It's Official And Now The Hunt Begins!

rab_mackinnon

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well speaking as a Brighton fan, that's clearly not the case. He had the opportunity to go to the club (that finished 3rd this season) for more money last season but turned them down. The time would have been right for him then, but he put Motherwell first - and the thanks he gets is your post and dozens like it. I can accept fans being bitter about a difficult transition period ahead without the certainty of a high performing manager at the helm, but to blacken the name of an excellent club servant is plain wrong.

I think that's a rather droll rewrite of history. In fact, in his first official press conference for the club, Porter mentioned his ambition to play for the Old Firm. People who think like you (ie. who are overly critical of good club servants with a professional outlook) lambasted him for those comments as being disrespectful to his new employers, Motherwell. I don't know if the thread still exists after the Flow changeover, but hunt it out if you don't remember it. These critics were quietened by Porter's performances on the pitch.

So in fact, Porter and McGhee are very similar. Porter never made any secret of his ambition to leave here as soon as a good opportunity arise and did so well before McGhee. To hold himn up as a paragon of loyalty/professionalism to Well and lambast McGhee as lacking those qualities is pretty absurd.

If we're talking about operating in a classy way, that applies to fans too. Good club servants who achieve things for Motherwell don't deserve to have their character and good name dragged down.

That is a surprise. I saw a game of his when he was in caretaker charge of Swindon, bit of a drubbing. Dare I say he was one of the ones that Malpas beat to get the Swindon job.

The why bring it up? You are right, it's entirely undeserved and relates back to a period very early in his managerial career that he learned from. It's an example of the low quality of argument that his critics use that it keeps getting recycled. I'd be happy to go through it club by club post-Leicester but it would be dull stuff.

As I said earlier, I don't think the parallel you made with Porter holds much water but I'd be interested to hear others on here try and defend that case.

Almost as unfair alas is this "touting" stuff. This is something I've seen labelled at a lot of managers in my time following football besides McGhee, always the ones who excell in short spaces of times and become the subject of media speculation and interest.

It is not McGhee's fault that he bacame a target of such media speculation so early in his time at Motherwell, that was an inevitable consequence of his outperformance in the job. He always answered such specualtion with honesty and dignity. What outrageous private thoughts did he express? I never saw them - it was just malign critics reading the worst into what were usually very anodyne comments made to deflect away media attention.

There is a very immature streak of arrogance in a lot of football fans that expects people like McGhee to behave like a football fan, rather than a football professional, ie. to express some kind of lifeling passion and devotion to an employer. McGhee never did that and was right not to do so - he would have been a justified target of fan anger if he ever promised to be here for years and did not live up to that promise. Instead, he was honest about his career ambitions and that he did not see Well fulfilling them at career-end. Good for him, all I want is honesty in a manager, not some kind of fake, cheap, lowest-common denominator-pleasing expressions of loyalty.

I think McGhee benefited from Well but Well benefited a hell of lot from McGhee. I think the job now is seen throughout British football as a more attractive proposition for ambitious managers given the soild top 6 efforts of the past two years, we have McGhee to thank for that. If we get quality applicants applying, it will be partly due to the higher profile he has given the club and its talented players in his time here.

Who is London Irish ? He came onto the boards on 27/12/2008 and almost all of his posts seems reactive to criticisms of Mark McGhee in some way , Is he McGhees love child or perhaps McGhee himself

http://www.steelmenonline.co.uk/forums/ind...sult_type=posts

There is a very immature streak of arrogance in a lot of football fans that expects people like McGhee to behave like a football fan, rather than a football professional, ie. to express some kind of lifeling passion and devotion to an employer. McGhee never did that and was right not to do so - he would have been a justified target of fan anger if he ever promised to be here for years and did not live up to that promise. Instead, he was honest about his career ambitions and that he did not see Well fulfilling them at career-end. Good for him, all I want is honesty in a manager, not some kind of fake, cheap, lowest-common denominator-pleasing expressions of loyalty.

Thank fuck someone is talking sense. Anyone would think he'd been a shite manager for us. Let's hope that any prospective applicant for the post doesn't decide to read some of the shite on here to guage fans' expectations.

As long as the next manager doesn't turn up and tell us on day one how he'd rather have the Celtic job, I think we'll all get along just fine.

I don't see anybody on here saying McGhee didn't do a good job on the park. Just that his pathological need to tell everyone within range that he wanted a 'step up' every 5 minutes, tended to grate after the first 3 months.

If MM had come along and said "I'll be here two years then, no matter what, I'm off" then we'd have accepted that. Signing an extended, vastly-improved contract then tarting yourself for anything that came up aint th eway to go about things.