correctly.

3 hours ago, MJC said:

The same season but not the same game. It was Woods in goal for us that day, he saved a last minute penalty only for them to score the rebound and win 2-1. It was after that goal that Leighton was attacked.

The game Scott Thomson played also finished 2-1 to Aberdeen but it was the last game of that season.

Remember this Scott Thomson game , I took both a Rangers fan and a Celtic fan to Fir Park , friends at school in the Cooper Stand .  Was the day Celtic stopped 10 in a row

Both listening to headsets of course , and I was on the park at full time with many others

I actually got hit on the side of the head by Tommy Coyne’s Boots when he threw them to a fan ,  last game 

Looking back I remember being well chuffed I got so close to the legend that was TC 

Edited by twistandshout1983

16 hours ago, weeyin said:

Nicky Devlin's career turned around after leaving us for a spell in the lower leagues. 

I read that Gordon Young's book earlier in the year and he spoke about him. We had really high hopes that he would progress into the first team but just as he was on the cusp of doing so he suffered a horrible injury. Fair play to the guy for working his way back, not the best penalty taker though. It was also interesting in that book the amount of highly rated young talents we lose at a younger age.

1 hour ago, twistandshout1983 said:

Two of McLeish’s last signings if I remember right , again moved on pretty quickly 

McLeish spent all that summer, or so it seemed anyway, trying to sign the two of them and I think they were both gone by the end of September. 

9 hours ago, MJC said:

McLeish spent all that summer, or so it seemed anyway, trying to sign the two of them and I think they were both gone by the end of September. 

Apparently, they both enjoyed a daily dram after training much to the annoyance of McLeish. We also seemed to be in a dispute with their former club for months before Fifa decided they had to return to the previous club, then a short time later they both signed for Darlington in the old English Third Division. I actually thought Resch looked fairly decent, Dorner not so much.

I still can't believe the career McLeish enjoyed in management, took every penny and more from the Phil O'Donnell transfer and signed some real duds.

• Like 1

He was a very limited manager who always seemed to benefit from a lot of luck, money and being in the right job at the right time. 

An absolute darling of the Scottish media mind you who would never utter a bad word about him.

Some of his signings for us were horrific given the money he had to spend at the time. John ‘Klinsmann’ Hendry, Andy Roddie, Eliphas Shivute, Gunnar(sp) Jonsson, the centre half who played in and gave away the penalty in the above mentioned 2-1 Aberdeen loss then was never seen again. And there were lots more.

• Like 1