Any Fans Here With No Connection To Motherwell/lanarkshire ?

trafficlight

What does that make me?? I came to the realisation last week, that for the first time ever in my life every Motherwell player who pulled on a jersey this season was younger than me. Now I know this applies to a few fans. But it's the first time for me. And it's quite depressing really...

Have a word with 'Flow - see if he can use his influence to bring back Wullie McSeveney for another season...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What does that make me?? I came to the realisation last week, that for the first time ever in my life every Motherwell player who pulled on a jersey this season was younger than me. Now I know this applies to a few fans. But it's the first time for me. And it's quite depressing really...

Tell me about it. Not quite there yet, but a couple of years back when I was 29 when I suddenly realised I was never going to play for Motherwell

:D

phew.. thats a relief, i thought i was the only one thinking that kind of thing. :D

I was born in Hillhead in Glasgow and apart from 0-4 years old (when I was in Glasgow) I have never ever lived within 30 miles of Motherwell. My folks got divorced and my Old Man had the choice of taking me to either watch Hillhead Rugby or Motherwell every other month.

He took me to my first Motherwell game in Dec 1975 and it was love at first sight. Well the truth as I remember it was that it was freezing and I wanted to go home.

Let's look on the bright side. I could have been a Partick Thistle fan if I had supported my nearest club :D

I was born in Hillhead in Glasgow and apart from 0-4 years old (when I was in Glasgow) I have never ever lived within 30 miles of Motherwell. My folks got divorced and my Old Man had the choice of taking me to either watch Hillhead Rugby or Motherwell every other month.

He took me to my first Motherwell game in Dec 1975 and it was love at first sight. Well the truth as I remember it was that it was freezing and I wanted to go home.

Let's look on the bright side. I could have been a Partick Thistle fan if I had supported my nearest club :D

Oh you lucky man, :D I could've been a .............................Dread........................ Fear ........................Jambo .AAAAAAAAARGH :lol::lol:

Born in Paisley and lived in Glasgow's southside for seven years. Never lived in Motherwell in my life, in fact never been in the town except for the fitba'!

We moved to Lanarkshire when I was seven but despite being about 7 miles from Motherwell AND them being the closest 'Premier' team to us I don't think I had heard of Motherwell!! I was into fitba' quite a bit and my Rangers fan dad took me to the odd game at Ibrox :lol: whenever he could wangle a ticket. Like most Rangers 'fans' I thought 2 games a season was enough and wasn't really bothered, half heartedly celebrating (at most) when leagues/cups were won. This continued for a few years into high school but I was never that into it. My mum, from a BIG catholic/Celtic family wouldn't allow Rangers tops (because of the 'Alcohol' Advertising on them :lol: ) so I never even had one of them (although I did have a Celtic top from somewhere :lol: ).

Then in high school, when I was about 14/15 the school done this thing with Motherwell FC where you paid a pound and got a 'lenny' of one of the season tickets the school had. I quite fancied going to another stadium and seeing another team so I heard this and raced to get in line for the 'first come first served'. I was the only one to take it up (- all season!!!) along with my mate, who had just passed his driving test so we drove to Motherwell v Dundee Utd. The world and his maw were at that game and we had to sit up the back of the South stand in a crowd of about 12,000 (although I thought this was pretty normal behaviour :lol: ). Can't remember much but some punter called Nyssonen scored and the 'Well won 1-0!!

It was enough for us to both head along for the next couple of games, with little else to do and it only cost a quid for a 'lenny' from the school. I remember the football being pretty shite and we weren't really that into it. As the next game was against Rangers I remember joking about a moral dilema if I would be happy if Rangers scored. As it turns out when John Spencer rattled in the winner for the 'Well it was the best thing to happen to me, it was amazing to be in the East Stand celebrating ACTUAL joy and I was hooked, totally hooked. Scarf bought the next week from the guy at the railings and been to just about every game for the last 11 years. I even got my kid sister involved who was only about 7 at the time and took her to games and then my 'Rangers' fan dad followed and started going to games. At first he didn't really care and just went for the crack but it started to grow to the point him and my sister were kicking about in Nancy with 'Well tops on - and I wasn't even there!!!

It just shows you what can happen, I'll defy any 'Rangers' or 'Celtic' fan who goes to no games and knows nothing to go along and NOT catch the bug - I believe kids should get into games at fir park for a quid, every week, it just shows you how far that quid went against Dundee Utd 11 years ago!! :D

Here's my story, copy and pasted from other post. Born and Bred Lutonian (but still a proud Scotsman!!!), who started following 'Well when I was about 7 after I noticed my namesake Bobby Russell in my first panini album (86/87 I think) that my old man bought for me. He is an Inverkeithing-born Jambo and my brother is a Pars fan. My first game was when the 'Well came down here to play Baldock Town and even though we had the likes of Coyne and Van der Gaag playing, I remember we made quite a meal out of it in the first half.

I'll say, it's £60 for a return from Manchester, not to mention the six hour round trip. :P . Do you have a season ticket for the train ?

My next trip up from Manchester will be for the Europa Cup match, I tend to make a couple of days out of it and stay with my daughter in Netherton. So I dont have to travel there and back in the one day.

I know the feeling, the time when I really felt my age was when Alan McInally announced his retirement. It really hit's home when the SONS of players you idolised retire.

I left Knowetop when I was 20, (almost 28 years ago), heading east to the capital city ......... didn't stop me being MFC daft though, and many trips back to Lanarkshire were on Hibs, Celtic, Hearts, Dundee, Rangers buses :P

Unfortunately Skaville is outwith the daytrip zone, but the blood still runs C&A.

So if McCormack was the only one to leave last year, surely it was the same last season. Or have I missed someone leaving? :unsure:

I left Knowetop when I was 20, (almost 28 years ago), heading east to the capital city ......... didn't stop me being MFC daft though, and many trips back to Lanarkshire were on Hibs, Celtic, Hearts, Dundee, Rangers buses :D

Unfortunately Skaville is outwith the daytrip zone, but the blood still runs C&A.

Do you still try to beat up pensioners?

I'd never even been to Motherwell until 10 years ago when I first met my (then to be) wife as she's 'Well born and bred. Now lived in the 'Well for 8 years. As for fitba I'll have to admit I did have a wee spell of going to Ibrox :P for a couple of seasons in the mid 90s. Started going to Fir Park 4 seasons ago with the wife's uncle and some of his mates. Got a season ticket last season and only missed 1 home game. Just renewed season ticket for next season so I can safely say my passion for the Steelmen is going from strength to strength. Come on ye 'Well :lol::P

(we lost 1 nil at home to Dundee Utd, Drunk Dunc scored)

I mind that game really well tae, I got in for nowt when taken along by the junior section at the BB's no less! Was stood at the wall at the front of the terracing, just to the left of the goal as you view it from behind where the Cooper stands now sits.