Murphy To Celtic?

dazamfc

Hopefully nothing more than a rumour doing the rounds.

As someone else said, this is a MASSIVE year for Murphy. Up until now he's very rarely started a game, not such a mystery when you consider he was up against Clarkie/Porter/McCormack/Sutton/Sheridan over the past 2 seasons. Will we finally get to see what he can do this season with Sutton being the only experienced striker at the club? (at the moment). I'd like to think so, however if Gannon sticks with his plan of having 1 man up front, I seriously doubt we're going to see the best of Murphy.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds a lot like Faddy when he made his breakthrough into the first team. I'm glad we didn't sell him on so early in his career.

I take your point, but Murphy has made 40 appearances for us now, having only scored twice (one penalty), barely any assists, etc etc. By the time Faddy had made 40 appearances for us, we all knew he was special, had scored well into double figures for us and our team was starting to mould themselves around him. To compare the two is unfair IMHO.

As it stands just now, I don't see Slane, McHugh, etc being too far behind Murphy in terms of ability and what they can bring to the team, hence why I'd happily accept a cash offer for him.

To be honest, I've still to see anything from Murphy that suggests he could be a good player for us, never mind that he could move to a higher level.

Granted he's still young but if there's decent money offered I'd happily take it even though I think this story is nonsense.

Assuming he is still here I think we should look to loan him out to the first division and see if he can cut it there (assuming we bring in a few more experienced strikers).

After all that hopefully I'll be proved wrong and he'll bang them in this season and we'll get the sort of money for him that only Hibs players seem to command at the moment icon2.gif

To be honest, I've still to see anything from Murphy that suggests he could be a good player for us, never mind that he could move to a higher level.

Granted he's still young but if there's decent money offered I'd happily take it even though I think this story is nonsense.

Assuming he is still here I think we should look to loan him out to the first division and see if he can cut it there (assuming we bring in a few more experienced strikers).

After all that hopefully I'll be proved wrong and he'll bang them in this season and we'll get the sort of money for him that only Hibs players seem to command at the moment icon2.gif

I'm taking it from this post that you never went to any game at the start of last season. The boy was happily ripping teams new arseholes.

His runs and movements from the midfield were excellant to watch and he was gliding past players for fun. His final delivery was a bit poor but that only gets better with maturity ala McFadden. He was a victim of being under used by McGhee I feel.

I genuinely feel that Jamie Murphy is a very exciting talent who faded last year. On Thursday night the Welsh mob had two people marking him, the full back and so called left midfielder or 2nd full back as he was playing. He only had Saunders as support as our central midfield where really posted missing. It was a very difficult game and due to the lack of space not much Jamie could really do.

I dont think we should sell him at all as I can feel this year will be a good year for the lad working under JG and getting a good run. Murphy is exactly what JG likes in players, athletic, mobile, versatile(plays on flanks and down the middle) and has pace to burn.

Will we finally get to see what he can do this season with Sutton being the only experienced striker at the club? (at the moment).

Sutton and striker in the same sentance shocker :D:P

Anyway, Murphy hasn't really shown to us a great amount but i'm sure if he beefed up a bit he could be a class act. He wouldn't get shoved off the ball as easy and it would make it easier for him to dribble past defenders. Also, that chance in the first 5 minutes up in bandit country should've been finished off to head start what would've been a comfortable lead.

I'm taking it from this post that you never went to any game at the start of last season. The boy was happily ripping teams new arseholes.

His runs and movements from the midfield were excellant to watch and he was gliding past players for fun. His final delivery was a bit poor but that only gets better with maturity ala McFadden. He was a victim of being under used by McGhee I feel.

I genuinely feel that Jamie Murphy is a very exciting talent who faded last year. On Thursday night the Welsh mob had two people marking him, the full back and so called left midfielder or 2nd full back as he was playing. He only had Saunders as support as our central midfield where really posted missing. It was a very difficult game and due to the lack of space not much Jamie could really do.

I dont think we should sell him at all as I can feel this year will be a good year for the lad working under JG and getting a good run. Murphy is exactly what JG likes in players, athletic, mobile, versatile(plays on flanks and down the middle) and has pace to burn.

I agree with that Siebster - we've all seen what Murphy can do when he's on song. So his ability and skill are not in question. It's just a case of seeing if he can resurrect that form on a regular basis.

That'll need a) hard work and belief in his own ability on his part b) good coaching and support from the manager and c) patience and support from the support.

He's obviously fucked wrt to c) so hopefully a) and b) can kick in.

How the fuck can a ten year old come on here, say "my mates a die hard dickhead...", spout a random name and random club, and spawn a three page fucking discussion?! :huh:

*Starts a 'McGarry to Man Utd' thread*

i agree with this man :lol:

Also McGhee's mind games last year during the whole Nancy period would have fucked up his head.

"Am i playing or no?!"

I know McGhee was a fud regarding that. "There is no kidology about it, Jamie Murphy will start on Thursday night".

Strange one - the best game I have seen JM play was for Scotland u21 v Northern Ireland u21 when he was allowed to play up top. He has all these appearances for us and many of them not in his best position. If Celtic come in with 100k I think he is too much of a risk to turn that sort of money down, may not seem much but with his 1st team record they are buying only potential and if he turns out to be a duffer its a good bit of business from us. Due to our small squad I'd keep him in an ideal world but squad size and basic financial common sense is a balancing act and h has his worth and its not that high.