John Boyle’s

underboyleheating

If you even remotely give a toss about the greater good and scottish fitba as a whole then you should be fine with it. As it is a Well fan our club would likely be a net beneficiary.

it wouldn't matter to me how much we gained i still think it's wrong (i don't actually think we would gain much espcially if the league expanded). motherwell is our team and it's up to us to pay for it, not to expect fans of other clubs to subsidise us. can you imagine a team like gretna getting up with no fans and basically being able to survive by milking other teams fans.

football is expensive but right now fans can see that their clubs need the money, if gate receipts were split i think a lot of people would think "fuck that i'm not paying it."

I don't think splitting the gates equally would make too much difference without the Old Firm involved in the equation.

I don't know how much of a factor it was, when it was the done thing but perhaps those of that era would want to offer their recollections but whilst the Old Firm were still powerhouses in Scottish football you had the likes of Kilmarnock winning the league, Clyde, St Mirren, Falkirk, Dunfermline and Hearts winning the Cup and teams like Hibs, Dundee and Kilmarnock progressing in Europe along with both Rangers and Celtic.

That's why it always stuck in my throat whenever the Old Firm used to go on about a lack of competition in the league holding them back in Europe. They could have looked to reintroduce gone for a fair distribution of the tv rights or considered splitting the gates again but ofcourse it was just an attempt to blame someone else for their failings.

News of the World opinion on John Boyle's view on the SPL Setanta contract...

THIS week's pot-kettle award goes to John Boyle. As the speculation grew that Setanta were looking to renegotiate the terms of their SPL TV deal, the Motherwell chairman wasn't backward at coming forward. In a live radio interview Boyle said: "We have a legally binding contract with Setanta.

"They can't just walk away from that." Will this be the same guy who ripped up the contracts of 19 employees as he put Motherwell into administration a few years ago

Whether you agree with Boyle's or not, it's not the same situation at all. If Setanta go into administration, then they can be compared.

I do love it when tabloids turn sanctimonious, mind you. Thank goodness we have them to turn towards when we need a moral compass.

It's an Old Firm argument that fans of bigger clubs subsidise smaller clubs by sharing the gate proceeds. That's the way it was always done before they two got their heads together to milk most of the money from our game. If they don't have us to play against the have nothing therefore sharing the gates is reasonable. If they want to keep gate proceeds then can play wi' themselves. :unsure:

Sharing the money out should hopefully see more clubs playing on a level playing field, at least it would reduce the gap further. I'd have no problem 'subsidising' a smaller club in order to see them play at Fir Park, still happens in Cup-ties so it should do so in league games as well IMO