Get A Grip

Busta Nut

Just who do some of you think you support?

We've mostly struggled with Mid table wilderness/relegation since 1985 and one good season last year and we think we're AC Milan. We're miles away from relegation which is a success i reckon.

At the start of every season I hope we'll be 11th or higher. top six is a good season, anything else (last year) is a miracle.

Some people are so out of touch it's unreal. Threads about McGhee Going and the people who some posters honestly believe we have a hope in hell of signing are hilarious!

Not going to the last five games is stupid too, Unless its financial or you have another genuine reason for not going then why did you bother coming from the start? did you really expect some trophies or something?

get it sorted and get behind the team, I detest the happy clappy shit some folk give out but I'm no boo boy.

So get yerselfs along to Fir Park on the 2 last occasions before it's not up to you if you can go (cos there'll be fuck all on) and if you usually do get along to the away games!

'mon the 'well!

I was talking to John Robertson last week, he was asking what I thought about McGhee and Motherwell since his arrival.

I told him that we had improved dramatically since the days of Malpas and that some of the football we played at times this season and for most of last season was the best I had seen for a long time, maybe ever in the 28 years or so that I have been following the club.

As fans our expectations are way too high at times, interestingly John said the we were the most fickle, moaning faced fans in the league and that this was well known throughout Scottish Football. Something that I would now tend to agree with now.

Finishing 7th in the league is not a bad season for us albeit disapointing following the highs of last season.

You're absolutely spot on Busta. As Well Fans we all are entitled to be gutted that we missed out on the top 6, sickened by the performance on Saturday and have the right to question some of McGhee's quite baffling team selections and formations in crucial games but as always seems to be the case the over-reaction is ridiculous.

I remember posting on here about the expectations of a number of fans after we had beaten Celtic on the final day in 2005. The following season (Terry's last) and the season after that (I have erased the name of the manager from my memory) were disappointing but to look at how some people reacted you would have thought that we had won the SPL in 2005, when in all honesty that match only meant 3 points to us.

I'm bitterly disappointed in how this season has gone - we all set out with great hopes and expectations, from finishing third and playing some sizzling football last season we all harboured ambitions of closing the gap on the OF and looked forward to our European adventure this year. Sadly, not only has this season fallen way short of those expectations it has fallen way short of last year. The best thing is that having been bottom of the table at Christmas we turned things around to the extent that the top 6 was achievable at all - relegation looked more likely at the turn of the year.

The one thing I will take from this season was the totally brilliant trip to Nancy - if I never see Motherwell play in Europe again I will forever treasure the memories of those two days. It managed to make up for the shambolic ticketing process before we got there - which in itself took some doing - but so much of that trip is still as vivid today as it was back in September.

We are, after all, the Motherwell FC. And I wouldn't want us to be anything else.

Stuart.

Totally agree complete Busta, and well said!!

I'm sick fed up of these here boards being dominated with negatiove pish over our failure to make the top 6, yet if you had offered anyone a 7th place finish last season when McGhee was unknown to us we all would have bit your hand off!!

Yes I am gutted, completely and utterly, and not making the top six but some of the comments on the forums the last few days have been pathetic and makes me slightly embarrassed to call myself a 'Well fan when we have idiots like we do causing a hate campaign against McGhee and boycotting Fir Park!

Get a grip!

I was talking to John Robertson last week, he was asking what I thought about McGhee and Motherwell since his arrival.

Did you no ask the cheating bassa about punching the ball into the net at Swinecastle 15 years ago, and fact he still to this day claims he headed it in?!?!

Did you no ask the cheating bassa about punching the ball into the net at Swinecastle 15 years ago, and fact he still to this day claims he headed it in?!?!

Aw that John Robertson, I thought you meant the chain smoking good player one that played wi' Forest. :rolleyes:

He's a wee wank, widnae trust anything he says if he's still claiming he didnae handle that handball goal.

Well said! Im gutted we didnt make the top six, but its not stopping me from going to the last few games. If you support teams outwith the Old firm you've got to expect some dissapointment as Well fans we've had a lot but it makes the good times ie Nancy all the more better

Aye, well said, Busta.

I was dreading coming on here after being away the weekend cos I knew folk would be crawling out the woodwork and posting near hysterical rants about McGhee and the players.

Funny how the board is never as busy when we're doing well. I guess quite a few people would rather save up their posts and then go hell for leather when we don't do as well. Also bet a few of the anti-McGhee mob are delighted to have a wee chance to moan about the guy.

Saturday was the first home game I've missed this season, so I can't comment on Saturday's tactics specifically. However, all managers make tactical mistakes (Alex Ferguson made a mistake playing younger guys in an FA Cup semi-final for example, not tactical per se, but a mistake none the less) and so does Mark McGhee. They're only human for crying out loud. Nobody is perfect.

Personally I think McGhee's probably the best manager we've had in the 25 years I've been going to see Motherwell. As I said, he's made mistakes like any other manager, we've had a disappointment at the weekend, but that's what supporting Motherwell is all about - you take the good with the bad.

Some folk seemed to have got a bit carried away with last season, maybe it's kind of understandable, but we've lost important players so this season was always going to be tougher.

Does he? Despite TV footage to the contrary?

I just about wet myself whenever he comes out with a moan about cheating against whoever is daft to employ the cheating wee jambo. Not that I hold a grudge!

Anyway, we still won (I think).

yes we won 2-1 even thought a very young scott leitch was in the FHW squad!

oh 100% spot on Busta

Am I the only person who doesn't like being told how to support my team?

Although I agree with a lot of what has been said, why can't people accept that some people don't want to subscribe to their way of thinking?

As ludicrous as it is demanding McGee's head or not going to the post split fixtures is, they have every right to say and do these things.

If everyone sang from the same hymn sheet when it came to supporting Motherwell we wouldn't need this board for a start.

As far as us being the most fickle fans in Scottish Football well that's just the sort of bollocks I'd excpect to hear from someone like John Robertson.

Oh and I seem to remember us playing some oustanding stuff with the likes of Lambert, Coyne and Co in the team. Let's be honest here the free flowing football we were playing lasted for half a season at the most and this myth that we are some sort of fantastic footballing team is exactly that... a myth.

We are now a very average SPL side and McGee has a major job ahead of him this summer.

And others have every right to reply to their rants. What's your point, caller?

I thought my point was obvious. Everyone has a right to voice their opinion and people should stop trying to dictate how other people support the team. There's room for all of us at Fir Park, of that I am sure!

Guest 'Flow
Personally I think McGhee's probably the best manager we've had in the 25 years I've been going to see Motherwell.

I agree (albeit 20 years for me) and said as much to Peter and Shug at the Reserve game today! I'm sure if you threw that question out to the majority most would say Tom McLean but a lot of people look at Tam's reign with a bit of dewy eyed nostalgia because of the Cup win and the 93/94 season.

They forget we suffered more than a few bad seasons (relegation battles) with protests outside the ground etc when Tommy was here!

Other than that you have:

Maurice Malpas

Terry Butcher

Eric Black

Billy Davies

Harri Kampman

Alex McLeish

We all get upset and disappointed at the performances and I know I was after leaving FP on Saturday but after a couple of beers and calming myself down I realised I was more disappointed at falling at the final hurdle than us not actually making the top 6.

Who seriously thought in December that we'd have been so close to getting there though?

Back then I hoped we'd avoid relegation, McGhee's words proved right though that with a fully fit squad we could turn things around. We did that and probably had 3 good chances over the last 4 games to have secured a top 6 place but it wasn't to be.

A win against Killie, Aberdeen or St Mirren would've been enough with the way the results had gone those weekends but we couldn't take advantage so maybe the bottom 6 is where we deserve to be this season.

Given the problems we've had with pitch, injuries, losing players like Porter, McCormack, etc. I think the team has done very well not to be in a relegation battle. Sometimes people forget that we attract 5000 punters into our ground every week and I honestly think that the size of your crowd and subsequently a reasonable proportion of your revenue is a good indicator to the relative success you can expect on the pitch.

We over-achieved last season and that has led some people to expect that sort of standard then moan when they don't get it (h**s without the bus fare?). It gets right on my tits to sit in the DC and listen to people shouting abuse at their own team instead of getting behind them.

Don't know about anyone else but after the 96/97 season fiasco, I'd have taken survival last year and a top 6 this year. We exceeded anyones expectations last year and just missed out this season. I'm as disappointed as anyone but it's far from a disaster.

We over-achieved last season and that has led some people to expect that sort of standard then moan when they don't get it (h**s without the bus fare?). It gets right on my tits to sit in the DC and listen to people shouting abuse at their own team instead of getting behind them.

I don't think that's fair or accurate. The moaners are here every season. I've not seen any increase in crowds that would suggest we've suddenly acquired loads of glory hunters. If people want to moan then they'll moan, no matter what other people say. I don't like it either by the way!

...I've not seen any increase in crowds that would suggest we've suddenly acquired loads of glory hunters...

I never suggested there were. I'm aware that the moaners are always here. I was simply implying that given the success of last year, this year could be seen as a step backward giving people even more ammunition to greet and whine with. Had we finished 10th last year (not unreasonable given the previous season), this year could easily be seen as progression.

I also happen to think that we're a better team than at least 4 teams above us. The recurring theme this year has been to dominate a game in terms of possession but come away with a draw and that needs looked at.

I've been on the rollercoaster ride for over 40 years, experiencing some major lows, ( 0-6 at Morton and 0-8 at Aberdeen a short time later), and some major highs, (Hampden '91, Dortmund, Nancy, etc.,), and my major gripe for this season is the seemingly gutless manner in which we lay down and capitulated very important matches; Europe, League Cup, Scottish Cup and last Saturday's St Mirren game to name but a few.

Yes the team did well to recover from a bad phase, but Saturday was a major major let down with a Top-6 place there for the taking in a one-off fixture, and yes people will moan about it afterwards, it's human nature.

I've cheered on McCallum to Klimpl and hunners in between, and will continue to do so until I fail to draw breath. I'll applaud when it's due and I'll moan like fekk when it's deserving, and after last Saturday it's very deserving IMHO.