Kilmarnock v Motherwell 04/11/2023

SteelmaninOZ

18 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

You just want us to aim a bit higher than simply finishing 11th every season and not exit every cup competition early? Ok.

Yes, I would.

I’ll only quote that part because the rest of your post is long, however it’s a good post which I won’t and indeed can’t really argue with.

What I would say though is that in regards to Clarke at Killie and now McInnes, Clarke didn’t win a trophy with them and McInnes probably won’t either, but in Clarke’s case he instilled a winning mentality where they weren’t cowed or fearful of any side. That showed in their record against both OF clubs in the league during his tenure there. McInnes hasn’t taken them to the heights that Clarke did so far and it’s unlikely that he will but he’s already overseen an Old Firm double in just a few weeks this season. Again, could we have done that? I don’t think so. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MJC said:

Yes, I would.

I’ll only quote that part because the rest of your post is long, however it’s a good post which I won’t and indeed can’t really argue with.

What I would say though is that in regards to Clarke at Killie and now McInnes, Clarke didn’t win a trophy with them and McInnes probably won’t either, but in Clarke’s case he instilled a winning mentality where they weren’t cowed or fearful of any side. That showed in their record against both OF clubs in the league during his tenure there. McInnes hasn’t taken them to the heights that Clarke did so far and it’s unlikely that he will but he’s already overseen an Old Firm double in just a few weeks this season. Again, could we have done that? I don’t think so. 

I know our pathetic record against the Old Firm is a bug bear of yours and I don't disagree with you at all - like any fan of a certain age, I was used to us beating the pair of them at least once most seasons and would love to get back to that.  How we do it, I don't know. We can't blame any specific person for instilling a defeatest attitude, given the turnover of players and managers. Although, I did see someone saying we'd never beat either of them again..... 😄

21 hours ago, bobbybingo said:

I know our pathetic record against the Old Firm is a bug bear of yours and I don't disagree with you at all - like any fan of a certain age, I was used to us beating the pair of them at least once most seasons and would love to get back to that.  How we do it, I don't know. We can't blame any specific person for instilling a defeatest attitude, given the turnover of players and managers. Although, I did see someone saying we'd never beat either of them again..... 😄

Yes that’s true I did say that and I don’t see any reason to believe otherwise. Unlike the players, the coaching staff and those higher up in the club I am not in a position to be able to properly influence and affect results.

The reason I don’t think we’ll ever beat either of them again is because we have the wrong mentality that runs right through the club nowadays which basically shrugs off these games and dismisses them because “we can’t compete with their budgets”. And while that bit is undoubtedly true we are no different to every other non OF side in that regard, yet Killie, St,Johnstone, Livingston, Ross County, Dundee Utd, St.Mirren and Accies have all managed to beat one or both of them since we last managed it.

But sadly “we’re just a wee club punching way above our weight” and as long as we don’t get relegated and continue to “exist to improve people’s lives” then all is good and we should just be grateful eh?

12 minutes ago, MJC said:

Yes that’s true I did say that and I don’t see any reason to believe otherwise. Unlike the players, the coaching staff and those higher up in the club I am not in a position to be able to properly influence and affect results.

The reason I don’t think we’ll ever beat either of them again is because we have the wrong mentality that runs right through the club nowadays which basically shrugs off these games and dismisses them because “we can’t compete with their budgets”. And while that bit is undoubtedly true we are no different to every other non OF side in that regard, yet Killie, St,Johnstone, Livingston, Ross County, Dundee Utd, St.Mirren and Accies have all managed to beat one or both of them since we last managed it.

But sadly “we’re just a wee club punching way above our weight” and as long as we don’t get relegated and continue to “exist to improve people’s lives” then all is good and we should just be grateful eh?

I think we've been right where we belong for the past 30 odd years. In the top division, sometimes up, sometimes down, reaching cup finals, (very) occasionally winning a trophy and qualifying for Europe on a semi regular basis. There's nothing in our history that suggests we're punching above our weight, nor that we should be doing a lot better.

Motherwell FC has improved my life for nearly 50 years and my dad's for a lot longer. It's still the main topic of conversation every time we go for a drink - hopefully next week we'll be toasting a couple of wins.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, bobbybingo said:

Motherwell FC has improved my life for nearly 50 years and my dad's for a lot longer. It's still the main topic of conversation every time we go for a drink - hopefully next week we'll be toasting a couple of wins.

I’m a wee bit younger than you by the sounds of it but inspite of how some of my posts may sound at times I’m exactly the same. I genuinely couldn’t imagine life without supporting Motherwell FC and like you whenever I meet my dad for a beer it’s one of the main topics. They frustrate the shite out of me more often than not but outwith family and friends the club is the one constant in life for me and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, MJC said:

I’m a wee bit younger than you by the sounds of it but inspite of how some of my posts may sound at times I’m exactly the same. I genuinely couldn’t imagine life without supporting Motherwell FC and like you whenever I meet my dad for a beer it’s one of the main topics. They frustrate the shite out of me more often than not but outwith family and friends the club is the one constant in life for me and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

I'd bet just about everyone on here could tell a similar story. We all want the best for our team, and they'll always be our team, whatever happens.