Cup game Motherwell v East Fife 29/07/2023

SteelmaninOZ

9 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

All in all a good day. We won 3-0; won the group; gained an unexpected seeded spot; and gave younsters more game time.  SK & SF can be satisified tonight. We controlled most of the game and never looked in danger except for a very brief spell just before we scored the opener. It might seem odd having scored 3 goals but I thought that we were a bit toothless up front and lacked penetration - not surprising though given our lack of strikers.  Most of our moves were frustrating - with some really good leading up play but the final ball being an inch or two out or defenders making last ditch interventions. We're getting there though. 

Oxborough had very little to do although I'd liked to have seen more of how he deals with high balls - the tiniest of question marks there. Souare looked good and I was very impressed with Paton - possibly the best he's played. Got wired in, very mobile and showed energy. Good to see young Miller have a good game and score the opener although I thought he sclaffed it. A fine passer of the ball. Slattery is getting back to his old self. Davos Z looked promising and put himself about well. Definitely looks promising but we'll see how he fares against bigger, nastier and better opponents. 

Thought the ref had a poor game  - with inconsistent calls on fouls and he seemed to take an instant dislike to Bevis in his duels with our old acquaintance Nathan Austin. The lack of added on time was absurd. I would have expected 5 or 6 minutes given the injuries and subs. What if we'd been chasing one more goal in an effort to secure a seeded spot?

Hopefully Wilkinson's injury isn't serious.  

A point I made to several of my fellow fans as we left yesterday. At that point we were one goal behind Ayr and out of the seeded positions. Injury time goals in two other matches have affected the standings, Ross County were winning 3-2 at 90 minutes and lost an equaliser in the 93rd minute (good for us as we got their seeded place), and Hamilton equalised in the 96th minute which meant, despite loosing the shoot out, they finished second in the group instead of Cove Rangers, potentially preventing Cove from progressing to the knockout stages.. There was an interview with an English (I think) refereeing supervisor at the end of last season when he was asked about the amount of added time due to VAR and his answer was pretty much that, you don't know how a goal may affect other teams in a league scenario.

Bottom line is Clancy just isn't very good.

1 hour ago, grumpy said:

Bottom line is Clancy just isn't very good.

The match timing should be taken away from the ref, a separate official time keeper in the stands who stops the clock for injuries, substitutions and any other incidents etc, that would ensure we get the regulation 45 mins of actual play each half, would also put a stop to time wasting etc.

• Like 2

The time added on, or not in this case, requires an answer for all the reasons discussed above. It hasnt adversely effected us on this occasion, but it could in the future. The authorities shouldnt be allowed to gloss over that.

Also, why is the Dundee v Raith game being allowed to be played today? Again its not effecting things on this occasion, but it could have provided one of those sides with a sporting advantage by knowing exactly what they need to do to qualify/be seeded.

I know Viaplay will have an input, but its generally accepted in other competitions that it cant happen.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, steelboy said:

It is effecting things. Dundee know how many goals they have to win by. 

I meant in respect of winning the group and seedings. But, yes, the 2nd place teams certainly have a beef.

And of course its Inverness they play not Raith. My bad.......

25 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

St Mirren away in next round. Probably the toughest draw we could have got. 

It's not the OF, Hearts or aberdeen away, which is all seeding is good for, so I'll take it, then enjoy airdrie in the next round.

3 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

Get yer money on Mandron to score, certainty 😜😜

and the st midden fans will be saying " get yer money on obika to score"   we are all fickle fitbaw fans going for the reverse phsycology hoping both have total shitemares

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

St Mirren away in next round. Probably the toughest draw we could have got. 

I think is an excellent draw ……… nice easy away day (travel wise) and with the first two league fixtures will show exactly the way our season is going to pan out 

oh an a Mandron wonder goal 🤪

On 7/29/2023 at 5:15 PM, steelboy said:

Big Wilkinson is doing a good of making signing the St Johnstone dud a no bad idea. 

He's hopeless. He doesn't make any runs but is still somehow constantly offside. 

Are you ever happy about anything in your life ?

• Haha 1