Pwc Spl Financial Review

rinkydink

The PwC annual review of the SPL clubs' finances is always an interesting read, particularly for boring accountants such as myself.

I did find the section in relation to attendances to be a bit bizarrely worded though:

The SPL attracted slightly lower crowds during the 2007/08 season with

average attendance figures down 3% from the prior season to 184,297. Two

thirds of the SPL teams experienced a decrease in attendance levels with

the largest absolute fall of 2,636 per match attributable to Hearts. Celtic and

Kilmarnock also noted falls in attendance numbers, down 1,251 and 1,375

respectively. Bucking this trend, Dundee United and Motherwell posted

improved numbers due to a top six finish for the former, while the tragic

death of Phil O’Donnell attracted greater numbers through the gates for the

latter.

Makes us sound like a right morbid bunch. :whistling:

I think that report shows why were so desperate to sell now that weve lost Shitanta, our wage bill last year increased by over £1m to something like £3.4m pa, or over 70% of our turnover!!! :whistling:

suppose that puts to bed the myth that JB was footing the bill for Hughes + Porter. And also the one about MMG working miracles with no money

suppose that puts to bed the myth that JB was footing the bill for Hughes + Porter.
Not necessarily. The wages/turnover ratio is just a standard measure that is used for comparison. If JB had dipped his hand into his pocket, it doesn't mean it would appear here.

I think that report shows why were so desperate to sell now that weve lost Shitanta, our wage bill last year increased by over £1m to something like £3.4m pa, or over 70% of our turnover!!! :P

It also puts the spotlight on the extreme necessity of MFC to find increased football AND non football revenue streams.

The sad reality is that it looks like increasing our fan base substantially is not an option and that limits the possibilities of substantially increasing sponsorship options. So in order to satisfy the demands of the fans for better players, we need to find cash from another source or accept mediocrity / fear of relegation. And just ask Dundee or Partick if it is easy to rebound to the SPL quickly.

A well planned complex at Ravenscraig seems to be in the mindset of JB et al, seeing that the future finances in our current state are not too rosy. While the hotel option may or may not be the answer, perhaps a club owned community sports complex is. Maybe this is a way to increase facility usage due to central location easily accessible to the main motorway ?? Junior matches, Scotland team training, Scotland matches vs smaller nationsclub etc..

And of course a club pub should work, perhaps the "Dougie Arms" ??!! :P

Any other ideas out there ?

It also puts the spotlight on the extreme necessity of MFC to find increased football AND non football revenue streams.

The sad reality is that it looks like increasing our fan base substantially is not an option and that limits the possibilities of substantially increasing sponsorship options. So in order to satisfy the demands of the fans for better players, we need to find cash from another source or accept mediocrity / fear of relegation. And just ask Dundee or Partick if it is easy to rebound to the SPL quickly.

A well planned complex at Ravenscraig seems to be in the mindset of JB et al, seeing that the future finances in our current state are not too rosy. While the hotel option may or may not be the answer, perhaps a club owned community sports complex is. Maybe this is a way to increase facility usage due to central location easily accessible to the main motorway ?? Junior matches, Scotland team training, Scotland matches vs smaller nationsclub etc..

And of course a club pub should work, perhaps the "Dougie Arms" ??!! :cheers:

Any other ideas out there ?

Nope just what you said!!

The ONLY future we have is to get away from the rotting and corroding FP. I mean that in both the tangible and financial sense.

A new, prob sponsored complex with NO annual repair bills and MORE income through sports facilities, bars, conference rooms, better hospitality etc.. is really, 100% a no brainer..

They will most definetly have to make Airbles Road dual-carriageway all the way up to Ravenscraig if they do that. I know that there's plans to extend it right through but no sign of that happening any time soon.

Perharps also rent the areas underneath the stands at a new stadium out for offices like hamilton do? I hear the money raised from letting out the space underneath tht away stand and bits of the main accounts for a big chunk of their income

The only thing that worries me about moving to Ravenscraig is, would it be a wee "tesco value stadium" like St Mirren have? Could the club afford it without having to have a partnership with the 'cooncil?

Fir Park surely is wanted by developers as the old college is set to be developed, and i noticed a persimmon homes sign had popped up at the wasteland behind the astro pitch behind the east stand