Well Newsletter - The 'unsubscribe' Event

Steve Diggle

Anyone else fed up reading about Stephen Hughes and Buzz being 'undecided' on whether they'll stay or not being the lead story in this newsletter.

Ram it!

I'm only interested in news about folk that want to be here - both players I think have had ample web space about there apparent indecision. Stay or Go - You Decide (but do it in private if you don't mind)

C'mon the well - particularly the guys that wanna stay and give it their all!

I think, to be fair, when you subscribe to a weekly newsletter, you must expect that the majority of it is going to be interviews, quite simply because there isn't news every week. Some fanaticals will be interested in reading an exclusive interview every week. Some won't. If you were expecting to be seeing new signings, etc unveiled in the newsletter before it appears elsewhere then I think you were a bit niave. I'm subscribed to it, but I must admit I don't really read them.

Frazzle

I think, to be fair, when you subscribe to a weekly newsletter, you must expect that the majority of it is going to be interviews, quite simply because there isn't news every week. Some fanaticals will be interested in reading an exclusive interview every week. Some won't. If you were expecting to be seeing new signings, etc unveiled in the newsletter before it appears elsewhere then I think you were a bit niave. I'm subscribed to it, but I must admit I don't really read them.

Frazzle

I don't think you try to sound really patronising at times Frazzle - but it's an uncanny knack me old son.

I'm pointing out that I'm not interested in reading yet another feature on Buzz saying how he's undecided about staying - he's had that column space before. So has Hughes. I'm saying dont give them the lead column inches.

I'm long enough in the tooth to know exactly what to expect in a newsletter.

I'm pointing out that I'm not interested in reading yet another feature on Buzz saying how he's undecided about staying - he's had that column space before. So has Hughes. I'm saying dont give them the lead column inches.

Fair comment Steve. What about:

* some column inches on our new pitch i.e what is going to be done, how its going to done?

* a feature on Shaun Hutchinson/Jonathan Page/Paul Slane/Steven Saunders etc etc - we don't know a lot about many of our young lads.

I'm all for a newsletter and all credit to the club (Flow?) for instigating it but maybe a bit of fine tuning is required?

Think the newsletter has been a great idea, but like some have said, possibly in need of more work.

I'm sure those at FP who deal with this would be happy to hear any suggestions too - constructive criticism I suppose - to make it better. Especially considering it's us that are reading week in week out.

Think the newsletter has been a great idea, but like some have said, possibly in need of more work.

I'm sure those at FP who deal with this would be happy to hear any suggestions too - constructive criticism I suppose - to make it better. Especially considering it's us that are reading week in week out.

Fair point too Sarah.

One of the problems I suppose is that Flow and Co have some serious column inches to fill when you think about it and they can't replicate the programme content as that would detract from sales (why buy it on matchdays for £2.50 when you can get it on-line for free)

Like all of kmcalpins ideas too - spot on.

I started the thread when I had read the same Buzz story for the umpteenth time. I really don't think the club once they've communicated that situation should be allowing the player a couple of articles to ramble ramble ramble and say nothing other than "i dont have the baws to come out and say cheerio to yooz just yet"

I only ever read the headlines to be honest. Everyone knows that GS and SH have a contract up in the net few weeks so by stating GS goes haw this week and GS goes hum the next week you are keeping the fans up to date. If you leave it out then people will ask what the hells going on. Very tough balancing act as i assume all the subscribers don't read the web/papers every day so to know exactly what is going on this is their only chance.

At the risk of straying onto another thread Tweed, I think the problem in this particular case is that many/quite a few fans made their minds up months ago that Messrs Smith & Hughes were going to leave. Any subsequent comment the pair made, and quite a few were reported, were all along the lines "I haven't ruled out staying but am keeping my options open". To me at any rate that means "I'm offski". A meaningful update to me would a change of direction and one which should be reported is "I'm signing a new contract at Fir Park".

Its reminiscent of the old Monty Python sketch with John Cleese reading out the news for various animals.

I don't think you try to sound really patronising at times Frazzle - but it's an uncanny knack me old son.

I'm long enough in the tooth to know exactly what to expect in a newsletter.

I really didn't mean to sound patronising - sorry! :rolleyes:

But aye, what you're saying is right - the newsletter doesn't provide much in the way of interest to your average fan but I was just saying that you can't have any 'real' exclusive news on the newsletter, and with it being a weekly commitment, it can only really be padded out with nonsense interviews. Daves ideas are good, but how much more interest would be generated by an interview with a 17-year-old youth player? Even though I've not been interested in the interviews so far, I'd still rather know the thoughts of our first team players than boys we may never get to see play.

It might be an idea to send out an exclusive photo of the away strip before it comes out, assuming there's no big 'reveal' planned for it.

Frazzle

Guest 'Flow

Totally understand what people are saying - I've always said that the newsletter, at the moment, isn't quite what we intend it to be but during the summer break we are hoping to work out a format (and resources) that will make it a much more interesting read.

However, as Fraz says, it's not always easy but we'll ensure that it's much more value for money (well, sorta) in 2009/2010.

I hope today's exclusive proves of more interest!

:notworthy:

'Flow

Just read on the newsletter that we have a home friendly with Wigan on 8th August. First game on the new pitch.

Did we know this already and I've just not been paying attention?

If not, the newsletter is doing well and giving us information first. I think the newsletter is doing well and with feedback from the fans it can only get better.

Totally understand what people are saying - I've always said that the newsletter, at the moment, isn't quite what we intend it to be but during the summer break we are hoping to work out a format (and resources) that will make it a much more interesting read.

However, as Fraz says, it's not always easy but we'll ensure that it's much more value for money (well, sorta) in 2009/2010.

I hope today's exclusive proves of more interest!

:notworthy:

'Flow

By and large - I think the newsletter is good Flow as is the programme - which, when you compare it to what you used to get for your dosh. . . .

My rant was purely about the lead article twice being players opening their mooth and letting their belly's rumble about whether they'll be here or not.

we all know they won't be (well unless they get a severe dissy and no one comes to liberate them) let them do their soul seaching / humming and hawing / casting their hook in the press.

At the risk of straying onto another thread Tweed, I think the problem in this particular case is that many/quite a few fans made their minds up months ago that Messrs Smith & Hughes were going to leave. Any subsequent comment the pair made, and quite a few were reported, were all along the lines "I haven't ruled out staying but am keeping my options open". To me at any rate that means "I'm offski". A meaningful update to me would a change of direction and one which should be reported is "I'm signing a new contract at Fir Park".

Its reminiscent of the old Monty Python sketch with John Cleese reading out the news for various animals.

My point was by providing nothing on the back of a story which did state one of two things could happen they could be seen to be hiding something. You and I are on the web every day so its no value add to us. I think something (even a one liner) that just reminds the fans we know you don't know the resolution of this one is worthwhile.

Totally understand what people are saying .....but during the summer break we are hoping to work out a format (and resources) that will make it a much more interesting read.

However, as Fraz says, it's not always easy but we'll ensure that it's much more value for money (well, sorta) in 2009/2010. I hope today's exclusive proves of more interest!

:)

'Flow

Cheers Flow. Points taken :)