Rangers And St Mirren

orange county dosser

so for a top 6 place its down to these 2 games.

Hibs also play these 2 in the last 2 games before the split .

so the question is .....

....can we get a better result against these 2 than Hibs can against the same 2 teams ??

it a tough call, and to be honest I'm not all that confident !!

They will go in knowing our result, but if they need to beat Rangers to make the top six it'll be a tough ask. Maybe playing first could be to our advantage.

Rangers should beat us both. St Mirren is tougher to call as we at home they away and both of us tend to struggle against them. I can see us getting three points and Hibs only one or maybe two. Hibs win next week and we have to chase goals v St Mirren and I'll be concerned.

If we can get a point next Saturday, the pressure on Hibs in their Monday-night game in Paisley would be huge. And, given Saint Mirren could be bottom by then, their needs would be massive also and being at home that'd surely given them an advantage. I know we have them the following week, but they are clearly far worse on their travels than at home. With Hibs last game before the split at home to Rangers, I still feel we have the upper hand just now. I think if Rangers are playing as poorly as they have been they'd rather be away from home right now. I honestly feel we still have the edge and, even if we lost on Saturday and they win at Paisley, long as we don't go down by many it could still be all to play for the following week. Season most defintely not over by any means.

For the rangers game just stick eleven men behind the ball and hoof it at every opportunity.

With st mirren, stick clarkson murphy jim obrien john sutton all upfront and absolutely hammer them. Our goal difference is only out by two, so like someone said before, fingers crossed atleast if we lose at ibrox it will only be by one.

To be honest I think St Mirren in Paisley is a harder game for hibs than Rangers at easter road.

The St Mirren V Hibs game is huge for us. Huge. You can see Hibs perhaps drawing there although they should win. You could also see them easily getting at least a point at home to a dire Rangers side. Unfortunately we have Rangers at our worst away ground in the history of the world. Nothing other than at least a 2-0 win to Rangers is going to be the outcome there. So we need to beat St Mirren but by then Hibs may already have it secured by winning at SMP the Monday before.

We blew it yesterday, the margins for error and success in this league are so tight that the two points dropped yesterday have us working out permutations and possibilities. If we stuck the ball in the pokey just one other time yesterday we we would practically have the top 6 secured under our own steam.

Huge fuck up yesterday. Absolutely huge.

Beating Aberdeen yesterday was never going to be a forgone conclusion. I thought they were poor and we should've had the game sewn up long before their only real effort on goal but this is Motherwell and sadly I/we've seen it all before.

If we don't make the top 6 then it won't be down to yesterdays draw, the 0-0 with Killie 2 weeks ago was a great opportunity considering they still haven't won a league game in 2009, but more the other poor results we've had before Christmas. We took 1 point from 21 on that run. Even a shitey 4 or 7 from 21 would probably be enough to see us there.

That said, this is a fantastic run this year, with a little more composure in front of goal or a bit more quality where it counts then I think we have the makings of a really good team. Hopefully whatever happens, we will be able to keep a hold of the main men (McGhee, Klimpl, Hughes) for next season.

For the rangers game just stick eleven men behind the ball and hoof it at every opportunity.
We don't have players that can handle those kinds of tactics.

4-3-3, get at them from kick-off. We have an appalling record against this shower and we might as well try and fix it by playing the tactics we practise every week. Any time we try a new formation the players look lost.

Rangers looked like they could hardly pass water today never mind the ball. Put in a performance like that on Saturday and surely we can get something from a side lacking in just about everything right now.

I think we have the makings of a really good team. Hopefully whatever happens, we will be able to keep a hold of the main men (McGhee, Klimpl, Hughes) for next season.

I have heard on the grapevine more than once that definately two of them will only stay if we get Europe. I would bank on it being a third too...

Say goodbye to Hughes at least.

Rangers looked like they could hardly pass water today never mind the ball. Put in a performance like that on Saturday and surely we can get something from a side lacking in just about everything right now.

déjà vu... :lol:

This kind of scenario makes the split worth it.... almost

These next 2 games come into the VERY important category and so far this season in every such game we've been pish i.e. The Nancy (home) game in EUFA cup. Accies(home) game in league cup. The St. Mirren (away) game in the Scottish cup. The Kilmarnock and Aberdeen MUST win games for a top 6 place. We've went on a good run not losing many games which has made us safe but we;ve not got enough in our locker for these CRUNCH games. So no way do i expect us to overtake Hibs and it's bottom 6 im afraid we lost our chance on saturday. We've done as well as we possibly can this season with the loss of Porter .Macormack and Lappin and replacing them with Sutton Sheridan and McGarry/Fitzpatrick. It's not rocket science that we're not as good as last season. I'd LOVE to be proved wrong. :mellow: .

I have heard on the grapevine more than once that definately two of them will only stay if we get Europe. I would bank on it being a third too...

Say goodbye to Hughes at least.

I've heard that Hughes has signed a pre contract with celtic but a dont think it wid be a good move.they've got 10 midfielders in that team and a dont think stephen wid make the starting 11 every week like he dis here.

How long has McGhees contract got to go? Another year after this season or is he out of contract at the end of this one?

I fully expect Hughes to leave, but like Porter, I feel it is better to have players of that calibre here for a couple of years than never have them at all.

Which two would that be? I honestly can't see us getting Europe this season. If we had beat Killie and Aberdeen then maybe, but now I sadly don't think we'll even get Top 6. Not that I expect that, but we're going to miss out by a whisker this year and end up playing 5 games with very little to motivate us.

That said, technically we're not mathematically safe........

I've no doubt whatsoever that Hughes and Smith will leave in the summer along with Malcolm. I;d also like to see Sutton,McGarry and Fitzpatrick leave too. We need a SERIOUS shakeup for next season as some of the football this season has been gumf. We're safe from relegation no doubts about that but im cringing already about the 'meaningless' 5 games in the bottom 6. Im afraid our chance of top 6 has gone and i honestly believe we're 2 strikers and 2 midfielders away from another crack at Europe. I just hope that in the close season MM has his mind fully focused on the rebuilding and not spending time wondering whether to leave or not. :thumbup:

Why are people so keen to write us off? OK, Hibs are the favourites at this point but I think we still have a 40 - 45% chance of making it.

For instance Hibs haven't beaten St.Mirren away from home since they came back up to the SPL.

30/09/06 St.Mirren 1 Hibs 0

04/04/07 St.Mirren 1 Hibs 1

05/10/08 St.Mirren 2 Hibs 1

01/11/08 St.Mirren 0 Hibs 0

If Hibs drop points against St.Mirren and we even only lose narrowly against Rangers (1-0, 2-1) I think we can go into the match with real hope of making the Top Six.