Any Fans Here With No Connection To Motherwell/lanarkshire ?

trafficlight

Just had the thought whether I'm the only weirdo who has pitched up out of the blue on the forum, or are there others? Are there any members of the forum who are ( unlike myself ) real diehard 'Well fans who have no connection to the town or the area, yet who, for some reason, came to support the club ? I'd be interested to hear their stories. Sorry if this thread has been done previously. :blink:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my grandad supported Motherwell before he ever moved there from Cardiff. He grew up with a friend from Lanarkshire and had an affinity for them. It latter turned out (by coincidence) that after the war he were to marry a woman from Ireland and settle in Motherwell!

My generation (i.e. bro and sis) are the first scots and native Lanarkshire folk in the family, but we have 3 generations (soon to be 4!) of die hard well fans.

Cheers for that, al, though if I may point out this is strictly for non-Lanarkshire Steelmen. Oddballs, basically, though the polite term would be eccentrics :lol:

Like Cwith Eubank? Monocle n all that :lol:

Theres plenty of them mate u only have to look at the Arsenal fan from Kenya that hung himself cos they got put out the Champions League

Spent 3 months living in Motherwell at the age of one....(can obviously remember nothing about it)...since been living in Renfrew/Paisley area for over 24 years..

Raised by a mother who had no interest in football and a father who had a vague interest in Blackburn Rovers...

Wasnt really interested in Scottish football growing up, used to watch Arsenal, Blackburn Everton...had been to watch Rangers and at Parkhead with friends, whilst my cousin decided to take me to a few Ayr United games up and down the country in the hope i'd be an Ayr converter...

With the tv crap, and none of my friends kicking about i decided one day to go and watch a game at Fir Park, only being 30 minutes away..pre season friendly against west ham... Next week was cheering on the Well against St Johnstone in the league, and the rest is history....Once the Well hooks you in, its hard to ignore.

Is your dad a 'Well fan perhaps ? I'm hoping there's someone with no previous connections with MFC who decided that's the team for them. I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for the wife, so I can't make that claim.

See that thread I linked you to? The whole story is in there.

See that thread I linked you to? The whole story is in there.

I'll have a look to see whether you qualify, but I must warn you the bar is set very high. There's more chance of an Iraqi getting straight through passport control in America than there is of someone meeting my criteria. This is hardcore left field football support. :lol:

Born and raised in Renfrew for all my life.

Mum's side of the family, Rangers.

Dad's only real affinity was Falkirk, but wouldn't ever go as far as saying he "supported" them.

Typical young gloryhunter that chose Rangers as they were highly successful (well domestically anyway). This being blind to the fact of the secterianism, stigma that goes with supporting one of the OF.

Dad then took advantage of the cheap Season Ticket offer back in 2000 for Motherwell. So, one good thing that Boyle has done is encourage people like me to come back game after game long after that offer has gone.

After a couple of years of watching 'Well games week in, week out -the bug bites. And I think it was the night of Fagan/Faddy against Celtic in 2001, that it really kicked in and there was no changing back. As I grew older and into my teenage years, you start to understand what football means and what supporting a club through thick and thin meant.

As a result now, after re-locating to Liverpool when I was 16, 4yrs ago. Still manage to make 99% of home and away games. Only midweek games become a problem due to work commitments.

So, thank you Mr Boyle for your cheap season ticket initiative nearly a decade ago.

Once a 'Well Fan. Always a 'Well Fan.

Nah, I have VirginTrains to thank for my travel to games..

So, they too have made a mint off of me, for my desire to follow the 'Well.

I'll say, it's £60 for a return from Manchester, not to mention the six hour round trip. :lol: . Do you have a season ticket for the train ?

After a couple of years of watching 'Well games week in, week out -the bug bites. And I think it was the night of Fagan/Faddy against Celtic in 2001, that it really kicked in and there was no changing back. As I grew older and into my teenage years, you start to understand what football means and what supporting a club through thick and thin meant.

Christ that can't be eight years ago! Jaysus I am old.

Christ that can't be eight years ago! Jaysus I am old.

What does that make me?? I came to the realisation last week, that for the first time ever in my life every Motherwell player who pulled on a jersey this season was younger than me. Now I know this applies to a few fans. But it's the first time for me. And it's quite depressing really...