Steven Hammell

HanoMaSano

I've read various posts on here (and on FPC) since the wee man made his return last season moaning about his performances.

Today I was browsing and came across the table of top Assists in the SPL this season:

SPL Assists. I was not at all surprised to see that Stevie comes out on top for Motherwell players, but I think that in creating 16% of all our goals this season, and being the only player in the bottom 6 to be in the top 10 in th SPL, he deserves a bit more credit than he gets currently.

I was a big fan of Jim Patterson, but IMO Hammell is better going forward AND equally as good defensively.

Just wondered if the posts I've read represent what the majority of the fans think, or if more people agree with me that Stevie is one of (if not the) most important player in the team just now.

just a pity he is shit at defending though...

It's all about opinions I know, but I just don't agree at all. I can recall only one or two mistakes defensively the whole season, other than that I reckon he's been pretty solid.

I'm always shocked at how often you see the wee man out jumping guys practically a foot taller than him to get his head on a ball.

Correct!

He's paid to defend, which he does...badly!

Our midfielders should be making the assists but don't...cos their shit aswell!

Thing is though, he is obviously doing the job that McGhee wants him to do or he would have been dropped from the team by now. I know if any of the guys that work for me continually failed to do what they were asked then they wouldn't be there for long.

Correct!

He's paid to defend, which he does...badly!

Our midfielders should be making the assists but don't...cos their shit aswell!

Defending is only a small part of what's required from a modern day full back. Look at Alan Hutton, he can't defend for sh!t but got a move to the premiership for 9 million quid because of the danger he poses going forward.

Defending is only a small part of what's required from a modern day full back.

a small part? so what's the main part if not to defend? i know that they are expected to get up and support when we have the ball but i would like to think that they are first most to defend. I expect a striker to help out defensively when we don't have the ball but his main job is to get us goals is it not? or am i just being old fashion here?

a small part? so what's the main part if not to defend? i know that they are expected to get up and support when we have the ball but i would like to think that they are first most to defend. I expect a striker to help out defensively when we don't have the ball but his main job is to get us goals is it not? or am i just being old fashion here?

Yup! :lol:

Why not play him at left mid then?

I think he was played there for the St mirren game? I wasn't there, was he ganting?

To be fair he was a bit, but it is a position I reckon he could play well. The St. Mirren game was hard to judge it on seeing as McGhee decided to play half the team out of position.

If McGhee doesn't bring in Patrice Evra to replace Hammell in the close season - I'm gonna petition the European Parliament for his deliberate mental torture of all us poor sods.

either that or we realise that we're Motherwell FC and we support a bunch of players that buy and large give us everything they've got.

Like it or . . . . . go back to supporting the Old Firm or whatever the problem is that we all have with not having a team of Champions Leage stars (if that equates to lumping it)

Always rated Hammell, and felt he's been pretty hard done by re: his contribution. If you want bad defending, anyone remember Danny Murphy who got skinned/ripped several times a game on a good day? Stepover, while more inclined to go outside, was never as pacy as Hammell, and was more often than not caught by the opposition full back while on the overlap and forced to cut back. Hammells assists often don't come from direct runs/overlaps anyway, he does it more via neat one-twos around the edge of the box followed by a decent cross in. In his heyday, with Pearo and Faddy, some of the one-twos and interplay between them was a joy to watch.

Yes he cuts inside more often that people would like (usually because the opposition assign a man on him to stop him going outside), yes he could be a couple of inches taller but, hey, in the context of what we can afford and where we are, I'm more than happy. 'Mon the Stevie Hammell :lol:

Why not play him at left mid then?

I think he was played there for the St mirren game? I wasn't there, was he ganting?

Said that since he returned - he'd certainly be more effective there.

And let Reynolds move to left back, then Coach (if he doesn't go to Russia :lol: ) Craggs and Strech as the other three.

Always rated Hammell, and felt he's been pretty hard done by re: his contribution. If you want bad defending, anyone remember Danny Murphy who got skinned/ripped several times a game on a good day? Stepover, while more inclined to go outside, was never as pacy as Hammell, and was more often than not caught by the opposition full back while on the overlap and forced to cut back. Hammells assists often don't come from direct runs/overlaps anyway, he does it more via neat one-twos around the edge of the box followed by a decent cross in. In his heyday, with Pearo and Faddy, some of the one-twos and interplay between them was a joy to watch.

Yes he cuts inside more often that people would like (usually because the opposition assign a man on him to stop him going outside), yes he could be a couple of inches taller but, hey, in the context of what we can afford and where we are, I'm more than happy. 'Mon the Stevie Hammell :P

It's like you scooped the thoughts out of my brain and slopped it all down in a post :lol:

Couldn't agree more.

Also how many other teams in the SPL, no infact the world can say they have a player in their side who put Wayne Rooney in his back pocket and never let him oot for 90 minutes :lol:

Hammell, is a fantastic left back for our level and I think he could be at a better level too

Also how many other teams in the SPL, no infact the world can say they have a player in their side who put Wayne Rooney in his back pocket and never let him oot for 90 minutes :lol:

True, true.

We don't just have the one remember... we have two!

Not to forget Craggs silencing Rooney & Co at Windsor Park one memorable Wednesday night..

I like Stevie and he more than makes up with any mistakes with his graft and creativity for some of our goals this season.

If we were Real Madrid I could understand folk getting on players backs for not doing their job properly but our players do a decent enough job for our side and you can't really complain about the passion and effort a lot of these players give.

However saying all that I would've liked to have seen more from Hughes and Boab this season as a.the 2 best paid players in the squad. b. the players with the most big club experience c. the players with the most European experience.

Who knows if he stays we may see last seasons form again next season.

In his heyday, with Pearo and Faddy, some of the one-twos and interplay between them was a joy to watch.
Yep. I reckon we had the best left hand side in Scotland back then. shame we couldn;t just play other teams with three players!

this is unreal. hammel's a good player, commited to motherwell and a top bloke as well. i think 'flow mentioned the next home game (vs ICT) should be his 300th appearance and this is the pish that gets posted about a great servant to the club.

so far we had posts bashing clarkson, hughes and hammell in the past few weeks, three of our best players. we've had a load of "sign a centrehalf to play with craigan" comments from people who were probably saying sign a centrehalf to play with reynolds a year ago.

am i the only person who takes pleasure out the fact we've got guys like craigan, lasley, hammell, reynolds, clarkson and quinn who have been at the club for such a long time. we've also got guys like hughes, buzz, mclean and mcgarry who really seem to enjoy being here. would anyone rather go back to the bad days of the late 90's and pre admin when fir park had a revolving door and we had hunners of naebodys coming and going all the time. hearts are going to finish third this year but they must have used over 100 players in the past 5 years. of course we should build the squad but it's important to keep the core with a connection to mfc. most of the players people are moaning about have proven their worth many times over and just because we've hit a slight hiccup is no reason to jettison them.

Great performance from the wee man today, one of many this season. A sublime cross for the first goal, a superb crunching tackle in midfield that shut the midden fans up at a time when they were trying to get back into the game, a passing move down the left where he was involved 3 or 4 times before JOB was presented with the easiest chance of the game. Hope none of the 'big boys' were watching or we could see a bid for him because he is certainly better than anything they had on the field today.

Know when we are lucky!