Jim Gannons 1st Game

Shaun Henderson

What the fuck is with the stick O'Brien gets on this forum? It baffles me, hes easily our most skillful player and has probably been a clear candidate for man of the match in 75% of the games hes played for us.

Agree. All the talk about the youngsters being given a chance should remember that O'Brien is still just that - a youngster who (hopefully) will benefit from Gannon's coaching.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree. All the talk about the youngsters being given a chance should remember that O'Brien is still just that - a youngster who (hopefully) will benefit from Gannon's coaching.

Not really. Jim is nearly 22. Young players are 16/17/18.

Not really. Jim is nearly 22. Young players are 16/17/18.

we've just sold Clarkson aged nearly 24 on the back of two reasonably good seasons for us. not sure anyone would have paid 600k for him this time 2 seasons ago so regardless of relativity of youth i think Jim O'brien is a younger player who will improve with coaching and encouragement of fans.

we've just sold Clarkson aged nearly 24 on the back of two reasonably good seasons for us. not sure anyone would have paid 600k for him this time 2 seasons ago so regardless of relativity of youth i think Jim O'brien is a younger player who will improve with coaching and encouragement of fans.

Clarkson may have had the coaching, but for a large chunk of his career he hardly had the encouragement of the fans!

Clarkson may have had the coaching, but for a large chunk of his career he hardly had the encouragement of the fans!

so think what a superstar o'brien could be with coaching and some fan backing and what we could do with £80m of Real's money in a couple of years :(

Somebody asked why we had 3 and 4 defenders back just to mark their number 9.

Because although not a particularly good player he was putting himself about, using his strength (and elbows) to good effect and generally causing the defence problems.

Now look at the other end of the park. What the F*** did Sutton do last night ??

Absolutely Hee Haw and not for the first time in his career at Well.

IMO he is a waste of a jersey.

All the people who moaned about Clarky's poor first touch and aimless running about should look at what we have up front now that he ain't here.

Jim Gannon has his work cut out but I'm sure that given time he will make us a better side and I still think we are good enough to get a result in Wales next week.

Mon the Dossers.

That was me - I know what you mean, but I still don't think defenders of the supposed calibre of Craigan and Reynolds should need help from a couple of full backs to keep the shackles on a part-time striker (no disrespect intended).

Agree with everything you say about Sutton - if that's all he's got to offer we'd be beter off without him.

Throughout the team we are lacking physical strength and presence.

Gripes

I was at the game last night and it wasn't particulary pleasant viewing. Unfotunately, after we lost the goal (against the run of play) we looked fairly devoid of ideas to try to force our way back into the game.

I thought both McGarry and Lasley, while obviously trying, didn't seem able to 'stamp' their game onto the midfield area. Hopefully with another week's training & fitness-conditioning this will improve as they were able to use their experience to good effect when combined with the youthful exuberence to dominate the 1st 25 mins.

Things did improve in the 2nd half with the introduction of Slane for Lasley but that might also have something to do with Forbes and Slane knowing each other's strengths from the U-19's.

Although Craigan was partially at fault for the goal, it was to the back post on the right-hand side and the youngster Saunders also should have been more dominant at the corner. Both improved afterwards and I thought that Saunders showed promise, although like all young players, was a bit wasteful at times when trying to sling in crosses.

For the people who are slating O'Brien I don't know what game you were watching as he seemed to be the sole player able to 'create' a chance last night. Yes, he did mis-place some passes but these were in forward/attcking areas so there was minimal chance of us being exposed on the counter. That couldn't be said of Lasley or McGarry although Llanelli didn't really exploit those chances.

Positives

All the youngsters looked comfortable on the ball and we kept possession well for long periods last night.

We looked the stronger side in the last 10 minutes so hopefully that will improve in the intervening week and we can exploit it in the intervening week.

We actually managed some shots from distance last night and one or two might have resulted in a goal.

All in all, there is still cause for optimism and hope for the season the 'Well rollercoaster!

Gripes

I was at the game last night and it wasn't particulary pleasant viewing. Unfotunately, after we lost the goal (against the run of play) we looked fairly devoid of ideas to try to force our way back into the game.

I thought both McGarry and Lasley, while obviously trying, didn't seem able to 'stamp' their game onto the midfield area. Hopefully with another week's training & fitness-conditioning this will improve as they were able to use their experience to good effect when combined with the youthful exuberence to dominate the 1st 25 mins.

Things did improve in the 2nd half with the introduction of Slane for Lasley but that might also have something to do with Forbes and Slane knowing each other's strengths from the U-19's.

Although Craigan was partially at fault for the goal, it was to the back post on the right-hand side and the youngster Saunders also should have been more dominant at the corner. Both improved afterwards and I thought that Saunders showed promise, although like all young players, was a bit wasteful at times when trying to sling in crosses.

For the people who are slating O'Brien I don't know what game you were watching as he seemed to be the sole player able to 'create' a chance last night. Yes, he did mis-place some passes but these were in forward/attcking areas so there was minimal chance of us being exposed on the counter. That couldn't be said of Lasley or McGarry although Llanelli didn't really exploit those chances.

Positives

All the youngsters looked comfortable on the ball and we kept possession well for long periods last night.

We looked the stronger side in the last 10 minutes so hopefully that will improve in the intervening week and we can exploit it in the intervening week.

We actually managed some shots from distance last night and one or two might have resulted in a goal.

All in all, there is still cause for optimism and hope for the season the 'Well rollercoaster!

Can we have this person banned forever surely no place for balanced well thought out posting on here :lol: