This "pre-season"....one Of The Best?

ankles

After following the Well for over 40 years,i have to say this is the best pre season there's been.I'd take being in the Europa cup every year even with the three qualifying rounds rather than piss poor friendlies.Maybe its an age thing where i now dont take things so much to heart but the amount of moaning done about the club by some people borders on the ridiculous at timesJust look at the last two weeks :mellow: .By the time the SPL starts we will be ready for it and will be a lot better prepared than some of our rivals,our Manager has probably gained about a months work in assessing the players by having competitive games now.We have a great game on Thursday to look forward to and if we get through ,how good is that gonna be? So quit moaning and get your asses over to Dungland on thurs and enjoy the good times.

MON THE WELL :thumbup:

Agree ankles, this will definitely make the players fit for the start of the SPL season rather than the usual pre-season friendlies.

• 3 weeks later...

Stand by what i said,i'd take the last few weeks all over again next season and for the start of any other season in the future. Picture this, walking up pre season to The Ark to sort out your seating for the friendlies aganst Wolves and Forest :O , Doesn"t do it for me,Europa cup anyday. Some people might not understand but last thursday filled me with so much pride. I'd rather lose 3-1 with a team of triers than lose with some of the spineless bastards that have pulled on a Mfc shirt in my time of watchin the Well. Onwards and upwards,

Mon the Well :nod:

Time for those who dissed the Intertoto to take their slice of humble pie. I knew I was right (even though I only wanted a few days on the lash out of it) :nod:

One of them would've been me and I stand by every word I said! :O

Nah seriously, it has been great to get some form of competitive football in before the season starts. At the start I thought it could possibly affect our season and I'd have much rather we concentrated on the league but I have to hold my hands up and say, this has probably been the best preparation we could've asked for.

Hopeully this pre season will stand us in good stead for the start of the campaign and we can get into Europe through our league position next year!

Gannon backs Slane for big stage

Published Date: 09 August 2009 By Ewing Grahame

MOTHERWELL have produced their fair share of players for the Scotland team in recent years, with James McFadden, Stephen Pearson, Steven Hammell and David Clarkson all rising through the ranks to represent their country.However, new manager Jim Gannon believes that, in the slight frame of 17-year-old winger Paul Slane, he may be in possession of the most stellar talent to emerge from the Lanarkshire club for decades. Indeed, such is the impact Slane has made during the club's Europa League campaign that Gannon claims he's a better prospect than England striker Theo Walcott, who left Southampton for Arsenal at the same age in a £12.5 million deal three years ago.

"For me, Paul epitomises everything you would want in a wide attacker," said Gannon. "He has pace, but it's pace with the ball that excites the fans and is the most amazing thing about him. He travels very well with it and is two-footed. He also has a fantastic appetite for the game.

"We aren't going to expect too much from him. It's going to be a very demanding season for him – it's already been a demanding pre-season because he's had to step up for European games.

"I'm looking forward to working with him. As an old coach said, it is everybody's dream to be working with the next Zico, even though my young players won't know who Zico is! Paul doesn't have the same pace as Theo Walcott but I think he is more skilful. He moves better and has more agility and balance, he can move inside and outside."

Gannon has thus far preferred youth over experience when it comes to team selection. Teenagers Jamie Murphy, Shaun Hutchinson, Ross Forbes, Steven Saunders and Robert McHugh have broken through, while the players the manager has brought to the club – Chris Humphrey (20), Giles Coke (23) and Steve Jennings (24) – are nearer the beginning than the end of their careers. Even John Ruddy, the goalkeeper on loan from Everton, is only 22.

"I came in with fresh eyes and was very open- minded," said Gannon. "They say first impressions last and I watched the team against Rhyl in a pre-season match. In many ways that was a very disappointing display, losing to them 3-1 prior to losing to Llanelli. At first you give due respect to those players who have SPL experience or have a reputation, but there were players who caught my eye in the first couple of games. It's a clean slate for everybody now."

Striker John Sutton, a veteran at 25, has watched the next generation of native talent progress and he's been impressed by the way the youngsters have coped with their rapid ascent.

"I started at Tottenham and I was stuck in the youth team there," he said. "We never got near the first team, we never played or developed relations with them.That's the advantage of being at a club like Motherwell. The young guys get an opportunity to train and play with us all the time. I looked at Paul and thought he'd eventually be a big player for us."

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/footb...-big.5536994.jp

Hopefully the season will be as good as pre-season :O

Negotiate.

Take £6m and Vela, Wilshere, Gibbs and a few others on loan for a few seasons and win the league :mellow:

Only problem is keeping the beggars away. Good thing is though, publicity like this (and Europa games) will alert other clubs who will pay much more than the O/F.

... that is all in the future though. Looking forward to seeing them all in action this season.

If Arsene Wenger came in with a 12.5 Million bid for Slane what would we be advising the club to do? :P

Tell him to chuck Robin van Persie in as part of the deal, he's out injured just now so they'd need to pay his wages till he's fit , or Theo Walcott after all Gannon says he's not as good as slane so we'd be doing them a favour :lol: