Flamaturi V Motherwell

jonnymfc

Any further ideas why the penalty had to be retaken? BBC are reporting that it was due to encroachment by the Albanian. In my book that means it should stand and only have been retaken if the kipper had saved the initial kick.

God knows mate. The ref was a 'mare. That was about it.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any further ideas why the penalty had to be retaken? BBC are reporting that it was due to encroachment by the Albanian. In my book that means it should stand and only have been retaken if the kipper had saved the initial kick.

Was it Billy the Fish in goals for them? :P

The keeper had nothing to do with it. He was fine.

He is absolutely entitled to the security of protection from those in front of him. And if Sutton is a numpty who totally switches off at a defensive throw in, then........................

I don't think Fraser was to blame for the goal but he is far from 'fine'.

Was at work with no internet access so it was far from easy not knowing what was going on! Sounds like we were unlucky today, they are bound to have had some chances given they have to open up at home but away fom home I'm sure they'll be much more defensive. As for the penalty, it surprised me more the Ref gave it than it was ordered to be retaken given his previous mistakes in other games, though he ballsed it up by ordering a retake - UEFA must get rid of him. No reason why we shouldn't be confident of next week's game.

Both of us Sutton's penalty's were terrible as he was lucky for the keeper to go the wrong way for his first one. Sutton at fault for the goal, lost his man and pretty much sleeping. Guy's an absolute donkey.

Obviously it would've been really hard for the players to compete in such a climate but i thought we done well. Slane was good again, maybe didn't track back enough but he can only work on this.

Referee was a disgrace and actually made the likes of McDonald, Brines etc look decent!

How is he a donkey? You wouldn't have said that after last weeks game and you would certainly not have said it if the penalty had stood and we won the game tonight.

Fair enough the retaken penalty should've been smashed in but it wasn't and he missed. But just lay off because he might just do the business next week. What would you say then?

Watched about 20 mins of the first half on a laptop in a Manchester hotel and I thought we were pretty good! Played the ball about, slane looked very impressive and young Forbe was playing some excellent passes.

Anyone on here who can criticise the players when playing in such intense heat is quite frankly a bawbag. We were very unlucky and if we can play like today with another weeks training I am confident we can turn them over in Airdrie.

Also to all the folk slating Hammel, Sutton et all - away back to yer caves and shut the fuck up!

Watched about 20 mins of the first half on a laptop in a Manchester hotel and I thought we were pretty good! Played the ball about, slane looked very impressive and young Forbe was playing some excellent passes.

Anyone on here who can criticise the players when playing in such intense heat is quite frankly a bawbag. We were very unlucky and if we can play like today with another weeks training I am confident we can turn them over in Airdrie.

Also to all the folk slating Hammel, Sutton et all - away back to yer caves and shut the fuck up!

:lol:

How is he a donkey? You wouldn't have said that after last weeks game and you would certainly not have said it if the penalty had stood and we won the game tonight.

In his defence, he came up to me at half time last week and pretty much said the same. Don't think he'll remember saying it though! :lol:

Correct Neil.

THEY battled heat and exhaustion only to be undone by a spot-kick shambles.

In the baking Balkan heat Motherwell were roasted by ropey ref Fritz Stuchlik and one flash of Emir Strati's right boot.

Sure the Steelmen were beaten, but this was no Llanelli disgrace.

They could have ended the article there andi t would have summed it up entirely. :P

For me the whole game hinged on the nalty re-take. If we had gone 1-0 up from the original kick we'd probably have won. As it was they got a huge lift from that shocking decision and naturally scored the winner shortly after.

My only concern is them scoring next week, meaning we'd need three. We have to play this sensibly but we can do it, as long as we don't go gung-ho and get caught on the break.

Still quite confident though.

Fair enough the retaken penalty should've been smashed in but it wasn't and he missed.

In my opinion if a penalty has to be retaken a different player than the one that took the original penalty should take it. How often does it happen that the retake is missed?

Must admit that I like the style of play that Gannon is instilling in the team. No constant hoofs up the park from the keeper slow patient build up from the back. Passing and movement. The current guys seems to be taking this on board well and hopefully this can only improve with more new faces arriving who can complement and enhance this style of play.

In my opinion if a penalty has to be retaken a different player than the one that took the original penalty should take it. How often does it happen that the retake is missed?

I agree with that Ya bezzer - not sure if there's stats anywhere - but I think a retaken penalty is likely to be missed in those circumstances (on the rare occasions when it's been slotted away first time). First time up the taker usually knows what he's gonna do - at a retake there's confusuion about whether to take the same pen plus the disappointment of the decision.

I dunno but it probably flips when a player gets a chance to make amends for a saved penalty - if the keeper moves for example - as he's more determined.

You shut the fuck up ya bawbag. It's an opinion, get over it.....

I said last week at the game that Sutton did play well, even gave him my man of the match but really what did he do?! Score 2 goals that got us through against a pub team?! Half of the lot that play for FPC or WTFC should be able to do that.

Yesterday he was really naive in taking the same penalty again, which if he didn't we would've came back with the away goal and with the other lot not scoring any. Also, he may be a 'striker' but no one should ever lose their marker like that. The guy just stopped!

As for Hammell, once again another player who played well against a pub team. Yes it was in a horrible heat in yesterday's game but really he should've put in a better performance than that.

So, if it was a choice between Hammell or Paterson for the left back slot i know who i'd take every minute of the day.....and his names no Stevie.

Yesterday he was really naive in taking the same penalty again, which if he didn't we would've came back with the away goal and with the other lot not scoring any.
So you think no player should take the same penalty again? If that's the case, then the keeper would think the same, right? In which case, taking the same penalty twice might be a good idea? Unless the keeper knows that the penalty taker knows that the keeper knows that.

See what a pointless argument that is?

You shut the fuck up ya bawbag. It's an opinion, get over it.....

I said last week at the game that Sutton did play well, even gave him my man of the match but really what did he do?! Score 2 goals that got us through against a pub team?! Half of the lot that play for FPC or WTFC should be able to do that.

Yesterday he was really naive in taking the same penalty again, which if he didn't we would've came back with the away goal and with the other lot not scoring any. Also, he may be a 'striker' but no one should ever lose their marker like that. The guy just stopped!

As for Hammell, once again another player who played well against a pub team. Yes it was in a horrible heat in yesterday's game but really he should've put in a better performance than that.

So, if it was a choice between Hammell or Paterson for the left back slot i know who i'd take every minute of the day.....and his names no Stevie.

You talk so much pish :unsure:

The penalty retake was ridiculous. I agree, however, the call for a penalty in the first place was rather suspicious. It certainly didn't look like a penalty.

Btw, the complains about the pitch, mushrooms, potholes, weather, bla bla bla are lame and make motherwell look like a pansy team. The opponent played in those same conditions.

I'm sorry if one of your players broke a nail or something :unsure:

The penalty retake was ridiculous. I agree, however, the call for a penalty in the first place was rather suspicious. It certainly didn't look like a penalty.

Btw, the complains about the pitch, mushrooms, potholes, weather, bla bla bla are lame and make motherwell look like a pansy team. The opponent played in those same conditions.

I'm sorry if one of your players broke a nail or something :unsure:

The penalty was only ridiculous if Albania has different rules from the rest of the world. Pulling someone's shirt (while being a very girly thing for a defender to do) is still a foul.

We didn't actually complain about the pitch - that was commented on by some reporters. Motherwell suffered from a poor playing surface at home last season, so are quite used to uneven playing surfaces. The style of football we like to play, however, is better played on a flat surface and that will be to our advantage in the second leg.

Have you checked on the age of the Motherwell players yet? Or are you hoping that embarrassing comment of yours is forgotten? It sounded like an early excuse in case you lose the second leg. Unfortunately, you will see a lot of teenagers in the Motherwell team, so if you do lose, you will have lost to players who were playing in last year's Under-19 squad.