How I Became A Well Fan

Well Up For It!

How I Became A Well Fan  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Are you from a Well supporting background?

• Nope - fans of another team
    • Aye
  2. 2. If no - what team does your family support?

• Rangers
    • Celtic
    • Other SPL
    • Other non-SPL

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funnily enough my Dad is a Ger but my Mum and Grandpa were Well fans. All my mates at primary school were Well fans so that probably swung it for me.

My first game at Fir Park was against St Johnstone and we won 3 nil (I think). They had just been promoted and I remember Luc Nijholt warming up in front of the Davie Cooper end terracing during the game.

i didn't really get the bug until I got my first season ticket at 16. I've been going on and off ever since.

Born in Motherwell, the Airbles Road hospital, into a Motherwell family, never any question. And my kids are the same although they had to be born in Bellshill. In the blood. C&A is a dominant gene so they know any future spouse has no chance of taking over the future of this family. :blink:

Long-standing family connection. My Dad helped start Fir Park Boys Club in 1968 (the year I was born). My mum worked in the office for over 20 years until she retired.

Not much choice really, but I have never thought about supporting anybody else.

Luckily, my son is exactly the same, Motherwell daft and has been a ball-boy for the last 4 seasons.

Unfortunately, my daughter has no interest in football, but she's only 9 so there's still time.

Pretty standard story from me. My dad was always a 'Well fan, in a family mixed between Dossers and h**s, and he made damn sure I knew exactly what I was before I went to school.

The first place I lived was Cleland - my mum was Catholic and my dad was Prodestant - and the small town mentality is still alive and well and my dad often got a bit of hassle when he went for a quiet pint in the local pub, so I think that added to the determination on both my parents' parts that I wouldn't grow up to be someone of that mindset, regardless of what type of school they chose to send me to.

I think that's why I strongly feel that being a Dosser isn't just about what colour scarf you wear to the football - it's a mindset and a way of life. I also live safe in the knowledge that however well (or otherwise) MFC do over the years ahead, we will always, ALWAYS, be better than them.

Frazzle

Born under a Well flag (Motherwell Maternity), although my Dad Was/Is of the Wankgers persuasion . He took me to Fir Park when I was about 5, but apparently I was more interested in standing down the front and speaking to the Police than I was watching the footie. I was actually named after a then Wankgers player who is now a fat radio d.j.

Then a mate who is a regular on these here boards and his Well supporting Dad, started taking me with them when I was about 7, I caught the bug, even my Dad started going regularly for a while. Got my first season ticket at 14 had one ever since. Now my 8 year old and 4 year old also have season tickets and are both Motherwell daft.

When my dad was younger he used to play, but as a fan he didnt really have a team or an interest in watching football, and my mum absolutely DETESTED the game. Used to tag along with friends whenever I could so used to go along to Parkhead with a Celtic supporting mate and his dad, or to Ibrox with the guy that ran the boys club I played for, or more commonly to Brockville with my mate who's dad was the commercial manager at the time, so quite often got in for hee-haw. Actually used to love standing on the terracing there, although I never really felt any affilation with the team or the club. Same with anyone else I used to go see....I just loved footy as a kid and took whatever chance I could get to go and see a game, regardless of who it was.

Strangely one of my best and earliest memories in football was going to see Hearts v Aberdeen on a Hearts supporters bus from Stirling when my Uncle Jimmy was assistant manager. Weirdly enough I kinda liked Aberdeen at the time (early 80's...surprisingly enough), but I remember the feeling of being on the Hearts bus was just unbelievable. I must have been about 6 or 7 and i'd never experienced anything like it, the laughing and joking, the constant singing. I wasn't bothered about the team in the slightest, but regardless of the club it was where I learned the difference between watching footy and actually being a fan of a club involving any kind of passion and pride etc.

Around that time I discovered that my best pal at primary school was John Philliben's nephew, and so all of a sudden Motherwell games were the new ones that I had the chance to go to now and again, and for some reason when I went there I just felt some kinda connection with the place...something i'd never felt at Ibrox or Parkhead or Brockville or Annfield. I started to recognise the same feelings in me that i'd seen in the Hearts fans on the bus a couple of years before, and I just got hooked....although I never really got to go to games all that often.

Fast forward another few years and my mum and dad split up, and my dad moved abroad so I never saw him. I guess my mum was trying to find a way to bring me and her closer together and so when my birthday rolled round she asked if i'd like to go to a game. Bearing in mind my mum's dislike of the game as a whole I couldnt believe it and I jumped at the chance! It was against Falkirk ironically enough, and we sat in the East Stand. I can't actually remember how the game panned out, but I do remember my mum saying afterwards that it wasn't as bad as she expected it to be, and over the course of the season with much begging and pleading, she took me to a few more games. After that, the bug bit her too...and we have pretty much been every week, home and away, since the 94/95 season, and for someone who hated the sport so much in the past...on occasion if I havent been able to make a saturday my mum has gone on her own to places like Rugby Park, Dens...just because she hasn't wanted to miss a game!

For me, going to Fir Park and following Motherwell all over the country is as much about the closeness between me and my mum that developed after my dad left as it is about the game itself, and the 2 will always be linked. I've met a few folk from here through going to games, and i'll always stop for a natter if I see them...but I never sit with them. Not through ignorance or anything like that, just I go to football with my mum. Thats what we do. It's our thing, and over the years we've stood freezing on the terracing at Boghead, watched Tommy Coyne score a backheel volley at Dunfermline on the opening day, paid 2 pound and got a cinema ticket to stand on terracing at Dens park, right up to standing on our seats at a Hampden cup final during the Butcher years, and seeing the team that in the past we had watched getting absolutely pumped in the pouring rain all over the country...up there in a draw with names like AC Milan and Bayern Munich and Ajax earlier this year!!!

It's just probably the best feeling in the world, and I guess you could say that theres a strange case of the club finding us, as much as us finding the club. Wouldnt change anything about it for the world.

Some great strories here....

It's amazing how many fans are not from a Motherwell supporting background and throught one reason or another have chosen to follow the 'Well. Decided to add a poll just to get an actual breakdown of these ere boards!

Was wondering if anyone could give me details on my first game. It was against Hamilton and we won - that's all I know. I think it was 20years ago this week just now - March or April 1989. Would love to know the score and scorers if possible?

EDIT: Can a mod please fix the poll?? Fucked it up!

Edited by SCDave
Fixed - Dave

anybody want to own up to sireing a h*n or a tim?

Fairly confident that's not going to happen, but as my 6 year old starts training with Yeovil Town he's still to decide if there's a team he'll support.

Although some of his wardrobe is claret & amber there's no hard sell and because his attention span is next to nil I've yet to let him experience the rollercoaster that is 'Well whenever he's in Scotland. Honestly can't imagine him sitting down in the East Stand for the required 45 minutes!

Won't even complain if it's one of the London teams as fans were regularly seen travelling into London from Dorset, but as long as it's not Manure the decision will be his.

No idea about my grandfather but my Father, (rest his soul), was a 'Well fan, although like most kids in Shotts he had a soft spot for Rangers in his pre-teen days apparently.

However, we moved to Manse Road before I was a year old. Not sure what my 1st 'Well game was, but Now that Your Gone by Freda Pane could be clearly heard from the FP tannoy most weeks, (late 60's), and was the signal to head up to FP. Dad used to lift me over the turnstyle at the south end of the Main Stand.

Don't have any offspring myself, but living next to Artur Numan my 6yr old nephew was in danger of becoming a current bun, so intervention was swift and precise. 7 years later he now has a signed 'Well shirt on his wall, (the nephew that is), a season ticket in the East Stand and a Saturday Service screensave on his mobi :blink:

My Dad I suppose is technically a Dumbarton fan (his home town) but used to just go to watch good games of football until my folks moved to Motherwell when I was 1. My dad started taking me to see them when I was around 5. We won promation around that time (1984/85ish).

Never looked back. I would say my Dad still supports Motherwell but he no loger goes to games and hasn't done since about 1994 (We moved away from the area, then my folks moved even further away).

I still go to most home games and away games within reasonable travlelling distance (EG not Aberdeen/Inverness/Dundee).

Was a Mascot against Albion Rovers in the cup mid-late eighties (well, definitely pre 1991).

Seeing as the poll wasn't up when I first posted I'll add an amendment.

I don't really fit into any of the options in the poll, my Dad was from Fife and didn't bother with football. My Mum is from Motherwell but her Mum was from Ayrshire so of my four grandparents, only one was from this area and he died before I was born, so I didn't have any family influencing my choice of team. I went with my brother to games and it didn't occur to me to support anyone other than my local team.

We went all over the country following the 'Well in the late seventies and early eighties but after he moved to Manchester with his work for a while, we got out of the habit of going so it became an occasional game rather than an obsession for me. It was only when I had kids of my own and I was determined that they wouldn't be influenced by peer pressure to be old scum fans that I started going back to games with them in tow. The oldest doesn't really bother now, although she is still nominally a 'Well fan, but the younger one loved it so I got us season tickets and we still go every week. She is now old enough to head off to away games without me so she goes to even more games than I do. It reminds me of when my brother and I started going to away games.

Ah, the circle of life. :lol:

Great topic this :blink:

Neither my dad or either of my grandfathers had any interest in football.

I did a have three uncles though that all supported different teams, Rangers, Motherwell and Accies. I got taken along to all three stadiums but I was more interested in playing football at that stage. I also went through a kids phase of getting a football strip for my birthday I really liked and then supporting that team for the season (Aberdeen, Dundee, Watford etc)!

I only really got into going to games when I was old enough to go myself (about 12 or so) and as the local team, it had to be Motherwell - less bus fare from my pocket money!

Started coming a long on a semi regular basis about '86 (when beating Dundee Utd or Aberdeen was like beating Barcelona or something, don't laugh younger fans) and I've not missed many home games since '88.

Old Man's family are 'Well fans. My Auld dears side are Celtic fans, although she moved away from them after the fans came back out of the woodwork in the mid to late 90's. Was only ever one choice for me (was it a choice). It will be the same with my 9 month old, although my missus (his mother) is a Spurs fan so no real danger tbh

"Why Motherwell?" is a question I've been asked countless times, mostly in my youth granted. Living in Chapelhall and therefore going to school in Airdrie with a squad of Section B wannabees the knowledge that there was a Motherwell fan in their midst caused a bit of incomprehension. Occasionally followed by abuse......

The short and simple story for me is that my old man supported Motherwell and he took me to my first 'Well game when I was four - away to St Mirren in the Anglo Scottish Cup/Texaco Cup apparently.

But it could it have been a whole lot different.

My grandfather was actually a Thistle fan who hailed from East Kilbride. When Thistle weren't at home he'd take in either a Motherwell or Hamilton game depending upon who was at home.

It was purely by chance that when he decided to take my old man with him that both Thistle and Accies were away and Motherwell were at home that day.

I don't know what age my Dad would would have been then or what attracted him to Motherwell, but Motherwell became his team and very quickly mine too.

Good work Da!

Pretty much my whole family are either Well fans or not interested in football. Was born in Lanark and spent my early days in Motherwell/Wishaw but moved up to bandit country and grew up with the sheep from the age of about 2/3.

My dad kept me on the straight and narrow and I resisted the temptation to follow the sheep or rangers like everyone else up north and stuck to the Well. It paid off and watching the 91 cup final on tv was the payoff.

Didn't get to actually go to a match until much later on and my first game at Fir Park was against Dundee United as a teenager in the 90's. I did get to see the Well play my local team, Forres Mechanics in a pre-season friendly which was a leisurely stroll for the boys in C & A.

By this point I was known as the only Motherwell fan in school, some said the world! In fact, upon our school exchange trip to Germany my teacher remarked on my Well shirt (The Fruit Salad/Jester effort of the mid 90's) as the only way we'd get Motherwell in Europe (who's laughing now Jambo :notworthy: ).

Upon finally moving to Edinburgh in 2004, the first thing I did was buy a season ticket and I've not looked back since!

Born in Motherwell, the Airbles Road hospital, into a Motherwell family, never any question. And my kids are the same although they had to be born in Bellshill. In the blood. C&A is a dominant gene so they know any future spouse has no chance of taking over the future of this family. :nod:

That sums it up nicely for me. You saved me from typing it out. :notworthy:

EDIT: FWIW the poll won't let me vote. I selected "Aye" in the first part but it seems to be a wee bit humpty because I've not selected anything in the second part (it's not relevant if you select "Aye" in the first part).

Born and bred in Edinburgh to a 'Well mum and Jambo dad choices had to be made. when we were old enough my dad took my brother,sister and i to tynecastle quite frequently as well as a few to easter road ( my dads bro was a hibby) and I wasn't impressed ,unlike my siblings who became Jambos. On one of our visits to Motherwell to see my gran my mums brother ,also a 'Well fan said he would take me and my dad to Fir Park for a reserve game, so we went and that was that . I was raving about seeing my team winning 6-2 against East Fife ,my dad kept on about it only being a reserve game and I said "it's not just a reserve game dad, it was my team a Motherwell reserve game"

I had to endure several attempts to lure me to the jambos including having to stand/sit on my dads shoulders at Haymarket waiting for "them" to bring the cup through Edinburgh and being bored to tears ................. that was 1955/6

Now 50 odd years later my kids aged 16 and 14 (nearly 15) born and bred in Edinburgh are both staunch 'Well fans , my son (the younger one) is on these boards as 'Wellfan 2k7..... :notworthy::nod::nod:

It was my Papa who took me along to football matches (first game was v Coventry 1992) , he was a Rangers supporter but in his defence basically gave me the choice by taking me to Fir Park one week and Ibrox the next.

1995/96 I got my first season ticket at FP and the way the fixtures worked out I still was going to Fir Park one week and Ibrox the other.

First time I had to make a choice was at the end of the 1996-97 season when Motherwell travelled to Ibrox , in desperate need of a result while Rangers needed three points to wrap up 9 in a row at home.

I was asked what end I wanted to go in and I asked to sit in the Motherwell end - I even think my Papa celebrated the second Motherwell goal that day. It was proper underdog stuff.

The Rangers fans attacked the bus with anything they could get their hands on that day and I think that along with a brilliant Motherwell win let me see the light.

After that I was hooked on all things Motherwell and still I am lucky enough to be able to go to most home and away games.

Suppose I could say I got to take a look at the dark side and realised there was only one team for me!

Mon The Well!

Motherwell born and bred, My dad used to lift me over the terracing when I was younger, when he couldn't take me and because I was from Muirhouse I would run up to away end and ask the away fans to lift me over the turnstyle! This was the days when they'd open the gates in east stand so you could walk through!

Now got 4 boys myself so hopefully they'll support the Well took my 7 year old a few times and the 5 year old once, but its expensive! They all got Well strips and 2 of them go to the coaching skools

Only a friendly steer in the right direction but they can make there own choice as long as its not Celtic or Rangers and especially not Airdrie, oh and add Hearts and Hamilton to that list :notworthy: