Jim Gannons 1st Game

Shaun Henderson

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, let's hope so. Not really much to do with Gannon. We have sold almost every talented player this summer. Does he give players the old 'hairdryer' treatment? I was hoping(and expecting) a big improvement in the second half of tonight's game but by the sounds of things not much changed-plenty of possession but not much to show for it. Cannae really comment as wasn't at the game but as I say sounded that his teamtalk didn't achieve much.

Exactly. Even if he had given them a bollocking at half time, I wouldn't have expected us to somehow spring out and put three or four goals past them. As I said on another thread, at this stage of (pre) season, we're far from a team, especially considering the players we've lost.

That said, I'm confident that given a few weeks, and a few replacements, we'll be in a far better position. After all, we only have to look at how much work McGhee had to put in during his first pre-season, and the result....and who would have thought that given the hell of Malpas?

It'll come, but this isn't a progression, it's a new manager, with new ways of doing things, and he's going to have to find new players to do it with.

Remember Strachan's first game at Celtic : 0-5 against Artmedia Bratislava, yet he did ok. Nobody will blame a manager who has been at a club for what is literally a couple of days. At least nobody with any sense will. Gannon proved he likes a challenge when he took on the Stockport job when that club was on the brink of ruin, so he knows how to approach a big re-building job. He needs time to put his stamp on the team and make root and branch changes, and 'Well may emerge the stronger for that.

Well first game under the new management team and if we hadn't lost that pathetic goal no one wuld be complaining .Having said that he obviously spotted that Lasley can only pass back O'brien hides then when he gets a ball from the youngsters he gives them a bollocking .Sutton will never be a target man (maybe never a striker)no effort no skill no good .I feel certain the manager will also be looking for a big central defender and a goalkeeper (where have we heard this before)

However there were bright spots from some of the younger players ,I would in the next leg play the under 19 team as none of the senior players looked too interested .

Well first game under the new management team and if we hadn't lost that pathetic goal no one wuld be complaining .Having said that he obviously spotted that Lasley can only pass back O'brien hides then when he gets a ball from the youngsters he gives them a bollocking .Sutton will never be a target man (maybe never a striker)no effort no skill no good .I feel certain the manager will also be looking for a big central defender and a goalkeeper (where have we heard this before)

However there were bright spots from some of the younger players ,I would in the next leg play the under 19 team as none of the senior players looked too interested .

What game were you watching ? O'Brien was probably our best player tonight!

What game were you watching ? O'Brien was probably our best player tonight!

I was at the game as usual please tell me if you were there how many time he beat a man and got a cross in don't think too hard it was once in each half ,he huffs and puffs and acieves nothing ....let him go now .

I was at the game as usual please tell me if you were there how many time he beat a man and got a cross in don't think too hard it was once in each half ,he huffs and puffs and acieves nothing ....let him go now .

I was also there as usual and he seemed to be the only person capable of creating something , almost every attacking move went through him and he seemed to realise way before everyone else that high balls into the box was not the way to play against a team who packed the defence and won just about every ball that came across from the flanks with big defenders and confident goalkeeping, more often than not he beat players and worked the ball into the danger area by playing football.

He certainly did not hide in any way shape or form, at times it was Jim O Brien v AFC Llanelli.

You can't possibly blame him for the fact we had no end product there were another 10 players out there tonight.

I agree that the younger players were performing the best.

Correct. Jim Gannon asked the players to prove what they could do and in fairness they did just that. He will have learnt from what he saw. The older players let us down whilst younger lads like Forbes and Slane will have impressed him.

I doubt very much if the team that takes the field aginst St Johnstone will bear much resemblance to tonight's line up. :lol:

He certainly did not hide in any way shape or form, at times it was Jim O Brien v AFC Llanelli.

You can't possibly blame him for the fact we had no end product there were another 10 players out there tonight.

That's certainly true that is! The fact that we're having this debate after this overall team performance tonight is astounding.

To be honest though there are guys that just fuckin love when he puts even the slightest foot wrong. Absolutely cream themselves that the veins in their neck are bulging and all that venom is flowing

Go have a word with yourselves or fuck off and watch somebody else.

I was also there as usual and he seemed to be the only person capable of creating something , almost every attacking move went through him and he seemed to realise way before everyone else that high balls into the box was not the way to play against a team who packed the defence and won just about every ball that came across from the flanks with big defenders and confident goalkeeping, more often than not he beat players and worked the ball into the danger area by playing football.

Dial a hardon for O Brien

Didn't think he was terrible but he didn't do nothing, and as far as O Brien v. Llanelli thats baws.

Slane did well when he came on but the whole team was off form.

Sutton got caught offside about 6 times tonight, canni do that, need better.

I agree with most of the guys, need to give Jim time, its still mcghee's team (well most of it anyway) so he needs time to build.

But I think slane deserves a start in Wales !!!!!

I think O Brien started off well, indeed all our positive play in the first half came from him, but it's true to say he fell out of the game. In Llanelli next week, I'd start Smith and Slane on the wings with O Brien playing just off Sutton.

To be fair I think we have to look at the state Mark Mcghee has left our team in. He seems to have gotten away without any flack, I havent seen any on here anyway?. There will be plenty of new faces in the next few weeks.

Obrien was pretty poor tonight. Lets remember 1st week back training really. These European games look as if there are just gonna be a hinderance to the new manager. We will see. I stillthink we will have enough to get through next week.

Given that JG had only a few days to both work with and assess the players why didn't he start with the most experienced team? Forbes was okay, nothing else so why take Lasley off instead of Forbes. And why bring on Slane and McHugh rather than Darren Smith.

I think there's a difference giving youth a chance and expecting too much from them.

I was disappointed in the managers tactics tonight.

Because Keith Lasley was a complete shambles, if he wasn't falling over the ball he was miscontrolling it.

I don't know if he maybe picked up an injury when he was done by their #9, but he was a total shambles.

The thing I want to know is why does Jim Gannon always wear cheap suits. Surely he is worth a bob or two and unfortunately the sign of a bad manger is always a cheap suit. Just look at Billy Reid of Hamilton, he looks as if he dresses in Primark. Come on Jim, one good suit will last a lot longer than the shit you wear, do yourself a favour and stay off the light greys and tans. you know it makes sense!!