Squad Question

MelvinBragg

I posted this question in the Draw thread but I'll post it again here as I fear it will get lost there. I'm sure I read somewhere on here that our squad for the first round had to be registered by midnight tonight. Anyone confirm or deny this? How does this leave us goalkeeper wise? Without even mentioning squad depth...

Yes.

The Squad of 25 must be named by 11pm tonight for the First Round.

A full list of dates are

22 June 2009 11pm - 25 players - First Round

10 July 2009 11pm - 25 players - Second Round

24 July 2009 11pm - 25 players - Third Round

10 August 2009 11pm - 25 players - Playoff Round

1 September 2009 11pm - 25 players - Group Stages

8 of the 25 players must be locally trained. If a club can not fill that quota then the club lose the right to register the full amount by the amount they are missing.

You can also remove one player and add one player up to 11pm of the day before the match - aslong as they could play in your domestic league at that time.

There is also a B list which makes no sense to me so meh!

I have a feeling they'll need to re-register Meldrum (according to SPL he was registered last season) as I don't think we can register keepers that are not signed up with the club, unless Buzz is putting pen to paper at this very moment....

Aye, under 9 hours to go and under 15 recognisable first team players, with the option of adding 1, the day before the game. Suddenly, the Llanelli game goes from being tricky to difficult...

So I am looking at it. Our Squad will be unless something changes in the GK department..

GK

None (The Polish kid and Melly???)

Defenders

Stephen Craigan

Stephen Hammell

Mark Reynolds

Paul Quinn

Steven Saunders

Jonathan Page

Shaun Hutchison

Midfield

Marc Fitzpatrick

Darren Lee Smith

Stephen McGarry

Keith Lasley

Jim O'Brien

Strikers

David Clarkson

John Sutton

Jamie Murphy

*Those in italics = Home Grown.

Who do you think we'll name for the other ten possibles?

So I am looking at it. Our Squad will be unless something changes in the GK department..

GK

None (The Polish kid and Melly???)

Defenders

Stephen Craigan

Stephen Hammell

Mark Reynolds

Paul Quinn

Steven Saunders

Jonathan Page

Shaun Hutchison

Midfield

Marc Fitzpatrick

Darren Lee Smith

Stephen McGarry

Keith Lasley

Jim O'Brien

Strikers

David Clarkson

John Sutton

Jamie Murphy

*Those in italics = Home Grown.

Who do you think we'll name for the other ten possibles?

:lol: I wouldn't be booking a flight to Albania just yet. A couple of injuries and we're in real bother...

Interesting to see Smith removed and Fraser in, with Hughes and McLean still listed on official squad list.

If Hughes had resigned you'd think we'd have trumpeted it from the rooftops, so I assuming that reason for this is that is still up in the air with only Smith definately gone though where to still a mystery. Hopefully the euro ties will force a conclusion. If he plans to go to Aberdeen or Hearts then he surely won't be playing a part.

Interesting to see Smith removed and Fraser in, with Hughes and McLean still listed on official squad list.

If Hughes had resigned you'd think we'd have trumpeted it from the rooftops, so I assuming that reason for this is that is still up in the air with only Smith definately gone though where to still a mystery. Hopefully the euro ties will force a conclusion. If he plans to go to Aberdeen or Hearts then he surely won't be playing a part.

Kind of my thinking as well. I'm assuming that McLean is off as well for somewhere where he may get more first team football. Just wondering about the guys Beevers and Boyle we're supposed to be signing. I'm assuming they won't be ours til July 1st, but then again I thought the same about Michael Fraser. I'm wondering if UEFA will allow the registering of players who are due to sign for you before the tie but after the deadline? These pre-contracts open up a whole can of worms. Goddamn you, Mr Bosman...

Why is there nothing on the official site regarding the situation with Buzz, Hughes, McLean and Klimpl? There never has been. The silence is deafening as always! We can only assume the boy from Dumbarton and the Beevers guys have not signed as there is nothing on the official site. Personally I'm resigned to losing Klimpl, Hughes, and Buzz but it's a poor, poor show if McLean is allowed to leave. Nothing though. No updates or anything.

I mean it's great that the new strip has apparently been selling well, but there are bigger fish to fry!

I personally think you can take it as read that until such time as a new manager is appointed then there will be no news re: player transfers or contracts - aside from unusual circumstances, it is the new guy in charge who'd have responsibility for making offers to players, so until he's in, I'd assume we'll be light on such news.

I personally think you can take it as read that until such time as a new manager is appointed then there will be no news re: player transfers or contracts - aside from unusual circumstances, it is the new guy in charge who'd have responsibility for making offers to players, so until he's in, I'd assume we'll be light on such news.

I take your point, Rev, but if other clubs like Lincoln are announcing that their players are joining us, it does make us look a bit daft. The media have reported that Boyle will be joining us and there is mention of the young guy from Queens Park. If these are targets we've agreed to contracts with, them having been agreed before Sheepy McShovelface went north then why don't we get around any embarrasment by simply saying that these players were identified by our scouts, who presumably still work for the club... :blush:

I quite agree that if these guys are 100% tied up on contracts then not publicising it would appear a bit pointless when, as you point out, the information is seemingly available from the other parties involved. However, where the media is involved and perhaps even other clubs, I'd rather hear it from the horses mouth before considering it concrete information.

Could it be that discussions have taken place, and perhaps even contracts have been offered, but until the new guy is appointed to give his nod of approval then they won't be signed?

My concern then becomes the fact that the squad listed by WF1984 earlier in the thread is going to be the limit of our squad for a further "week or so". I know the SPL season is starting later this year, and being honest the European games don't matter that much. But if we are to use them as pre-season training matches, it would be a good idea to get as much of the squad together before these games. And it might help make sure we have four games rather than two before the Wigan game...