Cup game Motherwell v East Fife 29/07/2023

SteelmaninOZ

I would expect a full strength team as close to the Dundee starting 11 as SK can get.

Hope to get the job done early and start to give other players minutes around the 60 minute mark.

At least 1 more new face in the door by then (thats me speculating, not ITK!)

4-0 Motherwell, Obika hat trick (he will obviously need about 10 chances and at least one of them will be off his arse.)

1 hour ago, joewarkfanclub said:

I would expect a full strength team as close to the Dundee starting 11 as SK can get.

Hope to get the job done early and start to give other players minutes around the 60 minute mark.

At least 1 more new face in the door by then (thats me speculating, not ITK!)

4-0 Motherwell, Obika hat trick (he will obviously need about 10 chances and at least one of them will be off his arse.)

At least he’s versatile, he can score with his right or left arse cheek. 

• Haha 1

Goalie and back 3 pick themselves.  SOD rwb.  Lwb maybe give Wilson a chance or might even be McGinley.  3 midfield I think Slattery Spittal and maybe Paton, rest miller for Dundee game.  Obika and Wilkinson up front.

One thing though which I hope doesn't affect guys on this forum but let's make sure all players get encouraged and none of this booing nonsense.  If you don't rate a player then booing hardly going to help them.   The only booing that should be heard on Saturday is from my mates when I crack another pun 🤣🤣.  COYW 

6 minutes ago, twistandshout1983 said:

After tonight’s results a draw should  see us through 

Much prefer an easy win of course, and sure we will

We need to be aiming for the seeded spots.

Airdrie, Forfar, Ross County and Kilmarnock are all on max points so far. Airdrie have one game vs Bonnyrigg, Forfar have St Mirren and County and Killie both have two games left. We need two of them drop points plus us getting a better result than Accies and Ayr.

O'Donnell and Obika are both a doubt for the weekend according to the recently posted social about the match.

On the seeding front, obviously it would be great to miss the Old Firm at this stage but Airdrie and Forfar could pip us to the final seeding spots and we could potentially draw them or if they slip up and we end up seeded if we win our game it can throw up the same potential ties. So I'm not too fussed either way.

I'd much rather everyone was just fired into the same pot, the clubs in Europe get to miss the group stages for the aforementioned reasons but they're like one tie away from already being in the Quarters.

2 hours ago, pretzel said:

O'Donnell and Obika are both a doubt for the weekend according to the recently posted social about the match.

On the seeding front, obviously it would be great to miss the Old Firm at this stage but Airdrie and Forfar could pip us to the final seeding spots and we could potentially draw them or if they slip up and we end up seeded if we win our game it can throw up the same potential ties. So I'm not too fussed either way.

I'd much rather everyone was just fired into the same pot, the clubs in Europe get to miss the group stages for the aforementioned reasons but they're like one tie away from already being in the Quarters.

The seeding is for one reason only, ie to make sure the ugly sisters don't get drawn against each other, before the semi finals at least. 

The whole format for the league cup is nonsense, it should be back to a standard cup draw, no seedings and spread the games out over the season.

18 hours ago, pretzel said:

Us drawing Airdrie give me the fear as they would almost certainly beat us.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, bobbybingo said:

Maybe it's just me, but he doesn't seem totally convinced about Efford's injury problems.

Its not just you. 

SK picks his words carefully.

Maybe Efford is one of those players who has been told he isnt going to feature much.

9 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Its not just you. 

SK picks his words carefully.

Maybe Efford is one of those players who has been told he isnt going to feature much.

I'm sure Efford was listed as being out of contract at the end of last season, but the website now says his deal ends May 2024. If it was recently extended you'd have to think he was in Kettlewell's plans at that point, and he got game time in Holland. The interview came across as Efford not believing he's fit and the manager not believing he isn't. Sounded more scunnered than sympathetic.

1 hour ago, bobbybingo said:

I'm sure Efford was listed as being out of contract at the end of last season, but the website now says his deal ends May 2024. If it was recently extended you'd have to think he was in Kettlewell's plans at that point, and he got game time in Holland. The interview came across as Efford not believing he's fit and the manager not believing he isn't. Sounded more scunnered than sympathetic.

I agree.

The tone came across very much that Joe just doesnt fancy it.

I think he always had a year left on his deal. I dont remember him getting an extension.

Sheilds got game time in Holland and he is away 

Fits very much with SK's "They are our contracted players and I will continue to work with them" attitude. Until of course they are not our players.

He also dropped hints that certain players didnt fit his style of play. Given his apparent preference for 3-5-2 you would struggle to see where Efford fits into that.

Whether thats the case or not and whether thats linked to this latest "injury" is obviously pure speculation, but it passes the time! 😉

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

I agree.

The tone came across very much that Joe just doesnt fancy it.

I think he always had a year left on his deal. I dont remember him getting an extension.

Sheilds got game time in Holland and he is away 

Fits very much with SK's "They are our contracted players and I will continue to work with them" attitude. Until of course they are not our players.

He also dropped hints that certain players didnt fit his style of play. Given his apparent preference for 3-5-2 you would struggle to see where Efford fits into that.

Whether thats the case or not and whether thats linked to this latest "injury" is obviously pure speculation, but it passes the time! 😉

Just checked back to when Efford signed in Jan 22. Official website said he was contracted to May 23. Same thing happened with O'Donnell, another year added to his deal but no announcement made by the club as far as I can see.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bobbybingo said:

Maybe it's just me, but he doesn't seem totally convinced about Efford's injury problems.

Personally, I didn't get that from what he said or how he said it. He sounded frustrated for sure, but I think that's more to do with the situation than anything else. And Efford is likely just as frustrated. 

No player wants to be sitting on the sidelines.