Bridgework Bus

garymfc

have just returned from working at portsmouth naval base,got talking to naval policeman who hails from watling street,he was a regular on the bus.i first went on bus in 79 away to st johnstone,we won 3-1.went on bus regularly after that,remember bus always being full and many times them running 2 buses.great away trips to aberdeen,stopping in forfar.going to play the jambos in the league cup winning 2-0,and getting the windows put in by the jambo scumbags.my dad worked in bridgeworks,he would go over to the social club and put my name on the list for the bus.i moved down south in 86.does anybody know when it stopped running buses.a lot of guys went to liz mullens muirhouse bus,when bridgework stopped.am going mental trying to remember when it stopped

I also used to travel on the "Lock yer shops, hide your beer the mental Bridgework boys are here" .............. Bus from 78 - 81(ish) with B.K. and Fatcalf, although it was a hell of a walk for me down from Knowetop, dodgy the Buns at the Brandon and the Tims at the Cross :thumbup: .

Think it was a Jim Walker who used to run it from the Social Club. Not sure precisely when it stopped running. A few of us from up Knowetop/Muirhouse, (including Beesher's father and uncle), did leave when the Muirhouse Branch started .... pre-Liz Mullen days.

Like the big man says, I was a regular on the bus from mid seventies ( 74/5 ish) and still 35 years down the line see, speak and more often than not have a drink with many of the faces from that time, infact there were about 1/2 a dozen of the regulars from that era on our bus to Nancy last year.

Stopped going on the BWB like FC says round about 81/2 and dont know if it carried on much longer than that. IIRC alot of the guys went upto the Muirhouse Branch.

It was in the early 80's when we started running the "Nut Hut Cup Bus", which is still going as strong now as it was then, nearly 30 years on, with trips to Nancy, Paris, All the Scotland home games, umpteen Hampden trips with the 'Well, including that "Lost weekend" in May 1991 and all the other away SC tie's since then. There are a good few of the younger posters on here have sampled the pub bus and are often told about it being like this back in the day. Often 3 generations on the bus. That all came about by us oldies serving our apprenticeship on the BWB.

" A tidy bus is a happy bus " :thumbup: ........... or else ( that right Foghorn )

Only ever went on the BWB a couple of times in the early 80's. The one that sticks in my mind was at Easter Road at the start of 80/81 season in the First Division.

We started off at the back of the old terracing opposite the main stand before being moved behind the goals. Think we lost 1-0 and ended up in a running battle over the railway bridge.

Good days! :thumbup:

We started off at the back of the old terracing opposite the main stand before being moved behind the goals. Think we lost 1-0 and ended up in a running battle over the railway bridge.

Good days! :lol:

Remember it well. The Cave and the Dunbar Road end were both shut so all turnstyles fed fans into the home end of that huge 2 tier main terrace. The Hibees had gathered down the bottom tier and our 20 bus loads or so were massing up the top tier. Think this rather took the Hibees and EOB by surprise, and a few unsavoury chants were swapped. I was 30yards or so away talking to a Hibee I knew from work when some bloke from Viewpark (you know who you are), lobbed a rucky down into the Hibees and it all kicked off. The Hibees charged up to the top tier and there was a bit of a scrap/face off and OB moved in to usher the 'Well fans thru the segregation fence and on round to the Dunbar Road end with me, (a 6' 7" claret&amber clad skinhead), excusing :whistling: my way thru the locals to get back with my kind.

We did indeed lose 1-0 and there was a further exchange of pleasantries outside :evilgrin: and across that wee bluddy bridge !