Albania

Mitch

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My brother and old man got booked up for this there,looks like they are staying in Tirania on the Wednesday night.Hiring a car at the airport and driving down and back up to Tirania after the game.Will be room in the car and could split it up evenly if anyones interested.

There are loads of countries where there will be a threat of terrorism or violence, it doesn't stop people going. Loads of people go to Bulgaria, Turkey, Cyprus etc. It's not as if supporters can't make up their own mind and if anything did happen, it would have nothing to do with Motherwell fc. I'm surprised that it wasn't said earlier, I know that we had to get through the tie but surely the club could have said if we make Albania, the club won't be doing anything as regards travel.

I'm sure there won't be hundreds of fans wanting to make the trip but I'm surprised that the club would actively suggest that fans don't go, surely if fans want to go and support the team the club should welcome that and not discourage it.

Albania here we come, after club's U-turn gives fans green light to go

« Previous « PreviousNext » Next »View GalleryPublished Date: 11 July 2009 By MARTYN McLAUGHLIN IT IS a diplomatic gaffe that will ensure a daunting match becomes even more competitive. Motherwell FC were last night forced to retract a warning that urged the club's supporters not to travel to Albania for a Europa Cup fixture.The Scottish Premier League side said it had taken the advice of the Foreign Office and Strathclyde Police in recommending fans stay away from their away tie against KS Flamurtari.

However, both organisations denied the Lanarkshire club's claims, revealing that no-one had spoken to them.

The notice, posted on Motherwell's website, also provoked angry responses from fans eager to follow their side's European adventure.

The statement read: "Fans should be aware that, in the interests of safety and security, both the Foreign Office and Strathclyde Police have advised fans not to travel to Albania at all next week. As a result, the club will not be chartering a flight and would ask fans currently considering making the journey to seriously reconsider."

However, a spokeswoman for the Foreign Office said that, although there were areas of high crime in Albania, Motherwell's concerns surrounding the former communist nation appeared to be the result of "miscommunication".

She said: "Motherwell didn't contact us. I understand someone at the club just looked at our website and took certain information. There are some areas of Albania where there are concerns, but we do not have any kind of blanket ban against travelling. I think there has been a bit of miscommunication."

A spokeswoman for Strathclyde Police said it was not aware of any such advice having been offered.

The fixture makes tough demands of Motherwell, with the club's new manager looking to bed in new players ahead of the domestic season. The first leg of the Europa League qualifying tie will be held next Thursday at Flamurtari's 9,500-seater stadium in the south-western city of Vlorë.

The Albanian Superliga side have a solid pedigree, once playing against Barcelona in the former UEFA Cup.

Last night, a spokesman for Motherwell sought to reassure fans that they were not being banned from travelling. He said: "I think we've scared a few people. What the club are doing is advising people not to travel to the game; we're not stopping anyone. There are risks involved. The club are not chartering a flight and won't be able to guide people from point A to B."

He added: "Unfortunately, we misquoted the Foreign Office's advice, but fans' safety is paramount. The statement was probably not worded in the best way, but it was done with the best of intentions."

Motherwell are expected to receive about 400 tickets for the game, but the club have yet to decide how they will allocate their share of the briefs.

"We're stuck between a rock and a hard place," the spokesman explained.

"We are advising people not to travel, but, then again, we don't want fans travelling to Albania and trying to buy tickets over there."

The Motherwell players will fly to Albania, via London, with British Airways and have reservations at an upmarket hotel in the capital, Tirana.

MOTHERWELL

LOCATED off the M74, the town is surrounded by industrial parks, whisky distillers and call centres.

Plans are under way to find a new tenant for the recently closed Pound Shop on Brandon Parade, one of Motherwell's main shopping thoroughfares.

Buckfast, a traditional grape-based alcoholic drink of Scotland, is considered especially good in Motherwell.

Its history dates back to 1865. The climate is typical of the west of Scotland, with changeable summers and long, dreich winters.

Motherwell was a haunt of Susan Boyle, who once performed at the Fir Park social club.

VLORË

LOCATED on the Bay of Vlorë, the city is surrounded by gardens and olive groves.

Plans are under way to build a marina resort on Vlorë's shoreline, featuring an Imax theatre and shopping malls.

Raki, a traditional grape-based alcoholic drink of Albania, is considered especially good in Vlorë.

Vlorë's history dates from 600BC. The climate is typical of the Mediterranean, with cool wet winters and hot, dry summers – temperatures rise to 40C in June, July, August and September.

Vlorë was a stronghold of Enver Hoxha, the former Albanian prime minister

Fuxs sake, those descriptions of Motherwell and Vlore make our town sound like it's the European versoin of the third world!!!! And it makes Vlore sound like a top-notch Adriatic resort..........

There's no point in having a pop at the club - it's unchartered territory for them and it's understandable that they would choose to take the cautious approach.

On the point made about insurance, I can't speak for anyone else, but the Clydesdale Bank travel insurance is through AIG and Albania is 100% covered.

Fuxs sake, those descriptions of Motherwell and Vlore make our town sound like it's the European versoin of the third world!!!! And it makes Vlore sound like a top-notch Adriatic resort..........

"Buckfast, a traditional grape based alcoholic drink of Scotland, is considered especially good in Motherwell" :lol:

Ye jakey basturts. Someone has to be at the wind up there :D

"Buckfast, a traditional grape based alcoholic drink of Scotland, is considered especially good in Motherwell" :D

Ye jakey basturts. Someone has to be at the wind up there :D

Bit of journalistic licence there :lol:

It's not that it's considered especially good, just that it gets ye oot yir nut in double quick time :lol:

I know a few people who went to Albania recently and they all said it was one of the best trips they had ever been on. Good/cheap food/drink and friendly people, they reckoned it was a stag do/holiday destination waiting to happen a bit like Prague 15 years ago. The foreign office round-up is pretty tame if you ask me.

Anyway, there are a couple of us going for a lot less money than originally envisaged thanks to the above advice about the boat from Corfu. here are some of the details in case it helps anyone else out.

Flights to Corfu from manchester for £150 return through airflights.co.uk from late Monday to early Saturday. The only issue is getting from Saranda to Vlore, which is apparently a 5-hour drive, but I'm sure that will sort itself out when we get to Albania on the Wednesday. You can get hotels in Corfu town and Vlore for £20-25 a night if you're worried about costs creeping up. The ferry to Albania seems to be 15euros each way, so unless we get stung trying to get to Vlore it's all looking pretty reasonable.

I know a few people who went to Albania recently and they all said it was one of the best trips they had ever been on. Good/cheap food/drink and friendly people, they reckoned it was a stag do/holiday destination waiting to happen a bit like Prague 15 years ago. The foreign office round-up is pretty tame if you ask me.

Anyway, there are a couple of us going for a lot less money than originally envisaged thanks to the above advice about the boat from Corfu. here are some of the details in case it helps anyone else out.

Flights to Corfu from manchester for £150 return through airflights.co.uk from late Monday to early Saturday. The only issue is getting from Saranda to Vlore, which is apparently a 5-hour drive, but I'm sure that will sort itself out when we get to Albania on the Wednesday. You can get hotels in Corfu town and Vlore for £20-25 a night if you're worried about costs creeping up. The ferry to Albania seems to be 15euros each way, so unless we get stung trying to get to Vlore it's all looking pretty reasonable.

Hmm now I'm tempted so is that only three nights accomodation needed one in Corfu and two in Albania?

It's four nights accommodation although the plane back on the Saturday leaves about 0630 so if you were going on the ran-dan you wouldn't need a hotel friday night. Don't think my dad would have been too happy if i had told him we were staying out all night though! Octopus travel is what I used for the Corfu Town hotel but I'm sure there are plenty more options.

There were a few cheap package deals for Corfu but I couldn't find any for Corfu Town and that's where the boat is from so thought it would be easier to book flights only. Was surprised they were so cheap at this late stage.

I've now got the number of a firm that transports people from Saranda port to wherever, if there were a few folk doing the same thing then there are a number of different options for cars, people carriers, minibuses.

was thinking that myself. Perhaps the Albanian Foreign Office has issued a security warning to fans contemplating a visit to Fir Park :mellow:

Checkout their website Flamurtari No idea what it says

This is what it they are saying on the site. Some of it may be lost in translation!

11-07-09 16:29 Flamurtari: motherwell club has terheque statements fans not to come in Vlore after consultation was held with the foreign ministry of Scotland. Motherwell will receive 400 tickets, but only 50-100 Scotswoman fans will come to vl according to those forecasts.

10-07-09 19:27 colitis: where you lose nothing .... hahaha Flamurtari-matherwell a game that was .. and a must win game that will play with spirit and blood to be released some time and appear (will mean a footballer with fellow) ... only two things marim will be safe from this game ....1-journey-2-Euro and experience .. as big or small we will be .. this game will look as the leather value Flamurtari ... will satisfy or please us to finish the match as soon as possible to be?? and how I wish every fan sdo nothing other than victory or a presentation or as worthy because the disqualification is not ashamed ... disqualification with degeneracy would be ashamed, first for themselves and for the fans ... Flamurtari FORCE

10-07-09 14:13 vlonjat: nothing is impossible. Away from shopping.

10-07-09 10:42 tonivl: hardest would have to these Scotswoman. Vlore probably at least achieve a good result!

09-07-09 18:07 tonorikumi: At what time of the match played Llanellit? even with a victory today to Llanellit for them to leave garbage Scotland

06-07-09 17:14 vlonjat: The paskemi remove brain motherwell those fans, what is not writing from their forum

06-07-09 17:11 vlonjat: we can continue to believe in the training easy, this should not make no Flamurtari staff and players that will go down in the area, they should play this game as a team to play with and provide maksimumim. Do not fear from the opponents, but to evaluate their forces. Flamurtari these teams is likely to transcend but do not forget the tour in as fans and players Flamurtari staff also said that in 96 when it lozëm Slovak team, humene, and then lost two matches. Should be very carefully and should take professional matches, despite opponent, especially should not happen that often happens to Flamurtari, after making a touchdown to countenance the game, we are not in the Albanian championship, so if you behave with a team of foreign ske expectations fitosh

06-07-09 15:12 crises: chicken team motherwell

06-07-09 14:58 Flamurtari: motherwell's striker Hiding Behind llanelli number 4's belly