Did Mcghee Know?

Wellworn

It's not rocket science is it?

Motherwell are never going to turn down a reasonable offer for a player.

Although the way things are going we might not have any players left!

When you think of all the players that have left over the last few season, makes you wonder what a team we could have had.

SmitH, Quinn, Clarkson, McCormack, Hughes....not to mention O'Donnell

Bit of both, I think. A guy like Clarky has played for us for a long time, so was probably ready for a fresh challenge. The uncertainty with the TV deals has probably forced our hand to some extent. However, the reason our finances are in a decent shape is because we do sell off our better players on a regular basis. Faddy, Porter, Rosco, Pearson, Skippy etc. all being sold has helped keep us in the black.

I think it's a certainty that he knew. To be honest I'm still a bit surprised Clarky and Quinn have been sold considering the major rebuilding needing done. Before they went at least it was major, now it's beyond anything I've ever seen at Motherwell!!!

It's also one of the consequences of a team of our size enjoying some relative success. Inevitably vultures begin to circle and look to pick off your assets.

Its frustating, you just wish and wonder what we might be able to achieve over a period of time but realistically you just hope that you get a decent fee for those outgoing, it keeps the club on an even keel and that there are more bubbling under to replace those who have moved on.

We're not alone ofcourse but at least I think as a club we realise that this unfortunately is our lot and our way of keeping the club going and as a support we are clued up enough to accept it - if not particularly like it.

I occasionally dip into the Hamilton forum and they are SO niaeve in terms of what will soon enough befall them with McCarthy, McCarthur and Easton etc. The can tell themselves all they like that they don't have to sell but sooner or later contracts will run down or players will get itchy feet and they'll have a rebuilding job on their hands like ourselves.

McGhee knew as far back as last summer that he would be leaving at the end of the season IMO, that's why he made no serious effort to rebuild the squad or bring in reinforcements in the January window, instead looking to loan deals to take us to the end of the campaign.

I think he was always holding out to see if he could land the Celtic job, as I'm sure Strachan would have kept him up to speed with his intentions to stand down from the job at Parkhead, so I reckon McGhee had his eyes on that job long before the end of May.

Now that Coach has followed Clarky out the door the question remains.

Did McGhee know they were getting punted so bailed out to Aberdeen rather than gamble on his reputation with a rebuilding job here?

Of course! I'm one of McGhee's biggest fans but of course he knew he had next to no chance of repeating what he did the past two seasons with all his players shifting on. And enough of the lame stuff about him not bothering to re-sign players or getting them on longer contracts, he tried it with them all.

It will be different for Gannon - his reputation will not suffer if he endures a difficult season carrying out a rebuilding job, instead he will be properly judged after that rebuilding job is finished.

McGhee who's that???? The name rings a bell but can't quite put my finger on it. :lol:

He's old news, who actually gives feck what he did or didn't know, we have to sell players and selling them when they have a short time left on their contract for a decent amount of cash is good business for a club like ours in my book. When we didn't do that and were constantly getting shafted in the transfer market people weren't happy either.....lets move on eh!!

Looking forward to see what our new manager, remember him, is planning to do. Lets concentrate on what is going to happen rather than if's and maybe's.

Of course! I'm one of McGhee's biggest fans but of course he knew he had next to no chance of repeating what he did the past two seasons with all his players shifting on. And enough of the lame stuff about him not bothering to re-sign players or getting them on longer contracts, he tried it with them all.

It will be different for Gannon - his reputation will not suffer if he endures a difficult season carrying out a rebuilding job, instead he will be properly judged after that rebuilding job is finished.

Nice to see "one of McGhee's biggest fans" admitting Shovelpuss was only in it to preserve his own reputation and that hes wasn't confident in his ability to carry out the job he was contracted to do.

Thanks for confirming what the majority of us already knew.

Is a more appropriate question not did Gannon know ?

I'm pretty sure all the candidates for the job would (or at least should) have been told that the family silver was being sold off.

As has been said elsewhere we are a selling club its perhaps bad timing that all the players have gone around the same time , but that should give Jim Gannon a decent budget for replacements.

we were just saying on the way to airdrie the other night

imagine if we had pearo faddy skippy ports rossco and clarky in the team at the same time!!!

3rd place would have been the lowest finish!!

Then again, pretty much any team in the SPL (including the OF) would be significantly improved if they still had all their best players from the past 10 years, playing at their peak.

Nice to see "one of McGhee's biggest fans" admitting Shovelpuss was only in it to preserve his own reputation and that hes wasn't confident in his ability to carry out the job he was contracted to do.

Thanks for confirming what the majority of us already knew.

You're welcome. Think he was confident of his ability to do the job but he knew short-termist so-called fans would get on his back here while he did it. Those people will find it harder to undermine Gannon, because there is a majority sentiment among fans to give a new guy a chance.